• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Could WotC Put the Genie Back in the Bottle?

Axiomatic Unicorn

First Post
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Could WotC Put the Genie Back in the Bottle?

Lizard said:

I'm sorry ,but you don't understand the license.

The D20 *mechanics* are covered in the SRD. Classes, skills, feats, combat, all that.

The *only* thing the D20 STL grants is the right to put a "D20" ***LOGO*** on the book, and limited use of the "Dungeons&Dragons" trademark in marketing.

If the D20 license were revoked tomorrow, Sword&Sorcery could reprint "Relics&Rituals" entirely under the OGL merely by changing the cover. (And updating the license pages as appropriate)

No actual game material is covered by the D20 STL. It's a TRADEMARK license only.

Sorry, but the d20 system guide explains the relationship.

Nothing in the OGL allows you to use the SRD.

Florin

First Post
Right now, with the OGL, a publisher could use anything that's been released under the OGL to use however they want. The only things this would affect right now are monsters and spells, and Anthony Valterra(sp?) has assured us that things will continue to be released (since he's the one who's been handling all the OGL/SRD stuff since Ryan left), so I'm willing to bet that at the very least spells and monsters will make it into the SRD.

With those two things in the SRD, the ONLY thing the gaming community would lose was access to the d20 system logo trademark. And like many have said, publishers would just come up with another logo that would mean "Compatible with the most popular role-playing game in the world." So, everyone would KNOW it was a d20 game, they just couldn't say it. In fact, there have been a number of logos proposed for that exact meaning.

As for the reverse engineering, there is a group that has started on it. I don't remember the name, but I do know the code name for the project is Mammoth. :) Maybe a member will speak up about how far along they are, but I know very little about it.

Vuron

First Post
Axiomatic is right content has to be released as OGC to be fully utilized under the OGL. At the current time that is about 12 modules give or take of the total SRD. Until they are official released as such they are convered by a gentleman's agreement of sorts.

However copyright law does not extend to games rules so one in theory could apply the general exception to games mechanics in producing a derivative product however you would have to be very very careful in avoiding the use of Product Identity.

Florin

First Post
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Could WotC Put the Genie Back in the Bottle?

Axiomatic Unicorn said:

Okay, now you are severely mistaken. The OGL is what lets you use the SRD. The SRD was released under the OGL. The d20 system guide has SQUAT to do with the SRD. It does require use of the OGL, it does say you can't change the name of certain terms, and it does say you can't include character creation or application of experience in the product, but it says nothing about having to, or not having to, use the SRD.

In fact, if I wanted to, I could publish a cookbook, slap the OGL into it, slap the d20 logo on it, and say "requires the use of the Dungeons & Dragons Players Handbook" on it.

JohnNephew

First Post
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Could WotC Put the Genie Back in the Bottle?

Axiomatic Unicorn said:

The fact that the SRD is released under the OGL is what allows you to use it. (If it were not released under the OGL, why would WotC have created the OGL, rather than just the D20STL?) Which passage of the d20 System Trademark License and guide is confusing you on this point?

Remember, it's the D20 System Trademark License -- a license for the use of the D20 System trademark. In order to use the trademark, you must agree to all kinds of provisions beyond the Open Game License. If you choose not to use the trademark, you do not need the license, and you may do what you please under the terms of the OGL alone (including, if it tickles your fancy, redefining "Chaotic Evil" as a game term to mean "Loves Plush Stuffed Animal and Watches Reality TV Avidly").

I'd encourage you to check the archives of the OGL and D20 mailing lists (aren't they available on opengamingfoundation.org?), if you are skeptical, as this issue has been discussed at length on multiple occasions.

Axiomatic Unicorn

First Post
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Could WotC Put the Genie Back in the Bottle?

Florin said:

Okay, now you are severely mistaken. The OGL is what lets you use the SRD. The SRD was released under the OGL. The d20 system guide has SQUAT to do with the SRD. It does require use of the OGL, it does say you can't change the name of certain terms, and it does say you can't include character creation or application of experience in the product, but it says nothing about having to, or not having to, use the SRD.

In fact, if I wanted to, I could publish a cookbook, slap the OGL into it, slap the d20 logo on it, and say "requires the use of the Dungeons & Dragons Players Handbook" on it.

Yeah, so I was wrong. Whats you point?

Florin

First Post
From the d20 System Guide
Rights Licensed:

This guide provides guidelines and instructions for the use of the following copyrights and/or trademarks, which are and shall remain the sole property of Wizards of the Coast, Inc.

• The d20 System Trademark logo
  • The trademark "d20 System"
  • Dungeons & Dragons
  • The Dungeons & Dragons logo
  • Wizards of the Coast

That's all it does. It does not allow you to use the d20 system at all, just the trademarks and copyrights to those 5 things.

Last edited:

Florin

First Post
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Could WotC Put the Genie Back in the Bottle?

Axiomatic Unicorn said:

Yeah, so I was wrong. Whats you point?

My point is that you are spreading misinformation that might scare some people needlessly. WotC cannot put the genie back in the bottle.

Axiomatic Unicorn

First Post
Florin said:

My point is that you are spreading misinformation that might scare some people needlessly. WotC cannot put the genie back in the bottle.

Um, the last part was supposed to be a joke.

I am sorry that I misunderstood.

If you can't accept that gracefully, then I am sorry for that as well.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads