D&D General Critical Role: Overrated, Underrated, or Goldilocks?

OB1

Jedi Master
Also, no one in this thread is saying that it isn't. Saying CR is not your game is not the same as saying it is not D&D... It's just not the same as our D&D
@Snarf Zagyg said exactly that in their previous thread, I'm assuming their position hasn't changed.

One of the best things to happen to the growth of D&D is the rise of the streaming games; but this is, conversely, one of the worst things to happen to DMs. Yes, there are actual games by actual DMs streamed out there- but the truly popular ones? Those aren't D&D games, those are entertainment. You will learn as much about being a good DM for your home game from watching Critical Role as you would learn to be a considerate lover from watching adult film clips off the internet; it's just not in the same ballpark.
*bold for emphasis.

Of course a live-stream game isn't your D&D, neither is my game or Snarf's game or anyone else's game. Your game is your game. That doesn't mean you can't learn from how others play. Even from uber talented professionals.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
(and frankly, I cannot understand fans who spend hours listening to a D&D podcast rather than playing D&D, or even those with the patience to listen to D&D's slow-moving combat)
This is where the “adult film” analogy from Snarf’s other thread rings especially true to me. Why watch adult films when you could be participating in the act yourself? Well, sometimes you can’t find other willing participants.

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
@Snarf Zagyg said exactly that in their previous thread, I'm assuming their position hasn't changed.

Or, you know, I might have just written an ENTIRE WALL OF TEXT EXPLAINING MY POSITION FULLY.

You might be familiar with it, since ... you know, you're commenting in the thread. There are many things in life I dislike: Bards, Elves, and Elven Bards being at the top of the list.

But I really, really, really don't take kindly to this sort of thing. Thanks!

OB1

Jedi Master
@Snarf Zagyg my apologies, sincerely. On the first read of your initial post in this thread, I misinterpreted it as a further justification of your original comment, rather than an explanation of what you actually meant. That's on me.

I'm still not sure I fully understand your position on the positives vs negatives of popular live-stream D&D for the hobby, and will commit to trying to better understand your POV if you would like to continue the discussion.

BRayne

Adventurer
This is where the “adult film” analogy from Snarf’s other thread rings especially true to me. Why watch adult films when you could be participating in the act yourself? Well, sometimes you can’t find other willing participants.

Though I think the "adult film" analogy is why this argument and thread exists in the first place. Had Snarf started with the NFL analogy (ie "higher level" but still same sport) I doubt people (at least the ones who did take issue, a different crowd might have instead) would have taken as much issue as opposed to the adult film version which carries an implication of "this is all being faked" that people found untrue

robus

Lowcountry Low Roller
Supporter
Another excellent post! As a professional performer myself, I agree wholeheartedly. To claim that Critical Role is fundamentally the same as one’s home game is to do a disservice to the incredible talent and work that goes into the show.
But that‘s the thing, fundamentally it is the same, it’s stuff beyond the fundamentals that sets it apart.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
Though I think the "adult film" analogy is why this argument and thread exists in the first place. Had Snarf started with the NFL analogy (ie "higher level" but still same sport) I doubt people (at least the ones who did take issue, a different crowd might have instead) would have taken as much issue as opposed to the adult film version which carries an implication of "this is all being faked" that people found untrue
You… you do know the actors in adult films are actually doing the act, right?

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
Or, you know, I might have just written an ENTIRE WALL OF TEXT EXPLAINING MY POSITION FULLY.

You might be familiar with it, since ... you know, you're commenting in the thread. There are many things in life I dislike: Bards, Elves, and Elven Bards being at the top of the list.

But I really, really, really don't take kindly to this sort of thing. Thanks!
Snarf, you're more of an elven bard than all of us combined.

Remove ads