D&D 4E Could the 4e Shaman be a Druid Subclass?

The Circle of Spores came up with the idea of replacing Wildshape uses to do other things, and I feel this could potentially open the door to a Druid with has a Spirit Companion which can occasionally attack. Though the Beastmaster Ranger ran into many problems because of the action economy and the restrictions put on it. Maybe less of a case with the companion being vulnerable, since 4e generally didn't give it stats and all attacks or things the companion did were simply uses of power from the Shaman.

But would it be fine to have the spirit companion be something a Shaman Druid can move on their turn, use as the origin for some of their Druid spells, and if they spend a wildshape use (and possibly concentration) to "manifest" the spirit it gets a Cantrip-like scaling melee attack.

Tony Vargas

Legend
The ideas been floated before. I'm not sure if the use should be just for manifesting an attack, or for conjuring the spirit in the first place...

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
My shaman is a cleric subclass. I do like the idea of using wildshape for different effects though and summoning up a spirit would be a good use for it.

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
I'll try something:
Circle of Spirits

lvl2: Spirit Companion - At level 2, a druid can expand a use of Wild Shape as a bonus action to call forth a the spirit of an animal to his sides. The conjured spirits follow the same restriction as written on the Wildshape table and has the same duration or until the caster is unconscious or dead. The spirit companion share the same statistic as the desired creature, but lacks any Hit Points. If the spirit companion is hit for 10+1/2 druid levels damage in a single attack, it is send back to the spirit realm and any remaining damage from the hit is transferred to the druid. Spirit Companions are not considered as allies for the purpose of beneficial effects from other characters. On its turn, the druid can split his movemement between him and the spirit and use one of these 2 actions:
- Spirit Gate: The druid can cast a spell with the spirit companion as the origin point. If the spell requires concentration, the Druid is the one maintaining it.
- Spirit manifested: As an Action, the spirit companion makes a single attack with your Wis mod bonus to attack and damage. Until the end of the druid's next turn, the Spirit companion can make AoO against enemies.

lvl6: Spirit Walk: The druid can move through other creatures and objects as if they were difficult terrain. It takes 1d10 force damage if it ends its turn inside an object. Wis mod/Short rest.

lvl10: One with the Spirit: Once per day you can cast one of Hallow, Death ward or Speak with Dead as a ritual without components.

lvl14: Eyes of the Spirits: you can see in the Ethereal and invisible creatures. Undead creatures lose their resistance and Immunities when next to a Spirit Companion.

Remove ads