D&D General Critical Role Video game in the works.

Parmandur

Book-Friend

This reply is also for OakenHart.

The human empire is the corrupt and dangerous one while the one run by the Drow--a race traditionally as cruel and murderous as one could want in an opposing force for a party of good-aligned PCs--is the reasonable and enlightened one. I played Basic and then AD&D back in the day and still have my Fiend Folio in which the Drow were formally introduced. If I'm firmly wedded to tradition and this makes me a fuddy-duddy, I'm A-OK with it.
That's not true, actually. The Dwendallian Empire is Lawful Neutral, on the institutional level, not Evil, with a lot of Good people involved. The Kryn Dynasty is also depicted as Neutral on balance, with a lot of Good and Evil characters and institutions. Complex cultural conflict isn't an "inversion" of anything.

Parmandur

Book-Friend

The human empire is the corrupt and dangerous one while the one run by the Drow--a race traditionally as cruel and murderous as one could want in an opposing force for a party of good-aligned PCs--is the reasonable and enlightened one. I played Basic and then AD&D back in the day and still have my Fiend Folio in which the Drow were formally introduced. If I'm firmly wedded to tradition and this makes me a fuddy-duddy, I'm A-OK with it.
For example, both King Bertrand Dwendal & Empress Leylas Kryn are Lawful Neutral. Neither side is Good or Evil.

darjr

I crit!
That's not true, actually. The Dwendallian Empire is Lawful Neutral, on the institutional level, not Evil, with a lot of Good people involved. The Kryn Dynasty is also depicted as Neutral on balance, with a lot of Good and Evil characters and institutions. Complex cultural conflict isn't an "inversion" of anything.
I kinda want to argue that that is a whole kind of inversion of a different sort.

I mean, a real time strategy game based on the forgotten realms would be quite easy to create. You could even use the old engine (and most assets) of Warcraft 3!

Human -> Lord Alliance
Orc -> Many-Arrows Kingdom
Undead -> Thay or Netherese remnants
Wood elves -> Myth Drannor remnants
Blood Elves -> Menzo

That be a superb game.
The issue with an RTS is that they were literally last popular in any real way well over a decade ago and their peak popularity was closer to 20 years ago. MOBAs pretty much entirely "drank their milkshake" as it were (in the There Will Be Blood sense). It'd be like trying to launch a Quake-style shooter now. I mean, people do try, but they all underperform woefully. Also your post illustrates how you'd essentially be trying to beat WC3 and attendant nostalgia, and yeah good luck with that.

Hopefully CR are making an actual RPG and hopefully they're going to work with WotC to make it D&D because honestly that's the best case scenario here.

The more traditional Lolthite drow still exist in the setting, though they haven't had that much exposure. Even then, the "good" drow of the Kryn Dynasty are kind of pushy about their unusual religion, and a number of Lolthite drow hide among them who hate the influx of non-drow into their society.

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
The issue with an RTS is that they were literally last popular in any real way well over a decade ago and their peak popularity was closer to 20 years ago
LIES! LIES!
RTS is still peak videogame, leader of all intertainement industries and studios wait in line for their chance to make a movie based on their franchise!

grumble slowly goes back to play Warcraft 1 unmoded grumble

OakenHart

Adventurer
I see, thanks for the response. I guess I didn't really see it as an inversion since the concept of "traditionally evil monsters/races being a different alignment" in D&D, even entire societies, was already officially done about a decade+ before/two editions ago in Eberron. I enjoy CR, but nothing about the setting itself comes off as particularly unique, even the any alignment thing. I think we're just paying more attention to it than we used to.

Remove ads