• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Could SCAG be power creep?

ZickZak

Explorer
It opens up some stuff and more options to classes, especially if you are allowed to MC. Wouldnt say any of them are OP. Strictly for the character building itself... I dont know. But if you enjoy the rest of the book and would use it somehow, yes, it is worth it.

Al2O3

Explorer
One new option I would consider interesting with SCAG rules: Half-elf variant with Booming Blade as swashbuckling rogue. Attack enemy melee characters, then run away.

jayoungr

Legend
Supporter
[*]Purple Dragon Knight. This sub-class is way underpowered, at least until 10th level when it move up to "eh". I'd say it's by far the weakest fighter subclass. Cool, but the others (including Champion which I'm not a big fan of) are stronger.
Are you talking in terms of personal damage output? My understanding is that the PDK is intended as more of a support class, making the rest of the party more effective without necessarily doing great DPR on its own.

spectacle

First Post
Are you talking in terms of personal damage output? My understanding is that the PDK is intended as more of a support class, making the rest of the party more effective without necessarily doing great DPR on its own.
If that was the intention behind the subclass it's a failure . Up until 10th level the only thing the PDK can do to support the party is a tiny bit of healing per short rest, after 10th it can grant an ally one extra attack per short rest. A battlemaster with Commander's Strike, Rally and Manouvering Attack is going to be a much better "support" fighter than the PDK will ever be.

Al2O3

Explorer
The intent behind both those manouvers and PDK/Banneret is that they should be similar to the 4e Warlord. I consider PDK less of a failure in that sense since it at least makes me want to try it when I just read about it. Any opinions about wanting the support from both subclasses belong in the "Temporary Warlord Forum".

Rhogar_Rarr

First Post
One new option I would consider interesting with SCAG rules: Half-elf variant with Booming Blade as swashbuckling rogue. Attack enemy melee characters, then run away.

I have a skirmisher style character that is a rogue-swashbuckler 5/ fighter-battlemaster 3. He picked up booming blade through magic initiate. He goes in against a single target, drops huge damage and then simply walks away. I find it as an interesting and rewarding playstyle.

Now for the actual thread. I don't think the SCAG has the issue of power creep. The cantrips are good for battle, but still not as damaging as multiple attacks with Great Weapon Master or Sharpshooter. I believe that some of the subclasses are comparable options to things found in the PHB. And the races just provide more variation and options, but nothing that seems too broken (flight is certainly debatable). Overall there are certainly some good options, but it is all within the same realm of power as the PHB.

PnPgamer

Explorer
Honestly I was tired and moderately tipsy while posting, it's more likely I just failed at math. So we'll say 10% undecided.
64653749.jpg

Remove ads