D&D 5E Created Ooze boss would like some feed back on it thoughts critiscims welcomed

Nightbeat84

Explorer
Little backstory on why i created this boss monster i am currently running Out of the Abyss campaign and my party is now facing the Ooze onslaught about occur in Blingdenstone. The big bad is the pudding king and i found hes stat block underwhelming and anti climatic. There is a big build up to reach this point so i wanted a more memorable fight. There are no boss monster in the ooze category. Also he suppose to be like an emissary of the demon lord Juiblex. So i created this guy my party is currently lv 8.
Edit. So here is version 2.0 of Garos. Also this model was created by the very talented CometLord i got it as a patreon reward and he also has a store online to purchase the files so shout out to him. Comet Lord Miniatures
It is very important to proof read more then once lol

Nightbeat84

Explorer
Nice Form! @Quickleaf

The corrosive equipment damage will lead to a Total Party Restock.

My only quibble is the mechanics of the Surge, Legendary Action are a little unclear.

What about an effect like the Tidal Wave spell, only it costs 2 Legendary Actions, and a failed save knocks one Prone and swept with along Garos. You can alter the spell save to be a Strength saving throws to be more consistent with the original text.

Good Monster for a 8th level party, solo Legendary Mob encounter.
I think this will make more sense i copied the engulf mechanic from gelatinous cube but did not reward it properly thank you for the catch i think it will make more sense now

Nightbeat84

Explorer
First off, I love your model. That thing is utterly terrifying. Bravo!

@ad_hoc is totally right. This is too strong for an 8th-level party. Frankly, you took a somewhat comical CR 4 monster and you turned it into something rivaling the power of Jubilex itself! I strongly recommend you reduce this monster's power, both defensively and offensively, such that its CR is about 12 or 13. That should give you the tense dramatic fight feel you're aiming for without obliterating the PCs.

I'm going to run the numbers to evaluate its approximate Challenge Rating using DMG page 274, assuming you're removing the slashing damage immunity, and that your target CR is in the 11-16 range (a serious threat to your 8th level party, but not impossible)...

Defensive CR 24
Effective HP = ((312 + (3 * 20) regen )) * 1.25 resistances + (3 * 30) legendary resistances = 555
Effective AC = 14 + 2 saves + 2 magic resist = 18

555 effective HP puts it at defensive CR 24, and 18 effective AC is about right.

Note: I did not account for it using the Blur spell nor the damage-reducing aspect of Corrosive Form, which could conceivably boost its AC by maybe another 2-4, though accounting for that in the maths is more complicated than I had energy for. However, the damage resistance multiplier for a CR 24 should be negligible (i.e. x1), making its effective HP more like 462, which would make its defensive CR more like 22. With monster maths, you can really exhaust yourself trying to figure this out, so I just called these two competing factors a wash. If your 8th-level party is extremely well-equipped with magic weapons, then you could assume your current version of Garos is more like a total CR 20 creature. Still way overpowered.

Offensive CR 20
DPR = 5 lair action (green slime, single-round damage) + (2 * 36) two slams + 10 mind thrust + (2 * 14) two legendary actions: slams + (2 * 4) corrosive form = 123
Effective Attack = +10 +1 corrosive aspect of its slam reducing AC = +11

123 damage puts it at offensive CR 20, and its attack bonus is about right for that CR.

Total CR 22
Taking the average = (24 + 20) / 2 = 22

By way of comparison, Jubilex is CR 23.
I re-edited the stat block and made a few changes id like to hear your opinion of it

Nightbeat84

Explorer

Attachments

• 20200227_175533.jpg
    20200227_175533.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 121
  • 20200227_175604.jpg
    20200227_175604.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 71
  • 20200227_175614.jpg
    20200227_175614.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 103

Nightbeat84

Explorer
I didn't even factor the minions into the CR 23 calculation.

Garos is going to destroy the party. He's going to take out 2 PCs/round. His average damage is 200/rd.

How are they dealing an average of 133dmg/rd? Keep in mind by the time they fight him they're going to have faced a few fights at least. And then even if a party of level 8 characters unloads onto a monster they're still going to miss sometimes (and Garos has magic resistance and legendary resistance too).

I also suggest against altering the difficulty of things as you go too. If you're going to do that you don't even really need stats. You're basically writing a story. Have a monster appear as a threat and then just as the monster is about to kill the PCs have it die. It seems like a good way to make things exciting but I think it cheapens the game. The PCs should win or lose on their own merits.
Thank you for you input i appreciate it i edit the stat block take look and tell me what you think?

Nightbeat84

Explorer
This thing is seriously tough for 8th level PCs. It has high HP + regeneration + a ton of resistances and immunities. Spell casters are basically screwed and martials don't fair much better. On the flip side, it is dishing out at least 180 HP of damage per round. Not sure how many PCs you've got, but if this thing is played straight up I think it is going to mow through your group. Maybe they can out run it?

Personally, unless you are looking for a TPK or you want them to run away, this ooze is to much for 8th lvl group. Maybe a range heavy group with magic weapons could take it on.
i have
Every group is different, but if your throwing this guy at your group you will need some beefed-up Demon Lords at the end of the adventure. Luckily, I go you covered: 5e Epic Monster Updates, Demon Lords & Princes

PS you can get a printer friendly version here: 5e Epic Monster Updates
I had a look at what you wrote this is gold informartion that you have come up with i also re-edit the stat block i think it will be more in line with the CR rating and think with hes new abilities it will be a more memorable fight i also removed spell casting im starting to think its far better to give BBEG special abilities vs just slapping on spell casting on them

Quickleaf

Legend
I re-edited the stat block and made a few changes id like to hear your opinion of it
Uff. Well, it's an investment of time and energy to do real intensive monster reviews, particularly when major editing is involved. Looks roughly in the right ball park; I think it will be suitably terrifying for your group! Painted minis look great btw; if I was a player and saw those, I'd freak out.

Nightbeat84

Explorer
Uff. Well, it's an investment of time and energy to do real intensive monster reviews, particularly when major editing is involved. Looks roughly in the right ball park; I think it will be suitably terrifying for your group! Painted minis look great btw; if I was a player and saw those, I'd freak out.
Thank you i appreciated you taking the time to look at it and the feed back you have given me. Its ok to not give an in depth review what you wrote is good enough including your rewrite further up in the comments that was in depth enough for me i gleamed quite a bit from what you wrote. Also learning to make an original monster like this takes quite a bit of time i normaly dont do that i usaaly just find something that i can reskin but Ooze are kinda limited with what i have in written form. I did not really find anything i liked online. again very much appreciet your time thank you

dave2008

Legend
I had a chance to skim through the demon lords fantastic work with the stat blocks but had a question why is demogorgon,orcus,graz'zt,Fraz much higher in CR then jubilex,Baphomet,zuggtmoy and yeenoghu are they not supposed to be all equal in strength? I thought that's what the Lore was saying and why none of them could make a move on each other for fear the others would attack ? Or is this just personal preference?
I'm old school. Traditionally (1e, 2e, 3e,) there were Demon Lords and Demon Princes. The Princes (Demogorgon, Orcus, Graz-zt, Fraz, etc.) were stronger than the Lords (Juiblex, Baphomet, Yeenoghu, Zuggtmoy, etc.). On top of that Demogorgon was the "Prince of Demons" and the most powerful of all demons. I just recreated the traditional hierarchy.

FYI, the lore of not making a move is still true. The lords and princes command vast legions of demon minions. They use the resources to attack another lord, even a weaker one, without opening themselves to attack from another lord or prince.

Remove ads