• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Cover & Opportunity Attacks

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
As a 3.5 aside, this is not true. Cover from an ally did not, in fact, prevent AoO. So, at least you're not missing that. :)

Well, actually...

... in 3.5, cover from an ally did prevent AoOs. (For example, you could close with an ogre through his threatened space by first moving in behind an ally adjacent to the ogre, and the soft cover would prevent the AoO.)

However, moving through an ally's space didn't provide cover, and thus didn't prevent AoOs.

-Hyp.

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
Huh. It turns out that we had just unwittingly imported the 'no OA if you have cover' rule from 3e.

Still, it works OK for us and gives more interesting tactical options, so we'll probably just continue on with it :)

Cheers

corwyn77

Adventurer
Just a quick clarification so people don't get confused: Total Concealment does, as you have to see your target to get an opportunity attack.

Can I get an exact reference for this as my DM is allowing OAs against my drow while in my cloud of darkness.

Under Invisible, it says you don't provoke from those who can't see you. It doesn't actually say that under total concealment. My DM interprets this as a special feature of invisibility. Doesn't make much sense to me but there you go.

So a specific clarification, errata, etc would be useful.

tiornys

Explorer
Can I get an exact reference for this as my DM is allowing OAs against my drow while in my cloud of darkness.

Under Invisible, it says you don't provoke from those who can't see you. It doesn't actually say that under total concealment. My DM interprets this as a special feature of invisibility. Doesn't make much sense to me but there you go.

So a specific clarification, errata, etc would be useful.
I'm AFB so I can't direct you to an exact page. I can however tell you what to look for. In one of the entries describing Opportunity Attacks (I think the one titled exactly that), there's a section describing requirements for making the attack. One of the requirements is that you can see the target.

Ergo, if you can't see the target, you can't make an OA on them, even if you otherwise know exactly where they are.

t~

edit: PHB p. 290, Opportunity Attack, Able to Attack

Last edited:

Ninja-to

First Post
Well thank god I don't play 3.5 anymore then, as it seems I didn't even have that right...

At least I now know that in 4th edition no cover is granted by allies in terms of AoO. It's a bit of a big deal since the question comes up every combat they get into melee.

Hm now about those corners... I'm assuming cover around a corner gives the standard -2 in a melee situation, but doens't help vs AoO.

In fact, in 4th edition, cover and AoO have nothing to do with each other unless it's total cover or total concealment. Right?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads