Critical Role Critical Role Campaign 3 Discussion (SPOILERS)

Burnside

Space Jam Confirmed
Supporter
The same can be said of all fandoms.

For whatever reason, a disproportionate segment of Critical Role's fandom REALLY can't handle hearing Critical Role criticized. There are fans like this for everything, but Critical Role seems to have more of them.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
That’s not how CR formed.

I didn't say how they were formed. I noted what they were chosen for.

The guests certainly are picked from amongst the cast’s friends who’re generally positive people. But the original cast were just friends who got together to play a game as a birthday present to one of them.

Right. A group selected... for being friends with. Sounds like exactly what I was saying.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
For whatever reason, a disproportionate segment of Critical Role's fandom REALLY can't handle hearing Critical Role criticized.

A disproportionately loud segment, maybe. Unless you've done surveying, you don't know how many are actually among their number.

overgeeked

B/X Known World
I didn't say how they were formed. I noted what they were chosen for.

Right. A group selected... for being friends with. Sounds like exactly what I was saying.
You seem to be implying it’s something other than an organic process of nine people who got together to play. They all happen to be charismatic voice actors. I don’t see where “chosen” or “selected” come into it. Who “chose” them? Who “selected” them? Maybe actually explain what you mean.

Mort

Legend
Supporter
You seem to be implying it’s something other than an organic process of nine people who got together to play. They all happen to be charismatic voice actors. I don’t see where “chosen” or “selected” come into it. Who “chose” them? Who “selected” them? Maybe actually explain what you mean.

I believe Felicia Day came to one of their games and after watching them play told them they'd be a great fit for a live stream on Geek and Sundry.

They gave it a shot and exploded from there.

I believe Felicia Day came to one of their games and after watching them play told them they'd be a great fit for a live stream on Geek and Sundry.

I feel slightly sad for Mary Elizabeth McGlynn, who was invited but was busy that night. Fate is a curious thing. But at least she got some great guest spots.

Azuresun

Adventurer
Does anybody know exactly what's going on with CR Season 3 that seems to have a number of people complaining on Twitter about it? Somebody just posted a 21 post Twitter thing about it.

You seem to be saying that Twitterstorms need a reason to happen beyond "someone got angry on a platform that couldn't be better at stirring up rabid mobs if it had been explictly designed to do that (and maybe it was), things snowballed".

Last edited:

Marc Radle

Legend

That’s correct.

Fun fact - at that time they were playing a Pathfinder campaign.

That’s correct.

Fun fact - at that time they were playing a Pathfinder campaign.
IIRC the initial one session used 4E (which is why the setting has a modified version of the Dawn War origin story and pantheon), Mercer switched to Pathfinder because he thought it would be easier for the new players than 4E, and then to 5E because he thought the combat would be faster for a streamed show.

Remove ads