Counter spell and calling out spell levels

Ooooookay. Way to ignore the entire post in order to focus on something irrelevant. Have fun.

I'm not ignoring anything. I think I'm just not understanding the point you are trying to make. I just pulled your example out of the quote to save space.

Can you clarify?

Edit: are you suggesting someone who plays 3e should adopt the 5e version of counterspell to make it more useful?

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
I'm not ignoring anything. I think I'm just not understanding the point you are trying to make. I just pulled your example out of the quote to save space.

Can you clarify?

The most important point of the post was my dissatisfaction with how 3e made counterspell nearly useless by making it a readied action. So if I ported the 3e counterspell into 5e, I would change the 3e version to be a reaction. By simply talking about the 5e version being a reaction, you are ignoring the main point of my post.

Myzzrym

Explorer
Disadvantage might be a good application to making the Arcana Check as a reaction AND casting Counterspell (since it is also a reaction). If they character does one OR the other, no problem, but if they want to try to do both using only one reaction, impose disadvantage on either the Arcana Check or the Counterspell roll or even both if you want (but that might be too harsh...).

Agreed that's what I meant, someone was suggesting to make an automatic Arcana check for free right before casting Counterspell. Depending on what he was doing during the round (like dodging arrows left and right), I'd give him disadvantage or not. Of course, I wouldn't if he spent an action to do an arcana check

Remove ads