• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Creating spell scrolls

Rexwell

First Post
I've been mulling over introducing spell scroll creation to my players. They are only 4th level, so the added resources would let the wizard be more active in encounters and the paladin broaden his actions besides smiting and healing (with spell slots).

What's holding me back is I don't want to imbalance the game. On one hand, the suggestions in the DMG and Xanathar's have 1st level spells as cheap and simple as a healing potion. But I think 4th level paladins only have 3 (and wizards 4) first level spell slots for a reason.

So the DMG mentions requiring a formula or ritual for magic item creation. For spell scrolls; a formula for each individual spell seems too restrictive. But a formula for all spells or all spells by spell level seem a bit permissive.

Thoughts?

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
For scrolls, I wouldn't worry too much about requiring a formula, just require knowledge of any spell they are capable of casting and then requiring the appropriate money and downtime requirements. If they are only 4th level then odds are that they won't have too much cash to throw around in creating scrolls.

Rexwell

First Post
Thanks for the reply.

I guess I’m more worried about imbalancing the game. Though with healing potions being listed as 50 GP (along with first level spell scrolls) and wands of magic missles being uncommon magic items, I suppose for all the “magic items are optional”, it’s not a scarce resource either.

The cost can give you some control depending on how much money you have your PCs have access to, or if they are buying spell scrolls just limit the ones available especially if it a spell they are using to kill off too many encounters. It sounds like you want to do this to give players more options and therefore enjoyment, that is always a good reason to go ahead.

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
As a temp thing, say that scrolls need a spell slot to empower them - so you can carry as many as you have slots. When the Wizard studies his spells each morning, it also empowers the magic in the scrolls.

This does not mean reading the scroll uses up the spell slot, nor that the scroll becomes useless if you cast your own spell with a slot.
See how that goes, and what the PCs think of it in play. If it solves your problem without nerfing encounters, then you can keep with it; if not, change / fiddle with it.

the_redbeard

Explorer
One thing to consider is that Down Time is a choice. Have they earned good will and have no enemies that would plot against them or advance their plot during Downtime? If they don't maybe they have earned a reward. Or they've dealt the bad guy's plans a blow and the bad guy's plot won't go forward for a time. Some DMs might even tell the players ahead of time how much down time they can spend before something happens. Others will roll an event die (the downtime version of a random encounter roll) every week or month. Players can choose to react to the event, or do downtime. Or go back to the dungeon - but some areas they cleared may be restocked if they spend too long on downtime.

I'm meandering because I've had a few. But introduce something that will make downtime have a cost, be limited, or a choice. Roll playing is interesting when the choices have consequences.

Rexwell

First Post
Thank you for all the suggestions, all good for thought.

I do like the idea of down time/ limited crafting time. Instead of a heavy handed block of "I'm making 20 scrolls!", its more narrative related and a reward of sorts.

Oofta

Legend
I think play styles and expectations are going to vary so much from group to group that there is no one generic rule that applies. I've debated allowing scrolls myself (maybe in my next campaign) and here were a few thoughts I had.

First, I want to play with it a bit and see if it makes sense. Scrolls added a lot of utility to casters in past editions and never really seemed to cause a huge issue. People tend to be stingy with GP and wizards in particular spend a lot of money just scribing new spells into their books.

For an in-game reason to limit creation of scrolls I would simply say that different levels of spells require different types of ink and/or material to write on. The higher level the spell, the rarer the ink. That gives me easy ways to limit or pull back how many scrolls the party can have. The combination you need is automatically known

As suggested above, there are also down-time costs.

You could make scroll spells less than absolutely reliable. Have the scribing wizard make an Int(Arcana) check when they finish creating a scroll, DC 15+Spell Level. Scrolls start out 90% reliable and go down from there by 10% per 1 that the DC was missed by.

Example 1: Wizard is scribing a 3rd level spell and needs to make a DC 18 Int(Arcana) check. They succeed and now have a spell scroll with a 90% chance of working.

Example 2: Wizard is scribing a 4th level spell and needs to make a DC 19 Int(Arcana) check. They roll a modified 14, missing the DC by 5. This subtracts 50% from the base 90% = a spell scroll with a 40% chance of working.

Nevvur

Explorer
I've been mulling over introducing spell scroll creation to my players. They are only 4th level, so the added resources would let the wizard be more active in encounters and the paladin broaden his actions besides smiting and healing (with spell slots).

What's holding me back is I don't want to imbalance the game. On one hand, the suggestions in the DMG and Xanathar's have 1st level spells as cheap and simple as a healing potion. But I think 4th level paladins only have 3 (and wizards 4) first level spell slots for a reason.

So the DMG mentions requiring a formula or ritual for magic item creation. For spell scrolls; a formula for each individual spell seems too restrictive. But a formula for all spells or all spells by spell level seem a bit permissive.

Thoughts?

Is this something the players are requesting, or something you want to give them?

Remove ads