Critical Role Critical Role show kickstarter update: Backers have to get Amazon prime to get the show

teitan

Legend
Since the kickstarter NEVER promised free access to the (full) show, they're not doing anything wrong - merely inconvenient.

The kickstarter basically promised knick-knacks for the privilege of funding the show - that's all.

The show got picked up by a streaming platform - and most of those have a cost to subscribe. Certainly any platform that would have picked this up (Netflix or HBOMax for ex.) would also expect a subscription to watch.
Ding ding, it's the Amazon aspect I think that has some feathers ruffled but the same crowd probably uses Twitch to watch CR... an Amazon company. My question is... what if it was Netflix?

Last edited:

vilainn6

Explorer
As I non backer, I find it funny I get to watch the show at the same cost as a backer.

Still, I think Critical Role had the best intentions when in update 23 they said backers will get to watch the season for free and they were looking at the logistic of how to do it. Amazon probably told them no way they were giving the show for free and now Critical Role have to rely on loophole like Amazon free trial. They even recommand doing fake accounts for those who already use the free trail in the past to keep their promise.

As I non backer, I find it funny I get to watch the show at the same cost as a backer.

Still, I think Critical Role had the best intentions when in update 23 they said backers will get to watch the season for free and they were looking at the logistic of how to do it. Amazon probably told them no way they were giving the show for free and now Critical Role have to rely on loophole like Amazon free trial. They even recommand doing fake accounts for those who already use the free trail in the past to keep their promise.
Yeah, I would 100% put the blame on Amazon here, but it's also kind of understandable because given how wildly successful the Kickstarter was a huge number of people would have been able to watch the show for free, possibly cutting into any financial incentive to keep the show going beyond the two seasons already ordered.

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
Yeah, I would 100% put the blame on Amazon here, but it's also kind of understandable because given how wildly successful the Kickstarter was a huge number of people would have been able to watch the show for free, possibly cutting into any financial incentive to keep the show going beyond the two seasons already ordered.

I'm not sure there is "blame" here, but ... I mean, Critical Role owns this (as in, they own the property). CR chose how to distribute it. CR chose Amazon. They willingly entered into the distribution arrangement.

I don't see how Amazon is to blame?

I backed the Kickstarter, mainly because I wanted to support them making a thing.

And they did..and then some. Mission accomplished.

That said. Update 23 was a botched communication where they promised more than they had to. Nobody is right to be mad about it in the same way it doesn't make sense to be mad about failing to get other things you didn't pay for that weren't advertised to you when the money left your wallet. But, it is confusion they could have avoided.

Last edited:

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
I just an email with a confirmation/access code for the early screening of the show.

So even though I am a Prime member, as a KS backer it looks like I could watch it anyway (at least one to three episodes?) which is all I was promised as a backer. The perk is that I get to watch it early.
Exactly. For the early viewing even, they gave backers a code and as far as I can tell, I won't need to login with Amazon. So backers get to watch the first two episodes for free during the early viewing event. After general release on Amazon anyone, backers or anyone else, can watch it for free with a trial account.

I'll let y'all know tomorrow if I can to login with an Amazon account along with the access code, but if the access code is all that is needed, folks have even less justification to throw tantrums over this.

Screenings will be held tomorrow, January 25th, at 9:30am PT and reoccur every 3 hours until the final live screening at 6:30am PT. For the live screenings, please plan to join 30-minutes prior to catch some special content from your favorite people. Live screenings will be followed by a 24-hour VOD starting January 26th at 12pm PT and end on January 27th at 12pm PT.

Please see live event screening times below:

January 25th
9:30am PT
12:30pm PT
3:30pm PT
6:30pm PT
9:30pm PT
January 26th
12:30am PT
3:30am PT
6:30am PT

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
Okay, just got done watching the watching most of the first two shows. Evening work call made me join late. I'll rewatch on the next session or the early release VOD.

Just popping in to state that I did not have to log in with an Amazon account. I just had to enter the code that was e-mailed.

So, the first two episodes were made available to backers as an early release and nobody had to sign up for Amazon. To see the entire series, yeah, you'll need Amazon Prime.

In my opinion the they delivered exactly what they said they would to backers.

They said something at the end about a more general Twitch streaming party when the first two episodes hit Amazon. They will also continue having Twitch watch parties as subsequent episodes are released. I didn't pay much attention as I'm not really interested that, but those that are should be able to find the details on their Twitter stream.

I quite enjoyed it. Felt like D&D to me. :)

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases