D&D 3E/3.5 Creating an 3.5e version of the 5e Warlock class

When the Warlock class first debuted in D&D, it was in the Complete Arcane supplement for D&D 3.5, in November 2004.

It wasn't OGC, and quite honestly was rather awkward and kludging, trying to create an arcane caster class that couldn't cast spells and instead just got nothing but spell-like abilities. This included having to create a rewrite of rules involving eligibility for spellcasting prestige classes to accommodate it. I never saw it used in actual games. I was actually astonished when it was turned into a new core class in 4e (and 5e).

However, with 5e a version of the Warlock class was made OGC, and the class seemed much improved from the 3.5 version. While I still generally prefer 3.5, I do like class design in 5e, the 5e Paladin and Monk are definitely much improved over the 3.x versions.

Since the Warlock class was released as OGC in 5e via the SRD, has anyone tried to reverse-engineer the 5e Warlock into a 3.5e compatible version? Would anyone be interested into such a thing?

(By the same token, would similar reverse-engineered versions of 5e versions of the Paladin or Monk into 3.5e compatible versions be something anyone would be interested in or have already tried to make?)

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
(Not really answering your question, sorry!)

I had missed looking at the 5e OGC before. So Dragonborn are now able to be put in OGC (like PF), right?

Last edited:

(Not really answering your question, sorry!)

I had missed looking at the 5e OGC before. So Dragonborn are now able to be put in OGC (like PF), right?
Yeah, that was kinda the idea, that a class (Warlock) and a race (Dragonborn) that in 3.x were closed, are now OGC, and an translation based on the 5e OGC should be possible.

MoonSong

Rules-lawyering drama queen but not a munchkin
When the Warlock class first debuted in D&D, it was in the Complete Arcane supplement for D&D 3.5, in November 2004.

It wasn't OGC, and quite honestly was rather awkward and kludging, trying to create an arcane caster class that couldn't cast spells and instead just got nothing but spell-like abilities. This included having to create a rewrite of rules involving eligibility for spellcasting prestige classes to accommodate it. I never saw it used in actual games. I was actually astonished when it was turned into a new core class in 4e (and 5e).

However, with 5e a version of the Warlock class was made OGC, and the class seemed much improved from the 3.5 version. While I still generally prefer 3.5, I do like class design in 5e, the 5e Paladin and Monk are definitely much improved over the 3.x versions.

Since the Warlock class was released as OGC in 5e via the SRD, has anyone tried to reverse-engineer the 5e Warlock into a 3.5e compatible version? Would anyone be interested into such a thing?

(By the same token, would similar reverse-engineered versions of 5e versions of the Paladin or Monk into 3.5e compatible versions be something anyone would be interested in or have already tried to make?)
I haven't, but I plan to. Eventually.

Samloyal23

Adventurer
Turning the eldritch blast into a cantrip really killed the warlock for me in 5E. It was way more versatile as a class feature. Restore that part of the class and the 5E version would be even better than the original.

Remove ads