Council of Thieves, Act I - The Bastards of Erebus [DISCUSSION]

Mark Chance

Boingy! Boingy!
I'm interested in a PF PbP, but there's no way I'm going to drop the money on the official rules, especially with unemployment looming very near in my future. Of course, if any of you all want to buy me the book, I'll be happy to provide you a shipping address.

:)

That said, if the changes between the Beta and the Book aren't too great, and I can get by with the Beta, color me intrigued.

SelcSilverhand

First Post
I'd be interested, I've been DM'ing "Rise of the Runelords" for the past few months using the Beta rules and my group loves them. We're at the end of book 5 now. I think everyone in the group has the final rules on pre-order now. I plan on getting the PDF (mostly since I have my own color LJ printer at work =P).

Malvoisin

First Post
I'm interested in a PF PbP, but there's no way I'm going to drop the money on the official rules, especially with unemployment looming very near in my future. Of course, if any of you all want to buy me the book, I'll be happy to provide you a shipping address.

:)

That said, if the changes between the Beta and the Book aren't too great, and I can get by with the Beta, color me intrigued.

Mark, sorry to hear that you'll be jobless soon. I hope things turn around for you quickly on that front.

As for the rules, it may just be possible to play from the SRD, assuming they do one. And I'm pretty sure they will, considering that one already exists for the Beta rules. Based on the previews I've seen on Paizo's site, the final rules look like they may be different enough from the Beta that it may be difficult to play using only those. But, we'll have to wait and see for sure.

In any case, if this game should happen (and I'm feeling more and more encouraged that it will), I'm pretty confident that we could work something out that would allow you to play. :)

Malvoisin

First Post
So, SelcSilverhand makes a fourth pretty solid expression of interest (plus two maybes). That's enough support to make me think we could have a viable gaming group here. Quality players, too! :D

Too bad August 13th is still so far away....but, on the brighter side, it allows me time to make sure I'll be ready to go when the rules and adventures do release.

For those who have expressed interest, does anyone have preference whether we play Crypt of the Everflame (part one of a three-part module series) or Bastards of Erebus (part one of the Council of Thieves adventure path). We'd be starting with first level characters either way. But, if one or t'other sounds more appealing just say the word.

Shayuri

First Post
I've no preference, I suppose. An adventure path might have more 'upwards mobility,' but I'm not sure how big a factor that is. They both sound interesting from the titles, and that's all I know about either. :)

I'd never heard of either adventure, so I visited the paizo website to read up on both. Of the two, The Bastards of Erebus looks like it might receive better (ie: fuller) support from paizo, which makes it probably the more appealing of the two modules IMO. The downside is that the product literature makes it sound a wee bit tiefling-centered. I've no idea whether that's true, it's just the impression I got. Crypt of the Everflame didn't really catch my attention, except for the one snippet that it might include a bit of wilderness adventuring, which is always good because it opens the door to viable druid and ranger PCs.

It occurred to me just now that, should this game in fact get rolling, I do NOT want to play the cleric. I nearly always wind up playing the cleric for one reason or another (half the time by choice, I admit) and am sick of clerics for the moment. Don't get me wrong, I like the class--it's just that I've played it to death.

Fair warning. :)

Malvoisin

First Post
I've no preference, I suppose. An adventure path might have more 'upwards mobility,' but I'm not sure how big a factor that is. They both sound interesting from the titles, and that's all I know about either. :)

I'd recommend a visit to Paizo's website and a look at the product descriptions, if you'd like to know a bit more, Shayuri.

Malvoisin

First Post
I'd never heard of either adventure, so I visited the paizo website to read up on both. Of the two, The Bastards of Erebus looks like it might receive better (ie: fuller) support from paizo, which makes it probably the more appealing of the two modules IMO. The downside is that the product literature makes it sound a wee bit tiefling-centered. I've no idea whether that's true, it's just the impression I got. Crypt of the Everflame didn't really catch my attention, except for the one snippet that it might include a bit of wilderness adventuring, which is always good because it opens the door to viable druid and ranger PCs.

The Council of Thieves AP looks like it will be extremely urban-centered, so wilderness oriented PCs would probably be under-utilized. The AP will also have a free player's guide, so that has a strong appeal. Tieflings and devils are likely to play large adversarial roles, so if that's a turn off, could be an issue.

Crypt of the Everflame looks much more like a traditional low-level dungeon crawl, with some tasty Paizo flavor. Which could be a very good thing as well.

Remove ads