Critical Role Issues Statement

Retreater

Legend
41cRtr861bL._AC_SY780_.jpg

I honestly don't know what else people expected from CR. They literally have a sponsorship agreement with DndBeyond, which is not just a branch of WotC, but it is THE branch of WotC which has been making all the statements about the OGL. I'm not much of an expert on sponsorship contracts (though if you want give me money to sponsor me, DM me!) but 100% they'd contain language preventing the sponsoree from loudly and publicly criticising the sponsor. The entire point of sponsorship is to ensure quite the opposite, in fact. And of course that's not to mention the various other agreements they have re Wildemount, Netherdeep, and who knows what else.

(Actually now I'm wondering a bit if this is why DnDBeyond has been the vehicle for WotCs communications on the subject - because it hamstrings CRs ability to criticise)

Last edited:

overgeeked

B/X Known World
That’s disappointing, but makes sense. They’re likely bound by contract to not say anything negative about Hasbro, D&D, or D&D Beyond. Beyond is a long-time sponsor of the show. They likely had to work out some deal with Thanos Hasbro to use bits of their IP in the cartoon. Still…disappointing.

pemerton

Legend
Could Critical Role have a lawsuit against WotC for their reckless and unhinged mishandling of the brand? One that damages any contractual agrement between the two?
That seems very unlikely to me. I don't know what you think the cause of action is, nor what loss you think Critical Role would be trying to prove.

It seems more likely as a defense if CR chooses to breach their contract with WotC.
I don't see what the defence would be either.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases