• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Cosmic Encounters from FFG--Any Good?

Felon

First Post
Don't see any threads about specifically, nor is it mentioned in any of the "favorite game" threads, so I figured I'd ask about it. I know it's a game with a long, sordid history and several iterations. I'm curious to know what folks think of the current incarnation published by FFG.

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
Don't see any threads about specifically, nor is it mentioned in any of the "favorite game" threads, so I figured I'd ask about it. I know it's a game with a long, sordid history and several iterations. I'm curious to know what folks think of the current incarnation published by FFG.

I've got it, though I haven't played it yet. Very impressive edition: great bits, and 50 alien races. Oh, and they've included some stuff that will come into play once they get an expansion out...

Cheers!

Asmor

First Post
I've got the Avalon Hill edition, and I'd really like to get the FFG edition if I can ever justify spending the money on it. It'd be a no brainer if not for the fact that I already own it...

General concensus is that it's the best edition of the game yet, with a good mix of old and new and some much-needed clarifications.

Badwe

First Post
I played cosmic encounter a few times many moons ago, and generally enjoyed it. For me the main appeal to it has always been that it was one of Richard Garfield's inspirations for magic: the gathering.

Gansk

Explorer
I played the FFG version and had just as much fun as the original. We used to play the original version so much that it is basically falling apart.

The FFG version has enough new powers and cards to shake things up, plus they changed the rules for flares so that they are not discarded after use. You just have to get used to the attack card distribution - they are very few cards with values above 15.

Gryffyn

First Post
It is a very good edition of the game. I've played with the Eon and Mayfair editions also. The FFG one is the best presented, not just in terms of artwork, but in how much the design of the cards and components make learning and playing the game easier.

Furthermore, Kevin Wilson, who developed this edition of the game, really really gets it, and it shows.

One thing, though; boardgame design has changed a lot in last thirty years. Back in the day, CE's utter chaos and randomness was considered a feature, not a bug. These days, many boardgame fans have the reverse opinion. If you prefer games with minimal randomness (say, Agricola), then CE might be too crazy for you.

I think it's one of the best games ever, and its influence on modern game designs of all kinds is pretty evident. "Exception-based" rules design blossomed from CE, by all accounts.

Asmor

First Post
One thing, though; boardgame design has changed a lot in last thirty years. Back in the day, CE's utter chaos and randomness was considered a feature, not a bug. These days, many boardgame fans have the reverse opinion. If you prefer games with minimal randomness (say, Agricola), then CE might be too crazy for you.

You seem to be confusing a particular boardgame paradigm (Eurogames) with boardgamedom as a whole.

There are plenty of games that would make a CE fan proud. Munchkin and Fluxx are two obvious examples of chaotic games which can be fun if you're into that sort of thing.

Remove ads