Critical Role Critical Role: Amazon Orders 2 Seasons Of The Legend Of Vox Machina

Amazon has ordered two seasons of the Critical Role animated show, The Legend of Vox Machina! This is the show that was Kickstarted for about $10M last year.

lvm.jpg

Originally, 10 episodes were planned from the massive Kickstarter. Amazon has ordered 14 more, to make 24 total, aimed at late 2020.

Amazon owns Twitch, on which Critical Role made its name.

Kickstarter backers will still get the first look at the show, and will be able to access the first season for free.

Here's CR's own announcement:

Hello, bees!

We slyly hinted towards sharing some really big news and today is the big day!

Our friends at Amazon have partnered with us to broadcast Critical Role: The Legend of Vox Machinaexclusively on Amazon Prime Video! And that’s not all… This partnership has allowed us to create TWO ENTIRE SEASONS and an additional TWO episodes per season. That’s a total of 24 episodes of animated Vox Machina goodness that we cannot wait to share with you.

What’s more, Amazon is throwing their support behind the show, allowing us to improve on the quality of the animation, the score, the special effects – you name it. And with 24 episodes to play with, instead of just 10, we’ll not only complete the entire Briarwood storyline in the animated series, but we’ll forge ahead into other classic Vox Machina story arcs as well!

Our lovely Kickstarter backers (hey, that’s YOU!) will still have an opportunity to watch the two-part special that kicks off the series before anyone else AND because you’re a backer, you'll be able to access the first season for free. We’re still working out all of the logistical details and should have an update around how all of this will work in late 2020.

We also announced a few more key players on our creative team, each mega-talented in their craft:
  • Laura Bailey, Taliesin Jaffe, Ashley Johnson, Liam O’Brien, Matthew Mercer, Marisha Ray, Sam Riegel, and Travis Willingham (executive producers): Along with stepping back into their roles as the voices of Vox Machina, our cast will also serve as executive producers of the animated series.
  • Brandon Auman (executive producer): You may know Brandon as the executive producer of Star Wars Resistance and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, as well as his writing on Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes and the upcoming Blade Runner: Black Lotus.
  • Chris Prynoski (executive producer, Titmouse): Chris is pretty much the guy that makes all the Titmouse magic happen and has played a major role in a bunch of cool animated projects, like Big Mouth, Niko and the Sword of Light, Tigtoneand The Venture Brothers.
  • Sung Jin Ahn (supervising director): Sung Jin is an Emmy-Award nominated director and has worked alongside Chris as the director for Niko and the Sword of Light, as well as other incredible projects like Motorcity and TRON: Uprising.
Our crazy little show was born on Twitch and we’re absolutely thrilled at the opportunity to continue to grow and develop deeper roots within the Amazon ecosphere.

We love you all very much and… Is it Thursday yet?

<3

Critical Role

Last edited:

Matchstick

Adventurer
To be fair he asked that question before we had thst info, this thread went up when the news leaked, then the article in question was taken down so he couldn’t have read it, thus their question.

Sunsword's legit, I had seen that. I'm just not sure how the "exclusively" and the "access the first season for free" pieces can work together. If there are countries that don't have Amazon Prime, and this is "exclusive" to Amazon Prime, how will backers there access the first season for free? If you have to pay for Amazon Prime, and this is "exclusive" to Amazon Prime, how will backers access the first season for free?

I have Prime and will be able to watch, I'm just really curious.

No way to know the answers at this point. The answers will be the "logistics" and it's certainly possible that "exclusive" is being misused. We'll find out.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Sunsword's legit, I had seen that. I'm just not sure how the "exclusively" and the "access the first season for free" pieces can work together. If there are countries that don't have Amazon Prime, and this is "exclusive" to Amazon Prime, how will backers there access the first season for free? If you have to pay for Amazon Prime, and this is "exclusive" to Amazon Prime, how will backers access the first season for free?

I have Prime and will be able to watch, I'm just really curious.

No way to know the answers at this point. The answers will be the "logistics" and it's certainly possible that "exclusive" is being misused. We'll find out.

It is exclusive to Amazon and included with Prime, doesn't mean they can't provide coupons through Amazon's system for people to get a free rental of the episodes in the first season. Probably something they negotiated very specifically when making the deal.

MonkeezOnFire

Adventurer
So will be be a "Dungeons and Dragons" show? Or just a fantasy show? I know they play D&D, and D&D Beyond is a sponsor, but is there anything officially D&D about CR (full disclosure: I don't watch it). If not, that's too bad. D&D needs a powerful pop culture presence that isn't just nods and nostalgia.
My guess is that issues with D&D licensing is one of the reasons they are skipping over the first adventure that was streamed.
That adventure heavily features mind flayers and concludes with a fight against a beholder.

Of course many will tell you it's because they don't want to include Orion's character...

Reynard

Legend
I mean, we don't know exactl where it will go for this show, but the game is a 5E D&D campaign.

Right, I was referring to branding. It would seem weird D&D wasn't a thing with this show, but Hasbro has seemed to be completely unwilling to utilize the brand, so...?

Parmandur

Book-Friend
My guess is that issues with D&D licensing is one of the reasons they are skipping over the first adventure that was streamed.
That adventure heavily features mind flayers and concludes with a fight against a beholder.

Of course many will tell you it's because they don't want to include Orion's character...

I think it is Orion's character primarily.

Phazonfish

B-Rank Agent
I think it is Orion's character primarily.
To be fair, the show started a couple years into their campaign, so that is where the archived footage starts. They either have to rebuild a bunch of arcs from memory (parts of which are already being covered in the comics, so kinda redundant) or skip some number of early arcs. Omitting Orion's character seems less drastic when they have to start somewhere in middle anyway. I feel you are probably correct and that his character was a big factor (probably the biggest factor), but I just wanted to play devil's advocate.

If the serie is a success, they could make an agreement with Hasbro for the toys. Other option could be to call a team of players to play Dragonlance, but set "in a parallel universe" where we hadn't to respect the canon.

They could create adaptations for non-English-speaker countries, for example in Germany, Japan and South-Korea. How would be Spanish-speakers players with Maztica? Warning because they could to try a comedy style, talking with some typically Spanish regional accents, and this may be worse than when kenders try to be fun.

Do you think Hasbro would dare to produce a "kid-friendly" Harmon Quest cartoon? Or a crossover with Rick & Morty, maybe as a hidden pilot episode.

harmonquest.png

Sunsword

Adventurer
To be fair he asked that question before we had thst info, this thread went up when the news leaked, then the article in question was taken down so he couldn’t have read it, thus their question.
I meant no disrespect. The "AND" was like that in the main announcement. I find that I overlook stuff when I'm excited about a press release.

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases