• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Critique of Psion's review of MOZ 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Midnight Rider

First Post
This is not posted in the conversation about reviews being good or bad. This responds to a large number of inaccuracies found in Psion's review. I would have posted this as a comment to the review, but I could nto find such a button to comment with. So I post it here, believing it balances Psion's lack of attnetion to detail in his review of MOZ1. Posting it in the other topic would drown the point in a separate argument.

Psion writes:

“Prisoners of the Maze starts out by declaring that the PCs are members of a conspiracy to kill the King (King Ovar). Having failed, they get tossed in the a maze constructed by the King's wacko wizard, Zayene.

I can hear my players now. "We do WHAT!?" …… Unfortunately, this kneecaps any efforts to integrate this adventure into an ongoing campaign where getting the players with free will to go along with such a scheme might actually be a challenge. “

My reply:

As an experienced judge you have a million options for altering this and putting it into your campaign. If you can’t come up with an alternate, then you should stick to the pregenerated characters. Your difficulty with this is dependent on your ability, not the author's. The worst that can be said is that the module is not for inexperienced or uncreative DMs. However, to limit the audience by DM skill isn't desirable in this industry. DMs should become experienced by handling material like this because no matter how much joining material there is, they will still find it difficult until they loosen up and learn to wedge things in with plenty of believable miagination.

Psion writes:

“Further, none of the default characters are rogues (yet they where somehow chosen for an assassination attempt)”

In all of history, have all assassinations been conducted by Rogues? If you’re a king and a few rogues show up at a meeting in your throne room, what might you expect? This was clear to me. Unfortunately, this would not be clear to the literal minded computer players of DnD. So, yes, this is a flaw in that it doesn't cater in clarity to those who would not grasp the general situation. Those who would score low on a reading comprehension test would not understand this fact. It used to be that gamers were all able to read. Today the reading level requires that an author be more explicit if writing for a n audience of 100,000. Fortunately, Mr. Kuntz is still writign under the old assumpotion that dome of us can read and think. Elsewise, we'd be paying him for more fluff and less creative content.

Psion arbitrarily writes:

“…the maze can go on forever, as at each corner there is a hallway that teleports you to the hallway in the opposite corner. The text states that this ruse is totally and completely undetectable. I found this rather arbitrary, which is perfectly in keeping with the first edition feel that they are striving for, but in my opinion this is one of those bad first edition traits I would gladly leave behind. I would have much rather have seen them take the chance to live up to the "third edition rules" part of their slogan and given you a spot check….”

Why would a spot check be necessary? The idea is conducive to the plot. The rules shouldn’t limit the ability to introduce plot devices. This isn’t RULES-PLAYING. This is role-playing. Why would they notice it? Is it because there is a rule which exists? Should he have stated this was a DC of 60? He's saying that there are no features whcih would clue people into the transport. The walls are all consistent. If the carpet were more worn in one area compared to another, or if debris were left on the floor, perhaps. Or if air pressure changed, perhaps. But with no REASON for them to spot a difference, it makes NO SENSE to give them an ARBITRARY spot check. The natural ability of all players of the GAME to notice the pattern of the maze repeating would also not require a roll, since this is something which might dawn on the players as they experience this sense of the "adventure." To give them a spot check would preclude this sense of the adventure from growing on the players.

Psion writes:

“if they don't have a teleport spell, which is easily available at this level” in reference to the party escaping easily.

Well, they could have an Earthquake spell on a scroll as well, and there’s no saying they might not be able to dig out of the dungeon or wish themselves out, or any other number of a thousand other possibilities. However, all of this is covered under the section you must not have read and understood. It might have been written more explicitly, but again, Psion must not have understood it as so many others have. The section is on page 4, titled, “guidelines for regular players,” and states, “…none of the players may be equipped for a dungeon adventure…” and furthermore states, “__After checking the whole of this work__, DMs should have a fair idea about which items are or are not useful…” which implies that if you are using regular characters, you should probably notice that a teleport spell will need to be avoided if it occurs to you that a player might take one. Just as a writer may not give directions concenrign the PCs relieving themselves, there are some things which a DM can gloss over without decreasing the sense of adventure and fantasy in the game. Personally, as a DM I can think of a thousand ways to avoid the teleport situation. That is what the Dm is for: to keep the players in the adventure, reacting to the thousands of paths they could take leading away from it if they would decrease the drama and fun.

Psion writes:

“I found the harem encounter a bit jarring. Apparently, the intent was to lull the characters into believing they are just captives of king Ovar, and nothing in the room description or the depiction suggests anything otherwise. But once the jig is up and they get to combat, you will notice that the female fighter just so happens to be wearing full plate armor. Curious.”

It is even more curious that you have CLEARLY not read the encounter entirely!

It is clear in the description of Hrolga that she is wearing armor that “appears scored with many cuts and scratches and has over this a reversible yellow/green cape….. Hrolga did not receive receive her wounds from the spawn as Veerdra possibly suggests in conversation.” So, here we have the author admitting that the players will see this woman’s armor, using the word APPEARS, to indicate this. And furthermore, the author describes what might happen in conversation with the players, where Veerdra is making suggestions explaining the marks on the armor.

Psion, if the author can fogive your lack of reading skill, perhaps you can forgive the author's D20 mistakes? But if you're going to burn someone for their inaccuracies, you should try to be more accurate yourself. That is why professinal reviews are needed. Not sloppy reviews.

