• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Coward in our midst

Hannibal King

First Post
focallength said:
Part of the problem is him as he always does this and never gets punished for it, the DM's never have him get attacked watching in the back, he gets full XP when we defeat the BBEG even though he does nothing, the DM just says hes acting in character.

OK dude, stop, right, there. Is the DM and this player related, lovers, married, what? This is utter, utter crap! Any DM who does this should be forced to eat his DM's guide.

My suggestions are:
1) "It is your destiny" - Here's your chance to become an Anti Paladin ;-) Take him out! Next character a coward? Take HIM out as well! Rinse, repeat.

2) "Hey DM I'm standing next to the coward" - Temporarily retire the Paladin, take a Wizard with a lot of Dimension Door spells. Monsters attack, you D-Door next to the coward and see if the DM attacks your character and his. If the DM doesn't - whoa dude, that is serious #$%% up.

3) "I christen thee Coward" - Constantly refer to his character as "The Coward". Every opportunity - dungeons, taverns, cities. His name shall forever be "The Coward" until he redeems himself. Sooner or later this will grate on his nerves, there will be a punch up but it's all in good fun ;-)

4) "Time for holiday" - Move to Sydney, Australia and run a game for my group as we are seriously looking for a new DM.

Good luck dude
HK

scourger

Explorer
gizmo33 said:
...start a "skulker's guild" with him...

I like it! Do it!

I did somethign similar. We have a player who *frequently* plays a halfling thief. He almost always plays a *support* character, eschewing melee and very, very carefully measuring his options and contributions so that he survives and succeeds. It got so bad in 1 campaign in which 3/5 of the characters died (it should have been a TPK, but the DM nerfed it), that I afterward called and still call it The Last Halfling Standing Campaign. My replacement PC did nothing until the halfling acted. If he fought, I fought. If he fired into melee, I fired into melee. If he ran away, I ran away. I think it got the point across.

focallength

First Post
scourger said:
... If he fought, I fought. If he fired into melee, I fired into melee. If he ran away, I ran away. I think it got the point across.

I may do this as my next character if the group dosent act, just to prove a point. I E-mailed the DM (who is a good guy and runs a good game I think that it has gone on for such a long time that were used to it and just ignore it) and asked him if there were social penalties for being a coward, kind of gave him some hints. He basically whole heartedly agreed with me having suffered the same thing in another campaign but basically said it was the players duty to deal with it. Which I agree with to a point being that were mostly LG we wouldnt tolerate a coward I and I told everyone what I thought well see what happens next week. Basically I asked the DM if bards ever omit cowards from stories, do his gambling buddies laugh at him and take advantage of him, do the people we are helping see his actions and not reward him, do the harpers hear of him and decide they dont need a self absorbed coward in there mist. Stuff like that. Also I reminded everyone that theres no way a LG character would abide by his actions and they should be ashamed, for I certainly am. And he claims to be good but is a coward, a oath breaker, a person who collaberates with the criminals of the city and basically out for his own neck a good person? i fell hes neutral at best and that I should treat him as a paladin accordingly. Basically, "You will no longer act in this manner or you will leave, if you wish to change I will help you, even if you falter as long as you are cincere and try, if not may fortune favor you elsewere." Im going to make waves and see what comes of it. But please any other ideas will be entertained...

CZHorse

First Post
Even if you are a Palidin, you can still confront him, and you should even if nobody else backs you up. A Palidin has the the backing of his faith. Drive him out of the party by confronting him, and if everybody take his side then retire the palidin, as one would refuse to adventure with this kind of group anyway.

Then when you come back to the group, as another character with less morals, gut him.;)

Old One

First Post
Hire a band of minstrels to follow him around and sing about his cowardice...

Of course, it didn't work so well for Sir Robin :p!

~ OO

Mac Callum

First Post
Your new character

I've only got one Rule!

rasczak.jpg

Everybody fights, and nobody quits!

If you don't do your job, I'll kill you myself.

Sigurd

First Post
Ask the DM if not calling him a coward, when your character has just risked his life is in character for you???

Ask the DM if it is appropriate that the party give treasure to anyone else who didn't participate?

Ask your DM what are the limits of 'in character' for the rest of the party who have just watched this character run away????

Sigurd

He's got to expect the party to turn on him.

Aust Diamondew

First Post
You need to get those in your group who agree with you to go and talk to him.

Reminds me of the one guy I use to role play with. No matter the system or the game he'd always play a ninja. Shadowrun- Ninja Shadowrunner, TSR Marvel- Ninja Superhero, D&D- Ninja (this was back in 3.0 so he had to make do with monk), Gurps- Ninja, Seventh Sea- Convinced the GM to let him play a ninja (dont ask me how it worked, game didn't last long, I never liked seventh sea anyway).
Always more or less the same character.

Rabelais

First Post
And just because you're a Paladin doesn't mean that you can't go ahead and Berate him publicly, or hire the Bards, or walk up and whack him about the head and shoulders. Lawful Good, doesn't mean Lawful Nice, or Lawful Wuss.

CZHorse

First Post
Rabelais said:
And just because you're a Paladin doesn't mean that you can't go ahead and Berate him publicly, or hire the Bards, or walk up and whack him about the head and shoulders. Lawful Good, doesn't mean Lawful Nice, or Lawful Wuss.

Yeah, I love those who play alignments like Lawful Wuss or Chaotic Stupid. They are so much fun to toy with. Stand up and play the character you picked, and give the coward a faithful berating or open a holy can-of -whoop-ass on him.

CZHorse

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads