D&D 5E Creative Commons and D&D

Reynard

Legend
I'd say no more than the OGL did. There was no obligation under that to release anything as OGC. Same with this. If publishers want to release content they will. No change in that regard.
Under OGL 1.0a, material derivative of Open Content was automatically open content. The effort was in closing content. That is the point of Open Gaming: creating an ever expanding body of work that other creators can use and build upon. If Kobold put out their next Tome of Beasts under CC, they would have no obligation to open any of the content. if they did so under OGL 1,0a, they would have to specifically Close some content (and it is unclear whether they even can close derivative content like stat blocks).

Ondath

Hero
Does releasing the 5.1 SRD under CC-BY undermine the Open Gaming movement? If there is no "share alike" requirements, doesn't it incentivize publishers to create compatible, derivative works that they DO NOT themselves have any reason to release under CC?
No more than OGL's Product Identity clause undermines the Open Gaming Movement, I'd say. People also released a lot of games under the OGL where they only benefitted from OGC but made no contributions of their own (for instance, Adventures in Middle Earth's Product Identity section includes "new rules, classes, items, virtues, backgrounds, places, characters, artwork, sidebars"!).

People always had the option to use the OGL in a one-sided manner, and CC-BY 4.0 allows the same. Despite that, a lot of people already released TTRPG content under the CC (FATE and a few others come to mind). My only concern with switching to CC is the open works and losing the unique OGL ecosystem, but the license by itself is no more inimical to open gaming than the OGL was.

Reynard

Legend
Could people with the OGL 1.0a just put the new stuff under product identity? Or are there things they can't do that with under 1.0a?
They can, but per the definitions in the license, Product Identity does not include game mechanics. The intent is new game mechanics are automatically open content.

Reynard

Legend
No more than OGL's Product Identity clause undermines the Open Gaming Movement, I'd say. People also released a lot of games under the OGL where they only benefitted from OGC but made no contributions of their own (for instance, Adventures in Middle Earth's Product Identity section includes "new rules, classes, items, virtues, backgrounds, places, characters, artwork, sidebars"!).
Yeah, this sort of thing always bothered me and it is not at all clear this is not a violation of the license itself. The license identifies what Product identity is, and that definition does not include game mechanics.

Ondath

Hero
Yeah, this sort of thing always bothered me and it is not at all clear this is not a violation of the license itself. The license identifies what Product identity is, and that definition does not include game mechanics.
Agreed! But since contracts have to follow the letter of the law and not the spirit of the law, loopholes can and always will be found. It's the nature of the beast, and given that, I think it'd be pretty hard to prove that DCC or Adventures in Middle Earth violate the OGL. And since that's the case, the OGL and the CC are on equal footing in terms of fostering open gaming.

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
They can, but per the definitions in the license, Product Identity does not include game mechanics. The intent is new game mechanics are automatically open content.
It says it explicitly doesn't include open game content. Does that mean the stuff that is copied from and derived from OGC? Or did I miss something else? (Could SW use OGL 1.0a and exclude all the things about Jedi?).

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
It says it explicitly doesn't include open game content. Does that mean the stuff that is copied from and derived from OGC? Or did I miss something else? (Could SW use OGL 1.0a and exclude all the things about Jedi?).
You usually can't copyright mechanics, which is why when WotC proposed in 1.2 putting their mechanics into CC a lot of attorneys were like, "They're giving us what we already had."

Remove ads