• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D Movie/TV Could D&D/MtG tv/movies replace Superhero movies?

I wouldn’t be too sure about that. One survey I found right away has the younger cohort with the strongest viewership. Stranger Things viewership in the U.S. by age 2017 | Statista

With most of the protagonists being kids, lots of kids (and that includes 20-somethings) will watch it.
Might want to screenshot that, Statista is blocking me until I give them money, I dunno if it is to others.

But I mean I agree - it seems from people I know and what I've seen online that actually the main ST audience is people who either weren't alive when it was set or were tiny babies (like the showrunners/writers, btw - they were born in 1984 so were tiny babies until the '90s).

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
Might want to screenshot that, Statista is blocking me until I give them money, I dunno if it is to others.

But I mean I agree - it seems from people I know and what I've seen online that actually the main ST audience is people who either weren't alive when it was set or were tiny babies (like the showrunners/writers, btw - they were born in 1984 so were tiny babies until the '90s).
That's... really weird. I can get to it sometimes, but now I'm getting blocked on some links too. So here's the screenshot:
StrangerThingsViewers.png

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Plus we've had a ton of these movies just dominating TV & Movies like decades now with piles more coming out in the next couple of years and honestly few of them look good or exciting.

Your personal level of excitement isn't really a great indicator, though.

D&D & MtG on hand are making money hand over fist. All it would take is for Honor Among Thieves & the MtG cartoons to be a moderate success, while Superhero movies and films continue to circle the drain, to begin the shift.

So, D&D has a leg up in the RPG market, due to long standing familiarity - it was first, so it is recognized.

The media market is much larger than the RPG market. In the movie market, Superheroes have a leg up because they have a long standing familiarity the likes of which D&D has not attained, even counting D&D's current success.

The folks making D&D movies have not yet so much as worked out how to make solid fantasy movies. Predicting them as the "next big thing" is rather premature.

I only have my own experience to draw on, but I've had to explain the appeal of the show to my 30-something friends. And I haven't heard it mentioned in playground chatter, unlike The OA, which seemed to have built up a substantial teenage following before it was axed.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
That's... really weird. I can get to it sometimes, but now I'm getting blocked on some links too. So here's the screenshot:

You have to be very careful with statistics, and their visualizations. We cannot tell for sure that there's shenanigans to prove a point in there, but note - those columns are not the same width. The 1st column is 11 years, the second is 14 years, the third and fourth buckets only 9 years each, and the last bucket indeterminate. And, lots of potential audience is under 18, and they aren't present in the chart at all!

That should give us pause about drawing conclusions from this information.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
The MCU revenue has dropped 50%.

Dropped 50% as compared to what point in time? This data is meaningless without that information

For example, global box office overall dropped 50% in 2021 compared to pre-pandemic times. So, it may be the MCU is merely tracking with the global trend, which would suggest the relative popularity of the movies remains unchanged.

Remove ads