• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Critical Effects: Critiques Wanted

Lord Vangarel

First Post
Originally posted by DnDChick
But the critical effect doesnt require a further critical, though.

I had assumed that in order for a critical effect to occur the confirmation roll also had to be a critical (my mistake), still doing it this way I also inflicted the full critical damage with multiplier and only had a critical effect when the confirmation roll was a critical.

CullAfulMoshuN

First Post
Hi DnDChick, I really like your system. We have been trying to use the C&T 2E crit charts in our games, but I think I prefer your system. One thing I liked about the C&T charts though that you may want to consider however, is the severity being affected by weapon size. While I agree with you argument that the size determines damage and hence affects the save DC, it is just as likely to roll a 1 for damage on a great axe as it is on a dagger, and hence each is just as the same odds of severing a limb.

Maybe you could add a modifier to the severity roll based upon weapon size vs opponent size, say +2/-2 per size difference. So the halfling with the dagger is fighting an ogre with a great axe and both subsequently score criticals on each other. The halflings dagger is tiny and the ogre is large, a size difference range of 3 smaller, so he rolls d20 -6 to determine severity. Conversely the ogres huge great axe is 3 sizes larger than the halfling so he rolls d20+6 for severity.

The halfling has a slightly greater chance of causing a critical (19-20) but is likely to only be minor, where as the ogre is likely going to severe a limb it he makes a solid connection with his great axe.

DnDChick

Demon Queen of Templates
Great idea, and easily implemented! I dont have time to do so just this second, but Ill edit your suggestion in as an optional rule DMs can use if they want to.

Thanks! :)

Lord Vangarel

First Post
Originally posted by CullAfulMoshuN
Maybe you could add a modifier to the severity roll based upon weapon size vs opponent size

The variant rules I use already factor this in as the critical effect is calculated off the damage dealt, not a d20 roll, so a halflings dagger will inflict a lower critical than an ogres great axe, unless of course the ogre just happens to be well on the way to dying anyway. :D

DnDChick, I presented the rules to my regular group last night with the following results. They wanted a natural 20 to be important so a critical effect is only possible if one is rolled. We're giving my variant rules on how to determine the critical effect a try. What I would like to say is everyone loved the idea of having them in the game, the consensus was that x2 or x3 damage meant little in visualising the criticals. So a big thank you to you for all the work you're doing, maybe we'll never agree on how to determine critical effects but our group loves your ideas. :D On the down side no one managed to actually roll a natural 20 (very roleplaying intensive little combat in the session) so we'll have to wait another week before seeing those monsters losing bits of themselves everywhere!!!

DnDChick

Demon Queen of Templates
Glad things worked out ok! And yeah...I purposefully weighted the crit tables to the low end to keep them from happening all the time. I felt that was the best way to maintain balance.

And besides, if you use the Instant Kill rules in the DMG (pg. 64), a natural 20 after a crit is a kill anyway. All Ive done is given gradients of damage based on the lesser results of an Instant Kill roll. Even then, its not an Instant Kill like the one on page 64, because the victim still has a chance to save himself! Sure he'll be out of the fight, but he wont be dead!

...At leat not instantly! ;)

techno

Explorer
DnDChick, I really like your system and I am seriously considering adopting it. However, I do have one question/concern: The Hit Location chart only seems to apply to humanoids. What do you do if a creature does not have standard humanoid "body parts?" For example, a Beholder? Any suggestions? It seems like if you only use this system for humanoids (most PCs fall into this category), it puts them at a distinct disadvantage compared to non-humanoid monsters.

Last edited:

DnDChick

Demon Queen of Templates
Ok! Ive written a "quick fix" to the anatomy problem brought up in the previous post. Check the table now.

Basically, for creatures with "standard" anatomy, you can use the original table, but for creatures with "non-standard" anatomy, I have posted a generic body location table that should work well.

Using this updated hit location table, for example, say the characters are fighting a Grick. A hit on "locomotive limb" would be a hit scored on the worm-like tail, a hit on "manipulative limb" would be a hit on one of the tentacles it uses for arms, etc.

See how that works. As always, suggestions are always welcome!

Magnus

First Post
this is a great idea. and remarkably well thought out. however, like my DM would say, this is something, that for the most part, will only affect PCs negatively. occasionally players will get lucky and down a tough opponent in one round, but when the DM typically makes more attack rolls vs the players over the course of an adventure, it's more likely to work in favour of the NPCs than the players. i can see it being very frustrating to players that the 9th lvl fighter that they've spent months building, gets killed by one lucky shot from a goblin archer. like i said, i like the work that u've done, but this can be nothing but bad news for player characters. :(

Remove ads