• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Creating an Island from Scratch...?

RUMBLETiGER

Adventurer
I'm trying to develop a storyline in which a very high level caster goes to the middle of the ocean and creates an island, than populates it with vegitation and animal life.

I invision a high level Druid, but I'm not limited to that idea.

Objective #1- What spells would be able to produce a land mass within the ocean? Is there any high level spell that literally can create a volcano in the ocean floor to raise stone earth? Once the land is risen, Move Earth can tweak it, but I need to generate the basic land mass. Earthquake might be helpful if it lasted more than one round, or could create a fissure deep enough to hit magma and start the reaction.

EDIT: Ohhh... just found Raise Volcano here. Does anyone know of anything else like this?

Objective #2- Does anyone know spells/methods that would permenently create vegitation? I'd imagine he could have brought a handful of seeds with him and Plant Growth them into something, but I need multiple options.

Objective #3- Does anyone know spells/methods that would permenently create animal life? Or perhaps a way to Planar Bind on top of Summon Nature's Ally long enough for the summoned animals to breed and leave little ones behind.

Possibly Gate or Teleport in pre-existing life from someplace else, but I'm hoping to generate everything from scratch.

Any thoughts? I'm not currently considering Epic spells (Becasue they're complicated), but I'll look to those if nothing Level 9 or below can accomplish what I'm trying to do.

Last edited:

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Go to the bottom of the sea and then open a portal to the elemental plane of Fire...or better yet, the plane of Magma.

RUMBLETiGER

Adventurer
How about a giant sleeping turtle? Or the floating shell of a dead one, anchored to the depths with seaplants.

Go to the bottom of the sea and then open a portal to the elemental plane of Fire...or better yet, the plane of Magma.

Oh... both good suggestions. Perhaps a chain of islands, developed with different methods. One island that floated around out of the shell of a massive dead sea turtle would rock.

Dozen

First Post
If this island of yours isn't required to be any massive and you'd rather have a lower level caster, he could build his own floaton. I think a determined low-level caster working all day and night to achieve a goal makes a better story than an epic mage altering reality with a snap. All he'd need is a lot of Craft checks and maintenance(unless the caster is a Druid, in which case he can just grow new plants and fix the supports once every week or so with Plant Growth and Lesser Restoration, respectively); the materials can be found everywhere, so there are no costs to pay - You only need a portion of contested/owned land where you can grab them and carry them over to your to-be place. They may include but are not limited to plants(roots help keeping it in one piece; the more plants you have, the better), wood(Use the Wood Shape spell for live supports and meshes! L. Restoration won't affect dead plants!), a kind of soil, maybe air or some other gas trapped underneath to keep it floating if too heavy for it's size(I didn't mean that many plants, dammit), etc. Some people actually did this in real life, a D&D char won't have probs with execution. This kind of island won't support a fortress no matter how big it is, but it's sufficient for houses or hideouts, along with his personal zoo.

Last edited:

Remove ads