• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Creating spell scrolls

Rexwell

First Post
This is more something I want for them. Especially the wizard, who at this level does not have much spell resources st all.

On the same note, I’ve been thinking about items for the rogue to expand his options in combat as well (alchemist fire,acid flasks, smoke and grease bombs, and crafted items that mimic cantrips/low level spells)

I’m introducing the hobby to my kids, and they unfortunately tend to “video game” encounters—mash the x button until everything is dead.

CapnZapp

Legend
You need to work backwards here.

First: how many scrolls do you think is appropriate for a character to scribe?

For example, if we compare to healing potions, then, over, say, ten levels, it seems most published adventures would allow a small "pyramid" of potions:

At least a dozen regular healing potions (probably twice or thrice that, if the character seeks them out and is willing to spend gold and downtime on acquiring more).

Perhaps 6 greater healing potions, 3 superior ones and just 1 supreme. All these found as loot (not purchased).

If we assume this to be a reasonable model for scrolls in general, then maybe 20 - 12 - 6 - 3 - 1 scrolls (of levels one thru five).

High level spell scrolls (6th on up) are never made, only looted.

All that remains is finding a mechanism to enforce this.

Perhaps the one that makes most in-world sense is time. If you can estimate the campaign will last 8 months, say, then you can work out how many days it should take to scribe a spell level. 8x30=240 days divided by the total levels you intend the character to be able to scribe.

Cost is another possible limiter, only less reliable.

The simplest solution is to simply tell the character about your thoughts (such as the 20 - 12 - 6 - 3 - 1 limit above) and trust the player to interpret that for his character. But not all players like such "meta" gaming.

Anyway, hope that gives you a few insights.

Nevvur

Explorer
This is more something I want for them. Especially the wizard, who at this level does not have much spell resources st all.

On the same note, I’ve been thinking about items for the rogue to expand his options in combat as well (alchemist fire,acid flasks, smoke and grease bombs, and crafted items that mimic cantrips/low level spells)

I’m introducing the hobby to my kids, and they unfortunately tend to “video game” encounters—mash the x button until everything is dead.

Might be better just to dole out some spell scrolls from time to time rather than figure out a crafting system. It has been my experience that scrolls go straight into the group loot Bag of Holding, never to emerge again, no matter how generous I am with them. Same with potions and other consumables. I swear, my players are allergic to them or something.

Since you're introducing kids to the hobby, I'd double check to see if a crafting system is something they're interested in. Could be a yawner for 'em.

If you (and they) still want a formal system, the only actual play implementation I can offer up for example is for a game I ran a few years ago. I set the price of scrolls (up to 5th level) at 100GP * Spell Level^2. To craft one would require half that cost in gold and 1 day per Spell Level in time investment. Waaay more generous than official systems, but even when presented with this option, my players preferred spending downtime on more permanent upgrades. Or carousing.

Rexwell

First Post
Might be better just to dole out some spell scrolls from time to time rather than figure out a crafting system. It has been my experience that scrolls go straight into the group loot Bag of Holding, never to emerge again, no matter how generous I am with them. Same with potions and other consumables. I swear, my players are allergic to them or something.

That’s funny, that’s exactly what I find. I have given them potions and scrolls, but the only thing they ever remember are healing potions. Which they need because they charge headlong into everything.

At least the wizard likes to scribe new spells into his spellbook, but this still leads him to not having many resources to use the new spells anyway. Actually, I have given known spell scrolls and I think they forget about those too. Maybe if he actually makes them himself he’ll remember.

Rexwell

First Post
At least a dozen regular healing potions (probably twice or thrice that, if the character seeks them out and is willing to spend gold and downtime on acquiring more).

Perhaps 6 greater healing potions, 3 superior ones and just 1 supreme. All these found as loot (not purchased).

Anyway, hope that gives you a few insights.

Thanks. How did you come to these numbers? Did you count the healing potions in one of the published adventures?

Remove ads