Critique new feat: Sharpshooter

2IceBear: I am not sure if it is this easy to gain sneak attacks with ranged attacks...

Hitting 10th level in a Prestige Class means at least 13, more probably 15 to 20th level characters - I would expect great power than, So that is a bad comparison, at least if nobody does some equal mathematics for other classes at that level...

Yes another Possiblity:
Sharp Shooting:
Prerequisite: Point Blank Shot, Far Shot, Precise Shot, Spot Skill
Benefit:
When you use a move equivalent action, you can increase your Point Blank Shot Range and your abilty to deliver Sneak Attacks by 5 foot for your next, single attack roll. You can take multiple move equvialent action and the benefits stack, but no more than your ranks in spot.
You may not move more than 5 feet while using this feat, or lose all benefits.
Further Balancing Possiblities: You lose your Dex Modifer to Armor Class when using this feat - you gain "bypass" this penalty if you give up all benefits from sharp shooting when you fall under attack.
---

Mustrum Ridcully

IceBear

Explorer
Just need to surprise them - if they are flatfooted, then they are sneak attacks. If the sneak attackers are more than 60ft away, then they could sneak attack and then run away the next turn before anyone could counter attack.

Anyway, I don't like the idea of being hit with several sneak attacks (imagine 5 5th level rogues waiting in ambush and all shooting at 90ft at the party wizard and then running away to hide and snipe again) if I couldn't retaliate quickly.

IceBear

I believe they could do the same at 30 feet. Okay, hiding might be a bit more difficult, but it would still be possible.
(Boots of String and Springing, or Boots of Speed... The first can still be purchased by 5th level Rogues. Alternatively they might use potions haste or expeditious retreat. A 5th level rogue could also be accomponied by a 5th level wizard who could cast invisibilty on him...)

But anyway: Snipers are ... nasty.

Last edited:

IceBear

Explorer
Yes, snipers are dangerous, and I know they could do this at 30ft, but you have to agree that it is more dangerous for the rogues at 30ft than at 90ft, yes? (easier to detect before the attack, easier to spot after the attack, easier to reach after the attack, etc)

That's all I meant by I wouldn't allow this feat. There has to be some reasonable source of danger to using this feat to keep it balanced. If I could snipe at 90ft or at 30ft, I'd always go with the 90ft.

Anway, there is a prestige class in MotW that handles this. Maybe this has a better mechanic.

IceBear

Remove ads