• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Critical Hits & Fumbles

Gronin

Explorer
While I love the 3/3.5 version of the rules there is one thing that I miss. I miss the old optional critical hit/fumble rules that were all over the place. I was about to sit down and try to hash out some rules for this when I thought, I can't be the only person who feels this way (and probably there is someone who has already worked on this and is willing to share their system or a link to a system they are familiar with.)

I would also be interested in hearing about any systems that anyone knows about in any published works - print or pdf.

Thanks

Azure Trance

First Post
Do you mean the 9 or so pages of critical hits from the Combat Options book? Slasing / Piercing / Bludgeoning vs Monsterous / Humanoid / Etc ...

drunkmoogle

First Post
I used to use Crit/Fumble tables, but it's just too much looking up and slowing down game play. Even rolling that d% is annoying to me. It hurts the "Woo-hoo!" or "D'oh!" factor for the players when you take 20 seconds to look up the result.

This is what I use:

On a crit, roll to confirm. If it lands on a crit threat, the multiplier is increased by one. If that happens, I usually say it hits whatever part of the body I'm thinking of at the time, and that limb/organ/ohmyg-dwhy! is non-functional.

On a crit miss, roll to confirm. If the roll is not enough to break AC, then you provove an Attack of Opportunity (which may be none) and you drop your weapon. On Bows and crossbows (and firearms, for my short lived d20 modern campaign), your ranged weapon malfunctions and you need to succeed at a Craft:Bowmaking or Repair check (d20 modern), DC15, as a full round action to restore its functionality.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads