D&D General Critical Role: Overrated, Underrated, or Goldilocks?

S'mon

Legend
I agree with most of what you say.

I also see less then optimal choices, bad puns, tangents, pop culture references, and innuendo.

Soo if I say "Critical Role is just like my home game", those are the things I am speaking off.

I haven't watched a ton of CR, but it doesn't seem all that different from my games overall. My players include a professional voice actor who obviously does a lot of in-character acting, and a professional WoTC-published author who's big into characterisation; they're exceptional at what they do, but they're not a million miles from many of the other players. And as a University lecturer I can hold the room, prevent excessive digressions, keep things focused, etc. And I have an easy answer to any question. :D
I have had players tell me of other groups that aren't like that, but I've certainly played in groups like mine.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
This is where we keep getting off track, I think. Books, movies and video games also all make choices in their narrative based on an audience. And yet no one bats an eye when you adapt things for your home game for that. Why is adapting from a live-play game any different?
Because what you adapt from books and movies and video games is fictional content - story beats, world building elements, thematic concepts. What you adapt from Critical Role is gameplay technique. And that’s great! By all means, adapt gameplay technique if you like, but keep in mind that the techniques that work for a game that is also performance art might not work for a game that is just a game, at least not without tweaking.
Agreed! And the same goes for adapting from books, movies or video games.
Of course. It’s weird to me that the advice suddenly becomes controversial when applied to a streaming game. Tell people “what worked for Tolkien doesn’t necessarily work at the game table” and no one balks. Tell them “what worked for Mercer doesn’t necessarily work at the game table” and you’re met with people accusing you of calling Critical Role fake D&D.

Charlaquin

I don't think it would change much for me. Then again, I'm not in their shoes and I don't know what they think. Unless you have some source of information I'm not aware of, you don't know what they think either, you can only guess.
I can make reasonable inferences. I also know what it’s like to be a performer, and I know that having an audience that aren’t active participants makes a difference to the performance.

S'mon

Legend
I do think you can learn a lot from seeing how others play. I know as GM I learn a ton from playing and experiencing other GMs. I'd think watching Mercer's GMing ought to be useful for other GMs, though it's important to understand you are developing your own style, not trying to be a carbon copy.

One thing, I've definitely not experienced any problem with players who came into the hobby via CR. They don't seem to have any feelings of entitlement, they haven't got angry when their cool well-developed PCs meet horrible fates :) - and they don't compare me unfavourably to Mercer AFAIK! :)

Oofta

Legend
I can make reasonable inferences. I also know what it’s like to be a performer, and I know that having an audience that aren’t active participants makes a difference to the performance.
I used to be a consultant. One time I had a series of meetings that included discussions with a CEO of a Fortune 500 company. After these meetings someone was asking if I knew who I was in the room with me and if I wasn't intimidated or nervous. I wasn't, for me it was just another client no different from some of the line workers I also interviewed. Now, put me in a group of people like a party where I don't have a job or role and I'm a quivering mess hiding in a corner because I'm an introvert.

So I don't assume other people react to situations like I do. I have no clue what their inner thought process is. I don't pretend to know.

Oofta

Legend
I do think you can learn a lot from seeing how others play. I know as GM I learn a ton from playing and experiencing other GMs. I'd think watching Mercer's GMing ought to be useful for other GMs, though it's important to understand you are developing your own style, not trying to be a carbon copy.

One thing, I've definitely not experienced any problem with players who came into the hobby via CR. They don't seem to have any feelings of entitlement, they haven't got angry when their cool well-developed PCs meet horrible fates :) - and they don't compare me unfavourably to Mercer AFAIK! :)

The important thing to me about CR is that they show a group of people that while nobody's perfect play well together most of the time. They share the spotlight, keep interactions light and PC-to-PC interactions fun for both sides. That, and that it's okay to have fun and laugh, even when you royally f*** up.

OB1

Jedi Master
Let me try a different approach, first quoting from the Survivor thread that started this whole discussion.

Current standings as of this post

Dave Arneson, "Blackmoor" 27
Jasmine Bhullar, "Shikar" 25
Celeste Conowitch, "Venture Maidens" 15
Monte Cook, "Praemal" 20
Matt Colville, "The Chain of Acheron" 22
Katie Mae, "Generation Fantasy" 13
Matt Mercer, "Critical Role" 22
Brennan Lee Mulligan, "Dimension20" 23
Chris Perkins, "Dice Camera Action" 23
Satine Phoenix, "Maze Arcana" 23

And a relevant comment from @CleverNickName
You know what? All things considered, this is a solid list of excellent Dungeon Masters. We've got a really good mix of diverse play styles, backgrounds, and contributions to the hobby: from the founders and authors responsible for the creation of the original game, to the performers and personalities that inspire a whole new and diverse generation of gamers. Our hobby isn't just surviving, it's thriving like never before, and it's because of giants like these. Let's raise a glass to all of them!
Simple yes/no question. You have an aspiring DM or Player. Do you encourage them to view the work of the DMs above (when available) as a way to see the game in action before playing or to get inspiration for their own campaigns?

S'mon

Legend
Let me try a different approach, first quoting from the Survivor thread that started this whole discussion.

Monte Cook, "Praemal" 20

Simple yes/no question. You have an aspiring DM or Player. Do you encourage them to view the work of the DMs above (when available) as a way to see the game in action before playing or to get inspiration for their own campaigns?

No. But I wouldn't discourage them, either.

Charlaquin

Monte Cook, "Praemal" 20

The short answer is yes. The long answer is that I would tell them the best way to learn D&D is to play it and offer to run a short introductory game for them, but if they are hesitant and want to see someone else play it first, I recommend they check out some of these APs to get a feel for what gameplay can look like.

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
Well it's not really a simple yes/no question for me, but I think you expected that. ;) My two coppers:

For a new player, I'd say no. If someone is brand-new to the hobby and wanted to start playing in my gaming group, I think they might get the wrong idea about what to expect (and what is expected of them). I'd want them to just show up and see how things go, and decide for themselves how they are going to fit in.

But if someone at my table wanted to take a turn at being a DM, and asked me for advice? I would say yes. I'd say something like "Well you already know how I do things, but it's not the only way to play the game. If you want to see what over games can look like, you should check out some of the shows on Dimension 20" (or wherever)."

Remove ads