D&D 5E Criticizing the new edition of D&D (because I like it a lot)

wedgeski

Adventurer
Identify can be cast a as a ritual by a wizard - so it takes 11 minutes, and doesn't use a spell slot, or need to be prepared for the day.
You're right of course -- I hadn't thought of that. In some ways though, I'm happy with that method. It's the right person doing it, a spell has been cast to achieve it, and it encourages Ritual use. Resource-wise, it makes no difference, but thematically, the right buttons are being pushed.

Tormyr

Adventurer
You're right of course -- I hadn't thought of that. In some ways though, I'm happy with that method. It's the right person doing it, a spell has been cast to achieve it, and it encourages Ritual use. Resource-wise, it makes no difference, but thematically, the right buttons are being pushed.
Except now they need a 100gp pearl to do it. Thankfully, the wizard in our Wednesday night game had already picked up a pearl of power that fit the bill.

I could be wrong about 5e's mechanics, but I'm pretty sure there are two things messing with your math here:
1) you can only re-roll 1 die. so if you roll 1 and 1 on 2d6 you only get to re-roll one of those dice and...

While that's a viable interpretation, I don't think it's that clear.

"When you roll a 1 or 2 on a damage die for an attack you make with a melee weapon that you are wielding with two hands, you can reroll the die etc. etc."

Not "once per attack." Not "If one of the damage dice is 1 or 2 when you roll damage." If X, then Y. If you roll 1 or 2 on a damage die, then you can reroll.

If you roll a 1 and a 2, each die meets that qualification.

Again, I don't know what the rules as intended are, but I don't think the actual phrasing specifies only one.

Agamon

Adventurer
Feats are as optional as, say, the spell Feather Fall. Neither is in the Basic rules, both can be disallowed by your DM (same as any other rule in the game), both can be chosen or not chosen by a player using the PH. They're optional in a way that you can build your PC with them or without them, your option. I highly doubt feats will be tucked away in a secret appendix at the back of the book with a special lock that the DM only has the key for.

Particle_Man

Explorer
Every time someone carouses about casters at high level in this game, please go read the sheer amount of spells that require concentration, and then realize that you can ever only have a single one of them up at a time.

I will be very curious to see whether there will be feats, magic items, etc., that will allow concentration on more than one spell at a time. And I also wonder if there will be staffs or other magic items that will allow a greater number of very high level spells to be cast per day.

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter
I will be very curious to see whether there will be feats, magic items, etc., that will allow concentration on more than one spell at a time. And I also wonder if there will be staffs or other magic items that will allow a greater number of very high level spells to be cast per day.

My guess...?

No and Yes.

Cybit

First Post

Wizards has said they won't ever allow multiple concentration spells at once from their publications. As for magic items, that has been told to me as very rare or legendary items (artifacts basically). So not something you can ever expect to get.

Remove ads