D&D General Critical Role: Overrated, Underrated, or Goldilocks?

I didn’t say primarily.

I am reminded of the quote attributed to George Will: "Baseball, it is said, is only a game. True. And the Grand Canyon is only a hole in Arizona. Not all holes, or games, are created equal."

Is CR just a game of D&D? Sure. Just a game that has a corporation, a non-profit org, and publishing company founded around it. And a $11M kickstarter.

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
I am reminded of the quote attributed to George Will: "Baseball, it is said, is only a game. True. And the Grand Canyon is only a hole in Arizona. Not all holes, or games, are created equal."

Is CR just a game of D&D? Sure. Just a game that has a corporation, a non-profit org, and publishing company founded around it. And a $11M kickstarter.
I totally agree. I don't understand why some folks insist otherwise.

Is Critical Role a game of D&D? Yes, of course it is. There are dice and rules, a DM and characters, hit points and armor class.

Is Critical Role just a game of D&D? No, of course not. It's also a live-streamed television show, a multimillion-dollar business, a comic book series, a cartoon, a non-profit, a published campaign setting, etc.

Last edited:

Xetheral

Three-Headed Sirrush
I totally agree. I don't understand why some folks insist otherwise.

Is Critical Role a game of D&D? Yes, of course it is. There are dice and rules, a DM and characters, hit points and armor class.

Is Critical Role just a game of D&D? No, of course not. It's also a live-streamed television show, a multimillion-dollar business, a cartoon, a campaign setting, etc.
I think the problem being encountered is that the word "performance" has an unusually wide range of meanings and connotations.

Some posters appear to be interpreting the statement "Critical Role is a performance" as implying that Critical Role is not a game of D&D, and is instead a performance of a game of D&D. This would be similar to how the phrase "a performance of a murder investigation" implies that the performance is not actually a murder investigation. (Although even that would be tone-dependent, and could instead imply that an actual murder investigation was masterful.)

However, I don't think anyone in this thread is actually arguing that Critical Role is not a game of D&D, they're simply saying that it is also a performance. In other words, I don't think anyone who is arguing that Critical Role is a performance is intending to convey any connotation that Critical Role is not real.

Scribe

Legend
If the CR crew turns off the stream, sends home the extras (production crew) and still plays the game. Same play styles, behavior.

Is it still Critical Role?

Oofta

Legend
If the CR crew turns off the stream, sends home the extras (production crew) and still plays the game. Same play styles, behavior.

Is it still Critical Role?

That's a deep philosophical question with no answer. Much like: if a tree falls on a bard mime in the forest does anyone care? :unsure:

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
I think the problem being encountered is that the word "performance" has an unusually wide range of meanings and connotations.

Some posters appear to be interpreting the statement "Critical Role is a performance" as implying that Critical Role is not a game of D&D, and is instead a performance of a game of D&D. This would be similar to how the phrase "a performance of a murder investigation" implies that the performance is not actually a murder investigation. (Although even that would be tone-dependent, and could instead imply that an actual murder investigation was masterful.)

However, I don't think anyone in this thread is actually arguing that Critical Role is not a game of D&D, they're simply saying that it is also a performance. In other words, I don't think anyone who is arguing that Critical Role is a performance is intending to convey any connotation that Critical Role is not real.
Right, it’s not a performance of a game of D&D, it’s a game of D&D as performance. I’m running out of analogies here, but you could have a performance of a murder investigation, which might look like an episode of a CSI show, or you could have a murder investigation as performance if, like, the detective was live streaming their investigation or something. Critical Role is like the latter (though obviously much less grim).

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases