Critical Role Critical Role Campaign 3 Discussion (SPOILERS)

Burnside

Space Jam Confirmed
Supporter
My unsolicited Critical Role Campaign 3 episode 1 thoughts, having watched the first half while not paying very close attention to it.

I was fine with it by the end of the first half. However, if I was a brand new viewer I 100% would not have made it through the opening 10 minute intro/shilling section.

The first 30-40 minutes of play was really front-loaded with the standard Mercer factions, orders, and institutions that it'll take me a while to wrap my head around and which I may never care about.

Laura is doing the young southern gothic voice she used for her Pillars of Eternity 2 character. It's great.

Laura is playing a human aberrant mind (I think) sorcerer. Marisha is a warlock/sorcerer. Warlock patron is The Undead from Van Richten's guide and I think she's a dhampir as well. Not sure what her sorcerous origin is but likely shadow.

After one half of one episode, I like Marisha's character better than Keyleth or Beau.

Taleisin's character is a non-binary earth genasi barbarian. Very cool looking visually.

FCG = Ted Lasso. At first I thought he was the little robot voiced by Slim Pickens in The Black Hole, but it's clearly Ted Lasso.

I like FCG and Laura's character, Imogen, a lot.

Ashley, Liam, and Robbie are playing their Exandria Unlimited characters. Travis joins late in part one as Bertram Bell, his campaign 1 back-up character. This does not feel like a long-term character for him (unlike everyone else, he does not get a character sheet). It appears there may be something to the rumors that this is a West Marches campaign or that sometimes people other than Matt will be playing NPCs.

Sam inadvertently revealed he did not watch a single minute of Exandria Unlimited.

Taleisin and Sam are playing unpublished subclasses for barbarian and cleric, respectively. Maybe they'll be available with the March CR adventure book.

Bold choice for Ashley to play a druid, the most technically complex class in the game. Despite playing the character in all 8 episodes of Exandria Unlimited, she did not know how her cantrips worked here.

Not crazy about the new set so far. It has a weird fishbowl effect, and whenever Mercer leans in to move minis there are suddenly three of him as he appears in every camera shot at weird angles.

The latest odd Mercer pronunciation issue is that instead of gondola he said gon-DOE-la conservatively a million times in the first hour.

Their ability scores are higher than what you'd get with point buy or standard array, but so far they each have one really low score. Marisha has a 5 strength and Taleisin has a 6 charisma.

I always learn a lot watching this show. My biggest take-away is that the first session of a campaign is hard to DM. But I think it’s better to do two things they didn’t do here:

• Start with an action sequence. Not hungover people in a bar. You’re inviting 30-40 minutes of low-energy meandering.
  • Start simple. You don’t need to introduce every faction and location right away. No player or viewer is holding all of these guilds, libraries, theaters, and towers in their heads. Just intro stuff as you need it. And in session one, just intro the stuff you need for session 1.

overgeeked

B/X Known World
I jumped on the CR train mid C2. So this is my first live campaign start. I'm not sure I like any of the characters yet. Like at all. I might be rooting for the monsters in all the early fights to get a near- or complete TPK so we can start fresh.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
I jumped on the CR train mid C2. So this is my first live campaign start. I'm not sure I like any of the characters yet. Like at all. I might be rooting for the monsters in all the early fights to get a near- or complete TPK so we can start fresh.
Really? I already love most of them! Liam’s character doesn’t really stand out to me, and I’m not especially drawn to the new guy’s character - though that may in part be because he’s new. I like Laura’s character’s design but I haven’t seen enough from her yet to have a strong opinion on. I love the rest, especially Taleisin’s and Sam’s characters, who have a delightful dynamic going on.

I like Bertram a lot but I’m not convinced he’s a permanent character. Something fishy is going on with him, between being a higher level than the rest of the party (though a lower level than he was in campaign 1), and the fact that, despite his age being played for laughs, he’s actually much younger than he should be based on the time gap between campaign 1 and campaign 3.

Bolares

Hero
I was kind of jarred at first but I'm liking old man gilderoy lockhart, creepy marisha gotta be fun, Sam as a nice person for a change :p and the first non religious cleric of the show, a punk person might bejust the right excuse for taliesin to be marvelously rude to everyone...

Mort

Legend
Supporter

Personally, I found campaign 1 by far the most enjoyable, I checked out halfway through campaign 2 and I couldn't get into Exandria Unlimited at all (I REALY hated the DM's style for the campaign, like A LOT).

Campaign 1, for me, seemed the most "D&D like." They've adopted a much more performance art style (playing to the audience etc.) and it's just not clicking with me nearly as much.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases