coup-de-grace

whatisitgoodfor

First Post
The other night while playing, two characters started working in a tag-team combo. The wizard casts Hold Monster, and the cleric performs a coup de grace using Inflict Moderate Wounds.

This is, of course, a very devestating combo (uh, make a DC 50 fort save).

However, this is the question that occured to me: "If the inflict/cure spells both require a touch attack to work, and can both score a critical hit, can you perform a coup de grace action with a CLW, effectively doubling its curing power?"

Mark

CreativeMountainGames.com
Nevermind. I am wrong regarding the use of, or considering touch attacks as weapons.

Last edited:

Caliban

Rules Monkey
whatisitgoodfor said:
The other night while playing, two characters started working in a tag-team combo. The wizard casts Hold Monster, and the cleric performs a coup de grace using Inflict Moderate Wounds.

However, this is the question that occured to me: "If the inflict/cure spells both require a touch attack to work, and can both score a critical hit, can you perform a coup de grace action with a CLW, effectively doubling its curing power?"

You can only critical or Coup de Grace when doing damage. A cure spell does not do damage (except when being cast on undead).

kreynolds

First Post
From the SRD:

Coup de grace [Full][AoO: Yes]

Description: A combatant can use a melee weapon to deliver a coup de grace to a helpless foe. A combatant can also use a bow or crossbow, provided the combatant is adjacent to the target. The attacker automatically hits and scores a critical hit. If the target survives the damage, the target must make a Fortitude save (DC 10 + damage dealt) or die.

It's overkill, but a rogue also gets her extra sneak attack damage against a helpless foe when delivering a coup de grace.

A combatant can't deliver a coup de grace against an opponent that is immune to critical hits, such as a golem.

Coup de grace with a CLW? :rolleyes: Feel lucky. You got away with it.

Artoomis

First Post
[quiote]A combatant can use a melee weapon to deliver a coup de grace to a helpless foe. A combatant can also use a bow or crossbow, provided the combatant is adjacent to the target...[/quote]

I don't think you can Coup de Grace without using a weapon (which makes sense, really). I don't think touch attacks count as weapons for this purpose.

So, at least as I see it, it's a moot point since you can't do it at all with spells.

whatisitgoodfor

First Post
Oh, it hasn't happened yet, I'm just wondering if it can.

Since the mechanism for them is the same, I was simply thinking that this might be a little bit more overlap between the two.

I can also rationalize allowing it, since you are effectively pouring positive energy into a more vital area.

kreynolds

First Post
whatisitgoodfor said:

Oh, but it has happened, though. Ooops. ;)

Last edited:

Mark

CreativeMountainGames.com
That was my first impression but after re-reading the PH page 125 description of Touch Spells in Combat, I'm of a mind that they meant to treat them as weapons...

"Touching an opponent with a touch spell is considered to be an armed attack..."

"The touch spell provides you with a credible threat that the defender is obliged to take into acount just as if it were a weapon."

"Touch attacks come in two types: melee touch attacks...ranged touch attacks..."

"You can score critical hits with either type of attack..."

I edited my previous post because of this. :(

Remove ads