D&D 5E criteria for new races to be added to the PHB

Coroc

Hero
they are not in my 3.0 or 3.5 PHB. I really wouldn’t count a supplement. There are literally 100s of races as optiona in the various editions if you count every optional splatbook. Many race more common than the Goliath if you count that way.
Also @doctorbadwolf and @dave2008

So there we go then now we only need some confirmation from a 4e guy if it was in 4e basic or expanded PHB, I really think now it was the 4e battle mat issue which generated them.

See, if you were to play a large mob it would take up 4 squares on the battlefield. For all the classes based on flanking roles this could lead to unwanted situations back then, and if there were 1 square spaces I cannot tell you if there was some way for a 4 square creature to squeeze in.

But people still wanted to play their darksun halfgiant (4e had some official Darksun material) so maybe they came up by replacing it with the goliath? 4e is the edition I am at least aware of, so maybe someone who knows 4e well can clear this up? @dnd4vr eventually?

Mecheon

Sacabambaspis
So there we go then now we only need some confirmation from a 4e guy if it was in 4e basic or expanded PHB, I really think now it was the 4e battle mat issue which generated them.
They came in PHB 2, so alongside gnomes, half-orcs, shifters and deva

But people still wanted to play their darksun halfgiant (4e had some official Darksun material) so maybe they came up by replacing it with the goliath? 4e is the edition I am at least aware of, so maybe someone who knows 4e well can clear this up?
Funny thing about this? Legacy from 3E. Apparently 3E half giants were the first to shrink them to medium which is kind of funny when you think of, well, half-ogres being Large in that edition. And just checking the stats, 3.5e goliaths are stronger than half giants which is, a thing.

Coroc

Hero
They came in PHB 2, so alongside gnomes, half-orcs, shifters and deva

Funny thing about this? Legacy from 3E. Apparently 3E half giants were the first to shrink them to medium which is kind of funny when you think of, well, half-ogres being Large in that edition. And just checking the stats, 3.5e goliaths are stronger than half giants which is, a thing.
Thank you, that clears things up.

dagger

Adventurer
Appearing in 4e should not count...that was the time of darkness.

I would rather see orog or firbolg before any more shy poor mans half giants.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases