• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Countering Rest Spells (Tiny Hut, Rope Trick, et al)

Asisreo

Patron Badass
My goals are to challenge the players via their PCs and create an enjoyable game.

What breaks spells for me is generally not power. I'm really not overly concerned with balance. 3e was a bit too unbalanced for me, but I still loved it. 1e and 2e were fine. What breaks spells for me is when they allow the group to bypass significant portions of the game.

Pre-5e teleport and Rope Trick are prime examples. The doesn't actually bother me, because it's visible and the world can interact with it. The Rope Trick being both invisible and placed high up in the air means that it will almost never be interacted with.

Maybe I've just been spoiled by playing with a bunch of highly intelligent and highly creative people for so long. It generally only takes a few minutes for them(or myself) to come up with something great. And I'm not saying that everything will work.
Is your issue with rope trick or leomund's. Rope trick is different. It can actually be bypassed with truesight and other forms of detecting invisibility. Not through seeing the characters but from seeing the entrance. It's actually not that great in the wilderness where creatures have keen smell since it's an opening, you only look through it as if it's a window. "How would an enemy get up there?" You ask? Probably by using the rope they have still dangling down there, assuming they need to get down without taking fall damage or not so low that they don't take fall damage (the creature with keen smell can probably just jump in). If they plan on throwing the rope down before they do, cool. But flying enemies do exist, so some can just fly up.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Nope. Read the whole thread.
Then you badly misunderstood the last exchange if that was your response, because this, "It the dragon is unlikely to find a Hut, it’s even less likely to find a carefully hidden camp set up by the party ranger. " is utterly nonsensical in response to what I said.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Then you badly misunderstood the last exchange if that was your response, because this, "It the dragon is unlikely to find a Hut, it’s even less likely to find a carefully hidden camp set up by the party ranger. " is utterly nonsensical in response to what I said.
Lol okay, Max. 👍

Anoth

Adventurer
I don’t try to screw anyone over with their abilities and spells. But dragons. I’m very lenient on what a dragon can do, RAW be darned to heck. I can easily see a dragon with their senses perceiving an extra dimensional space. But I am a dragon fanboy.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Lol okay, Max. 👍
Wait. You're serious?

Oofta: Dragons can go out and find a wizard to come back and dispel the Hut.

Me: Dragons live in remote areas and the hut lasts 8 hours, it's unlikely that the dragon will be able to find a wizard within 4 hours of where it lives.

You: It the dragon is unlikely to find a Hut, it’s even less likely to find a carefully hidden camp set up by the party ranger.

You seriously think your response follows reasonably from that exchange?

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
I don’t try to screw anyone over with their abilities and spells. But dragons. I’m very lenient on what a dragon can do, RAW be darned to heck. I can easily see a dragon with their senses perceiving an extra dimensional space. But I am a dragon fanboy.
A dragon can sense invisible things, or could prior to 5e. I haven't even begun to look at them in 5e since I use them very rarely for the reasons Oofta mentions. I take off all gloves and the party typically runs or dies. Dragons would be one of the few in the "almost never" part. ;)

Anoth

Adventurer
Wait. You're serious?

Oofta: Dragons can go out and find a wizard to come back and dispel the Hut.

Me: Dragons live in remote areas and the hut lasts 8 hours, it's unlikely that the dragon will be able to find a wizard within 4 hours of where it lives.

You: It the dragon is unlikely to find a Hut, it’s even less likely to find a carefully hidden camp set up by the party ranger.

You seriously think your response follows reasonably from that exchange?
Dragon fanboy having fun with guy guys. I can easily see dragons being aware of all the power players in the world as their minds sift through the astral winds while they sleep. They learn from stray thoughts and foolish mortals sending ripples through the weave as they cast spells. The dragon know the identity of the powerful wizards of the world and even the general location of those nearby working a 100 miles.

I’m sorry guys. You all are giving me bursts of creativity. Carry on. I apologize. Not trying to be rude.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Dragon fanboy having fun with guy guys. I can easily see dragons being aware of all the power players in the world as their minds sift through the astral winds while they sleep. They learn from stray thoughts and foolish mortals sending ripples through the weave as they cast spells. The dragon know the identity of the powerful wizards of the world and even the general location of those nearby working a 100 miles.

I’m sorry guys. You all are giving me bursts of creativity. Carry on. I apologize. Not trying to be rude.
No worries! :)

Big J Money

Adventurer
Wow, Leomund's Tiny Hut should be named Leomund's War Bunker. This is a seriously nice spell. I don't remember it being this good in past editions, but maybe we just didn't use it often.

That being said, it has one serious flaw: when your enemy knows your position, and it is immobile, they have the strategic advantage. They can put up walls and other defenses around you to avoid your ranged attacks and lay siege to you. They can go out of your sight and make plans. They have open access to everything around you and you can't know what they're up to.

Leomund's War Bunker would be a great spell if you can wage some quick warfare with it, and then get out again. But if you remain camped, eventually you will be outmaneuvered in one of the ways you and others here have described.

Remove ads