D&D 5E Countering Rest Spells (Tiny Hut, Rope Trick, et al)

Tony Vargas

Legend
The spell explicitly says that any objects, which include arrows and such, that are inside the Hut when cast, can pass through freely. That means that you can attack with them. What makes you think the spell doesn't intend what it explicitly states is true?
It doesn't make much sense in terms of the clear intent of the spell as a rest-button rather than a bizarre force-field pillbox.
I think the intent was more simply that the caster had to stay in the hut, and his allies could enter or leave. Stating that concisely without tripping up on technicalities would have required something more precise than 5e's jargon-lite natural-language style. So it's up to the DM to rule as he sees works best for his game.

Certainly, with a spell as open to abuse as this, it's fair to rule in fairly restrictive ways.

And, well, it's one of those things....

Creatures within the dome when you cast this spell can move through it freely, and objects⁠ within the dome when you cast this spell can move through it freely.

VS

(Creatures and objects⁠) within the dome when you cast this spell can move through it freely.

Other reasonable phrasings might've been "Creatures and their gear that within the dome when you cast this spell can move through it freely." or "Creatures within the dome when you cast this spell can move through it freely, and can take objects that they had with them, but cannot bring objects from outside the dome into it." (If that's the intent, though why it should prohibit foraging, I'm not sure).

Etc...

For my game, I will allow arrows to be fired out, and then back in if possible.
Heh.
OK, there is that, too.
;)

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
It doesn't make much sense in terms of the clear intent of the spell as a rest-button rather than a bizarre force-field pillbox.

Then it needs to let nothing in or out. If it makes an exemption for objects that are inside, then those objects can go back and forth however the owner wishes. It's nonsense for the arrow to be able to be tossed out, but not shot out.

I think the intent was more simply that the caster had to stay in the hut, and his allies could enter or leave. Stating that concisely without tripping up on technicalities would have required something more precise than 5e's jargon-lite natural-language style.

Then they should have just made it so it traps everyone inside, ending the spell if anyone or anything exits.

Heh.
OK, there is that, too.
;)
What's good for the goose and all that.

Tony Vargas

Legend
Then they should have just made it so it traps everyone inside, ending the spell if anyone or anything exits.
That'd've worked. I think, as a tent ritual, it'd've made more sense if your allies could free enter and leave, carrying things with them, so they could forage &c.
Of course, then it could be 'abused' by running out, grabbing some critical McGuffin the BBEG needs to complete his ritual before midnight, and then hiding in the Hut until the stars are no longer right.

I think, ultimately, every prior edition had it right, and this is just an instance were 5e screwed up.

Remove ads