D&D 5E Crawford's 9 D&D "Hacks"

Jake Hamilton

First Post
I use passive initiative with a size rule. Small creatures get +2 medium 0 and large -2 and every size after minus 1 progressively. Works out better and gives smaller creatures a chance.

Lanliss

Explorer
Me too. [MENTION=6801813]Valmarius[/MENTION] and [MENTION=6801219]Lanliss[/MENTION] can attest to that.

It just wouldn't save me any time at the table to do it.

Nah, I don't see any problems with your rolls. Very consistent and across the board, if you were rolling a d4 for initiative.

fjw70

Adventurer
I used the passive monster initiative this week and I liked it. The PCs still roll but I do session rolls for the PCs (I.e same initiative score for the entire session) so I will continue to have them roll.

dropbear8mybaby

Banned
Banned
I used the passive monster initiative this week and I liked it.

The biggest problem I see with that is that I find most of the monsters have low or zero Dexterity so those initiatives are going to be pretty much stuck on a 9-12 range most of the time. That gets predictable and stale very quickly.

fjw70

Adventurer
The biggest problem I see with that is that I find most of the monsters have low or zero Dexterity so those initiatives are going to be pretty much stuck on a 9-12 range most of the time. That gets predictable and stale very quickly.

It will probably be like using fixed damage vs rolling. I will use it when I am in the mood for it and mostly for minion type monsters.

Remove ads