• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Critical Role Announces Publishing Company

The first game will be a board/card game called Uk’otoa. This will be followed by role playing game products including Syndicult, “an original modern magic roleplaying game designed by Matthew Mercer in which mob families jealously guard secrets and battle it out for power on the city streets.”...

79447F78-A551-4F43-AB0B-E82916284924.jpeg

The first game will be a board/card game called Uk’otoa. This will be followed by role playing game products including Syndicult, “an original modern magic roleplaying game designed by Matthew Mercer in which mob families jealously guard secrets and battle it out for power on the city streets.”

7D7929A6-93C6-43A7-9933-3703951D8BF7.jpeg

I’ve long wondered whether there might one day be the official Critical Role role playing game, and whether CR's massive influence could make a dent in WotC, the traditional 800lb gorilla.

Rikka66

Adventurer
I am wondering why not Disney produce its own game-live show podcast as CR. They have hire lots of young aspiring actors. Although I suggest to add a virtual tabletop because it gives a better look on the screen.

Disney is all about tightly controlled images. An RP experience isn't conducive to that.

And virtual tabletops aren't all that for spectators, really. Better than a simple hand done map, sure, but you're hypothetical example would have the opportunity to use figures, detailed maps, or fancy terrain items and models. Add the right camera angles and you have something way more visually appealing than virtual tabletops.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
While I agree that controversies have an impact, where I agree with @Zaukrie (although don't want to speak for them), is that I don't think the majority of D&D players care about the controversies, or have a strong opinion either way, or even if they are aware of them at all. Most just...play D&D.
I was responding to "I think people active on message boards and Twitter over estimate the impact of controversy on WotC" -- and the recent Dragonlance lawsuit, at least according to Weis and Hickman, makes it very clear that social media controversies have a very marked impact on WotC to the extent that they change their product plans, change their hiring policies, alter existing books, cancel trilogies of Dragonlance novels, back out of large licensing contracts, and more.

Whether the average player knows about all this isn't germane to my point. The the average game is affected by it, whether they know it or not, as these things are deciding what books end up at the average gamer's table.

MarkB

Legend
Disney is all about tightly controlled images. An RP experience isn't conducive to that.

And virtual tabletops aren't all that for spectators, really. Better than a simple hand done map, sure, but you're hypothetical example would have the opportunity to use figures, detailed maps, or fancy terrain items and models. Add the right camera angles and you have something way more visually appealing than virtual tabletops.
Some of the 3D virtual tabletops are getting pretty visually impressive these days. But given Disney's roots, probably the more likely approach for them would be something like Titansgrave - pre-recorded, edited down, and then with semi-animated visuals to enhance the experience. that would let them keep some of that tight control.

That's time-intensive, though, and you lose the immediacy of a live-streamed show - essentially you'd be producing them a season at a time in advance of airing even a single episode. Disney could support something like that, but would they get a good return on their investment?

Jiggawatts

Adventurer
The Magic part of WotC is always getting roasted for something on magicTCG reddit and twitter. If the vast majority of players at large never see the controversy there (don't know the name of who was fired, haven't heard about the artist with the out there views, don't know about the harrassment on the pro tour etc...) does it matter?
Can confirm. Personally I am the only member of the two RPG groups I am in that really follows forums/news. None of them are aware of the Dragonlance thing, former employee complaints, or any of the goings on at WotC this year. The market share is so much vastly larger than the people who care/follow these things. It is as it always is, twitter/forums/etc are the vocal minority.

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
I would be surprised if Critical Role every takes its flagship series out of D&D or develops a kitchen-sink fantasy RPG to compete directly with WotC. It would be shooting themselves in the foot. Yes there are hardcore critter fans that will buy whatever CR puts out and there are gaming enthusiasts who will buy the games if the games are good, but there is also a large group of fans who are equally or more invested in D&D as they are in CR. Either folks like me who became interested in CR because it was an excellent D&D live play, or folks who came to D&D through CR but now have invested a significant amount of time and money in the system.

Besides these are all Hollywood folk. These games are likely to be no more than vanity projects in comparison to the money they will make from their cartoons and the further business deals that this will open for them in Hollywood. As part of that vision, they would want to avoid antagonizing Hasbro as they could potential enter into lucrative toy deals based on their properties.

Mercurius

Legend
I was responding to "I think people active on message boards and Twitter over estimate the impact of controversy on WotC" -- and the recent Dragonlance lawsuit, at least according to Weis and Hickman, makes it very clear that social media controversies have a very marked impact on WotC to the extent that they change their product plans, change their hiring policies, alter existing books, cancel trilogies of Dragonlance novels, back out of large licensing contracts, and more.

Whether the average player knows about all this isn't germane to my point. The the average game is affected by it, whether they know it or not, as these things are deciding what books end up at the average gamer's table.
OK, fair enough. I would take it a step further: when people complain loud enough, even in small numbers, it potentially has an impact on a lot of people, say, fans of Dragonlance. But the impact it has on WotC is largely up to them. I'm sure they have their reasons for whatever publishing choices they make, but it is a shame that fans of the game suffer for it, perhaps especially fans of one of the classic settings that hasn't seen a lot of love in recent years.

Just curious as im a little older. Is the twitter mob that is demanding change under the WOTC twitter feed? Its not making mainstream/less than mainstream news (changing voice actors in Hollywood such as simpsons is mainstream)

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Just curious as im a little older. Is the twitter mob that is demanding change under the WOTC twitter feed? Its not making mainstream/less than mainstream news (changing voice actors in Hollywood such as simpsons is mainstream)
It's D&D, not the Simpsons. It's less niche than it used to be, but it's never going to be the Simpsons.

zhivik

Explorer
"Legacy-lite". I'm not sure exactly how to interpret that, but I'm guessing it means that they've stripped out most of the original game mechanics in order to make this a self-contained game.
I believe "legacy-lite" is used in the meaning used by board games, not tabletop RPGs. The way I read it is that the game will have some mechanics to change how the campaign plays depending on player choice, but it won't be a permanent change - so no destruction of components, putting stickers on the board/other game elements, etc. I may be interpreting this wrong, of course, but out of the four games announced, only one is explicitly labeled as a tabletop RPG.

Dire Bare

Legend
I would be surprised if Critical Role every takes its flagship series out of D&D or develops a kitchen-sink fantasy RPG to compete directly with WotC. It would be shooting themselves in the foot. Yes there are hardcore critter fans that will buy whatever CR puts out and there are gaming enthusiasts who will buy the games if the games are good, but there is also a large group of fans who are equally or more invested in D&D as they are in CR. Either folks like me who became interested in CR because it was an excellent D&D live play, or folks who came to D&D through CR but now have invested a significant amount of time and money in the system.

Besides these are all Hollywood folk. These games are likely to be no more than vanity projects in comparison to the money they will make from their cartoons and the further business deals that this will open for them in Hollywood. As part of that vision, they would want to avoid antagonizing Hasbro as they could potential enter into lucrative toy deals based on their properties.
Heh. Critical Role, and now Darrington Press, is not a "vanity" project for the CR crew. It is a creative endeavor alongside their acting careers. Most actors do not make a lot of money, even relatively successful ones like the CR folks. None of these people are "Big Hollywood", they aren't struggling as much as they did when they first got started in Tinseltown, but they still need to keep the hustle going. The success of Critical Role has been a much needed boost in their careers, and may have possibly eclipsed their voice acting work in revenue and importance.

Remove ads

Remove ads