Critique new feat: Sharpshooter

Lizard Lips

First Post
One of my players wanted to create a Prestige Class: Sharpshooter. I thought that was too generic and could be done with a combination of multiclassing and the correct feats. To giv it a little punch I creted this new feat. What do you think? Unbalanced?

New Feat: Sharpshooter
Prerequisites: Far Shot
Benefit: For every rank you have in Spot, you may add 5 feet to the upper limit of Point Blank Shot or ranged Sneak Attacks.

Last edited:

IceBear

Explorer
Ouch!!! 5ft for every rank in Spot???? I would never allow someone to be able to increase this past 60ft.

I think there is a new feat in MotW for this. Could someone comment?

IceBear

MasterOfHeaven

First Post
Having a feat rely on a skill for it's effectiveness is a bad idea, IMO. I'd just have the feat give a flat bonus to how many feet you can use Point Blank Shot/Sneak Attacks at.

Rackhir

Explorer
You do realize that spot is a class skill for Order of the Bow initiate. By the time they hit 10th as an OBI they could easily have 20+ ranks in Spot, giving the character a 130'+ range for PB Shot and ranged sneak attack bonuses (5d6 at 10th lv OBI).

Sure sounds like a wonderful skill if you want everything in your campaign turned into a pincusion, but I can't picture any rational DM permitting a feat like this in a campaign.

shilsen

Adventurer
I haven't got MotW yet, but I agree with IceBear that this feat is far too overpowered. A 3rd lvl character with maxed Spot (6 ranks) would be making sneak attacks and benefiting from Point Blank Shot up to 60 ft! And it gets progressively worse (100 ft at 11th level, 145 ft at 20th lvl!).

Make it a fixed distance (60 ft - still very powerful), or use an existing PrC like Arcane Archer (DMG), Order of the Bow Initiate (S&F) or the Deepwood Sniper (MotW).

gamecat

Explorer
Rackhir said:
...I can't picture any rational DM permitting a feat like this in a campaign.

I'm not rational. I'm munchkin.

Maybe increase the range increment to 5' per 2 or even 5 ranks of spot, if munchkin isn't for you.

IceBear

Explorer
I would either allow it to let you make Point Blank Attacks or Sneak Attacks to 60ft (so that the lightly armored fighter can at least reach the archer and then attack him the round after being sneak attacked) or to allow it to ignore the first two range increments.

I wouldn't allow it to continue to improve as the Spot skill improved. To allow this is to allow many, many, many PC deaths - you would let the evil NPCs use this too right? Then, you could have multiple sneak attacks against the PCs per round with no way for them to retaliate.

IceBear

bleedthefreak

First Post
Lizard Lips said:
One of my players wanted to create a Prestige Class: Sharpshooter. I thought that was too generic and could be done with a combination of multiclassing and the correct feats. To giv it a little punch I creted this new feat. What do you think? Unbalanced?

New Feat: Sharpshooter
Prerequisites: Far Shot
Benefit: For every rank you have in Spot, you may add 5 feet to the upper limit of Point Blank Shot or ranged Sneak Attacks.

I would make PBS a requirement, and just have the benefit read: Sharpshooter increases the range your point blank shots and ranged sneak attacks inflict extra damage in by 15ft, making it 45ft.
Normal: Normally the range is 30ft.

Artoomis

First Post
There is a sharpshooter type prestige class in MotW. May I suggest you review that one before making any decisions.

Last edited:

Remove ads