D&D General Critical Role Video game in the works.

Dausuul

Legend
I mean, WotC is seriously ramping up to be a video game developer. Given their connections to the Critical Role crew, and the Critical Role crews industry contacts...maybe they are already working with WotC.

Though there are a lot of game genres they could go for that would not need much D&D material to be playable with their own IP.
Yeah, WotC would be insane not to cut a deal with them on this. Critical Role is a huge booster for 5E and Wizards is licensing video games all over the place anyway. If CR were to come out with a video game that didn't have the Dungeons and Dragons brand plastered all over it, it would be a huge missed opportunity for Wizards.

twincast

Explorer
Excited to see what type of game they go towards with this. RPG would make the most sense, but then people would likely expect something 5e-related. WotC seems eager to roll with CR, I wonder if that would include letting them adapt their system for a video game without much fuss?
I'm sure WotC would love to give it some official D&D branding. Either way, I'd be immensely surprised if it doesn't end up a 5e CRPG. Only other options I could see having a realistic chance are a visual novel or a gamebook-esque text RPG, but that's probably too low-budget for them (and audience expectations) at this point.

Steampunkette

Rules Tinkerer and Freelance Writer
Supporter
I'm sure WotC would love to give it some official D&D branding. Either way, I'd be immensely surprised if it doesn't end up a 5e CRPG. Only other options I could see having a realistic chance are a visual novel or a gamebook-esque text RPG, but that's probably too low-budget for them (and audience expectations) at this point.
Could be a 3/4 view RPG revival game, sure...

Could also be a Demon Soul or Dark Alliance style Action RPG. Or an Iron and Blood style Fighting Game. Or a Golden Axe style Sidescrolling Beat 'em Up.

Could also be a Final Fantasy style JRPG heavily westernized with 5e mechanics. Maybe Final Fantasy Tactics?

Elder Scrolls Style Sandbox RPG?

Bioware RPG ala Dragon Age, Mass Effect, Kotor... That'd be freaking amazing. And they've -all- got connections with that company, to boot.

jgsugden

Legend
CR tends to be pretty careful to maintain the quality of their IP. They're protective. If a video game is made, I think it will be a game they would want to play, and most of them enjoy gaming. Further, a few of them have prior job histories in various aspects of video games - including Matt.

However, games are always hit and miss. The best of intentions can still fall short of goal. We'll just have to wait and see. My hope is that it has a great story and fun gameplay. There are a thousand directions they could go - but I bet it will tie into the storyline for campaign 3, but will not come out in the 3 years that they play campaign 3.

twincast

Explorer
Could be a 3/4 view RPG revival game, sure...

Could also be a Demon Soul or Dark Alliance style Action RPG. Or an Iron and Blood style Fighting Game. Or a Golden Axe style Sidescrolling Beat 'em Up.

Could also be a Final Fantasy style JRPG heavily westernized with 5e mechanics. Maybe Final Fantasy Tactics?

Elder Scrolls Style Sandbox RPG?

Bioware RPG ala Dragon Age, Mass Effect, Kotor... That'd be freaking amazing. And they've -all- got connections with that company, to boot.
Those action variants strike me as not really keeping their audience in mind, as does the notion of using another system.

Steampunkette

Rules Tinkerer and Freelance Writer
Supporter
Those action variants strike me as not really keeping their audience in mind, as does the notion of using another system.
The Critical Role audience?

I'm fairly sure they're far more interested in the characters and story than the system involved. I doubt any of them expect the Vox Machina anime to have pee-breaks and dice rolling or discussions of whether characters gain Inspiration.

OakenHart

Adventurer
A tactics-style game would rock, especially with them having such a large roster of characters (PC/NPCs/Guests + whatever news ones they would want to make). Might be too niche though, since the only game with a somewhat similar style that seems to sell especially well is the Fire Emblem series.

Would personally love it though, always thought it was a missed opportunity during the 4e era to not have a DnD video game of that style with how powers worked.

Tsuga C

Adventurer
I don't want to get too off topic but could you explain what you mean by moral inversion of political entities? Especially inversion to what?

This reply is also for OakenHart.

The human empire is the corrupt and dangerous one while the one run by the Drow--a race traditionally as cruel and murderous as one could want in an opposing force for a party of good-aligned PCs--is the reasonable and enlightened one. I played Basic and then AD&D back in the day and still have my Fiend Folio in which the Drow were formally introduced. If I'm firmly wedded to tradition and this makes me a fuddy-duddy, I'm A-OK with it.

Remove ads