Critical Role Critical Role’s 7-hour Campaign Finale

It’s not the last of Critical Role (obviously) but it is the end of their second campaign this Thursday. And it’s 7 hours long! Critical Role’s highly successful second campaign -- The Mighty Nein -- premiered over three years ago and has built up over 530 hours of adventures, including over 440 villains conquered and over 100 hours of battles (source: CritRoleStats), and this Thursday...

It’s not the last of Critical Role (obviously) but it is the end of their second campaign this Thursday. And it’s 7 hours long!

866A438C-9CA0-4A2E-9BCF-7CA4EEBCC8EB.png

Critical Role’s highly successful second campaign -- The Mighty Nein -- premiered over three years ago and has built up over 530 hours of adventures, including over 440 villains conquered and over 100 hours of battles (source: CritRoleStats), and this Thursday, June 3, the epic saga of Critical Role’s second campaign is set to embark on its final adventure.

Since the launch of the campaign on January 11, 2018, Critical Role has chronicled the story of Jester Lavorre (Laura Bailey), Yasha Nydoorin (Ashley Johnson), Caleb Widogast (Liam O’Brien), Beauregard "Beau" Lionett (Marisha Ray), Nott the Brave/Veth Brenatto (Sam Riegel), Fjord (Travis Willingham), Mollymauk "Molly" Tealeaf and Caduceus Clay (both played by Taliesin Jaffe) of The Mighty Nein as they explored Wildemount, formed relationships, spat in the face of death and buried allies, realized that not all goblins are as they seem, discovered the power a friendly cupcake (sprinkled with some Dust of Deliciousness) can have in befriending powerful foes, and showcased the resiliency one can have in the face of insurmountable odds time and time again.

Experience the final chapter of The Mighty Nein as Critical Role concludes the legend of this ragtag group of miscreants that millions across the globe have come to know and love. How will their journey end and what’s next from the world of Critical Role? Tune in to find out!

The final episode of Critical Role’s Campaign 2: The Mighty Nein airs this Thursday, June 3 2021 at 7PM PST simultaneously on Twitch (twitch.tv/criticalrole) and YouTube (youtube.com/criticalrole), with the replayable VOD of the show available on Critical Role’s YouTube channel the following Monday.

Critters…. How do you want to do this?

Urriak Uruk

Gaming is fun, and fun is for everyone

Article interviewing Matt Mercer and Marisha Ray. No hints really at the future, but only praise and no critiques of D&D. Highly unlikely to me that they would not do a Campaign 3, or that it would be a different game system.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle

Article interviewing Matt Mercer and Marisha Ray. No hints really at the future, but only praise and no critiques of D&D. Highly unlikely to me that they would not do a Campaign 3, or that it would be a different game system.
I can’t get the article to load without an overlay of other articles in the way. Guess I’ll wait and read it on desktop lol

silentdante

Explorer
i find it weird they are just stopping the campaign now. i know they hit a big boss fight and lore point, but Liam(caleb) storyline is far from over, same with Travis(fjord) storyline. they just released a board game with the name of the evil god/demigod? that is part of Travis(fjord) storyline and to not even get to the end of that story in the campaign is weird to me. there are a ton of threads just left undone. maybe i am oddly biased because they tied pretty much everything up with campaign 1 and now 2 is considerably less tied up.

just makes me wonder why they are calling it now, where we get no closure for Liam(caleb) story which featured so much through-out the whole campaign. i feel like it must be a weird business decision because the cartoon will be coming out soon and they want a break before all that promotion/new campaign to go along with the release of said cartoon. with the novel coming out, and the comics, i feel like they rely to much on that first campaign and maybe this will be a way to move on by starting a new one? i dont know.

i dont get the sense a change of system would be good, hell they are still making simple mistakes of the rules now! in the last episode. Matt tells one of them to roll a D20 and add their wisdom modifier and another number, and somehow one of them roles a 34. it's impossible, and the reason they got the number is because they used their saving throw modifier. it's little things like that, that if they switched systems would probly quadruple in happening and make it not pleasant to watch. i know they make it out to be more entertainment then rules oriented, but if you are making a living by doing something have the respect to learn the rules, geez. that's my own little nitpick though, hell i still watch, and keep up with it all so who am i to judge really.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
i find it weird they are just stopping the campaign now. i know they hit a big boss fight and lore point, but Liam(caleb) storyline is far from over, same with Travis(fjord) storyline. they just released a board game with the name of the evil god/demigod? that is part of Travis(fjord) storyline and to not even get to the end of that story in the campaign is weird to me. there are a ton of threads just left undone. maybe i am oddly biased because they tied pretty much everything up with campaign 1 and now 2 is considerably less tied up.
My guess is that we'll see those threats reappear in future campaigns. I run a sandbox game, too, that develops story lines as it goes. The stuff player characters don't resolve are still out there, doing their own things. I have to imagine the same thing is planned here.

Mort

Legend
Supporter
i dont get the sense a change of system would be good, hell they are still making simple mistakes of the rules now! in the last episode. Matt tells one of them to roll a D20 and add their wisdom modifier and another number, and somehow one of them roles a 34. it's impossible, and the reason they got the number is because they used their saving throw modifier. it's little things like that, that if they switched systems would probly quadruple in happening and make it not pleasant to watch. i know they make it out to be more entertainment then rules oriented, but if you are making a living by doing something have the respect to learn the rules, geez. that's my own little nitpick though, hell i still watch, and keep up with it all so who am i to judge really.

In a "real" game on the fly mistakes happen all the time, Can you imagine if your game was being scrutinized by thousands of people?

That said, CR is more than big enough that they could have a real time "rules advisor" (other than Matt, who is concentrating on other things) to ensure mistakes are at an absolute minimum (heck, they could call it a CR internship, probably not have to pay for the role and still get top notch help).

BUT that might impact on the "authenticity" of the game - and that's the last thing they want.

silentdante

Explorer
My guess is that we'll see those threats reappear in future campaigns. I run a sandbox game, too, that develops story lines as it goes. The stuff player characters don't resolve are still out there, doing their own things. I have to imagine the same thing is planned here.
yeah, you are probly right, that and they did do a number of one-shots for campaign one after where they covered some left over plot points.

silentdante

Explorer
In a "real" game on the fly mistakes happen all the time, Can you imagine if your game was being scrutinized by thousands of people?

That said, CR is more than big enough that they could have a real time "rules advisor" (other than Matt, who is concentrating on other things) to ensure mistakes are at an absolute minimum (heck, they could call it a CR internship, probably not have to pay for the role and still get top notch help).

BUT that might impact on the "authenticity" of the game - and that's the last thing they want.
oh no i get that, like i said it's just a little nitpick, i have watched since they have started so it's not like i am offended, i just find it funny, even things explained multiple times just get missed. they do get overly flustered in situations, i got to hand it to them, they certainly get invested, i wish i had that sort of passion when playing, haha. i care about the games i am in, but i dont think i have ever had that panicy fear when facing a tough foe, haha.

Rikka66

Adventurer

A referee at the table could make for a funny one-shot.

There are members could do with making some flashcards and giving themselves a little study session to deal with their most common mistakes. But there concern isn't and shouldn't be perfection and never getting a rule wrong. But the one are it can cause them problems is when those mistakes cause delays and pauses and throws off the pacing. A player having ot spend an extra five minutes rethinking their turn because they forgot what concentration was is the kind of thing I think they are better off putting a little bit of extra effort avoiding.

Remove ads

Remove ads