Keep in mind as well, you're reviewing someone's creation. To find flaws which aren't even flaws is unnerving. That anyone can do this in a public forum means that equal space to correcting the damage should be given, such as I am taking right here.

Psion writes when describing the monsters in the module:

“- Knight of Chaos: The knight of chaos is an animated statue of a knight. For some reason, it has a constitution score. This is somewhat vexing. Some early d20 system products made this mistake, but you would think that since the 3e books have been out over a year, most people would be up to speed on the fact that constructs and undead do not have constitution scores. Further, they seem to have an attack bonus about twice what it should be. There is a blurb in one of the abilities that implies that the knight of chaos somehow gets human qualities, but never really says what that means in game terms.”

It doesn’t need to describe it in 3rd edition game terms since it is clearly marked as an exception. I can find many of those in the 3rd edition rules themselves, where the rule is not fully explained (see 20th level monk abilities).

But the last sentence describing the Chaos Knight does explain this anomaly, saying, “The design DEFIES conventional understandings of this type of being, making it a superconstruct in many ways.” What is wrong with this? There needn’t be an entire section in the appendix detailing out "superconstructs." The idea stands as a method of adding mysterious content to an adventure. There is something mysterious about these. So what? Do you know everything there is about other types of creatures? No. Because they are explained differently in everyones campaigns. This is because the game is based on imagination.

In conclusion, Psion's review has a few merits, considering that there were distinct D20 errors made in the conversion process. But when did this conversion take place? It takes time to get material out. The conversion was possibly done some time ago, maybe even close to D20 coming out.

But after reading all of Psion's review, and all of the module, I find that 90% of his points are simply mistaken, and I truly wonder Psion has something against Rob Kuntz or Necromancer Games, or perhaps his motivation is innocent and he wants to be an important reviewer? Regardless, He is listed as an official reviewer for the ENWorld site. This means he should take more heat when he is just plain wrong!

Cergorach

The Laughing One
Every offense intended!
It seems that YOU have a personal grudge against Alan 'Psion' Kohler, atleast that's what you 'little' comment seems to indicate.

I read the entire review and must say that only quoting particular sentences is a bad move, especially when the following sentences explain the statement (or didn't you understand that?).

Psion states some important isues, things i would like to know before i bought an adventure (i already buy everything from Necro, so this point is mood for me, but for others it's very important. The adventure does try to railroad the characters and doesn't give really any good leadins for the characters to participate in the adventure. I expect that from a D20 adventure these days (portability into ones campaign), i don't want to spend an hour figuring out how to 'port' an adventure. Also explanations like "it mysteriously happens..." are NOT good, atleast give the DM an explanation why it happens (why wouldn't the characters notice that hey're being teleported around?).

Argh, i'm spending way to much time and effort on this reply!

Suffice it to say that Psions review is based on objecivity and neutrality, your opinion is based on anger and just drips acid, that is what i call bad form...

ps. Yes my opinion also drips acid and i really hope it bites your ass off *grins evily*

Midnight Rider

First Post
Cergorach said:
Argh, i'm spending way to much time and effort on this reply!

Suffice it to say that Psions review is based on objecivity and neutrality, your opinion is based on anger and just drips acid, that is what i call bad form...

ps. Yes my opinion also drips acid and i really hope it bites your ass off *grins evily*

I'm simply posting my opinion for the pleasure of showing how Psion's points aren't the entire story. Psion has not been objective. The journalistic standard for objectivity requires a thorough and broad reading in addition to a broad critique. He broadly critiques the work. He does not give it a broad reading.

As for anger, read into the text whatever is convenient to you. Naturally, anyone who fears disagreement and isn't accustomed to it would find acid and hatred in lively argument.

I am certain of one thing. You were not part of your debate team in school.

Cergorach

The Laughing One
Midnight Rider said:
I am certain of one thing. You were not part of your debate team in school.

Nope, i'm quite certain i was not, i tend to remember annoying pricks ;-p

I'm certainly not averse to debates, but i tend to not to bother with people who seemingly have already made up their minds...

Also when you want to start a debate one generally doesn't use an attack as a starting point. It gives the impression that one has already made up his mind, thus making a debate a waste of time. Especially across the internet this becomes a problem, the written word can often not carry over ones intentions...

My advice, start over with a little less of an agressive stance, that could help. Also your outbursts in a certain other thread don't speak well for you (don't know what your talking about in there), your not setting yourself up to be a person that people will listen to, unless you change your approach on here you'll end up as an idiot that shouts but no one is listening...

HellHound

ENnies winner and NOT Scrappy Doo
"which implies that if you are using regular characters, you should probably notice that a teleport spell will need to be avoided if it occurs to you that a player might take one. "

How do you do this? Suddenly tell the cleric with the Travel Domain that their god has revoked their bonus domain spell this week?

We aren't talking equipment here, but basic abilities of characters at that level.

Darke

First Post
Thumbs down

Thumbs down @ Midnight Rider

It's your opinion (if it's an opinion at all, I'm not sure about that - could be just a personal attack - that's what I think of it) , but that doesn't make it the truth.

I agree mostly with Psion's review about MOZ1.

das Darke

Last edited:

Psion

Adventurer
Midnight Rider said:
My reply:

As an experienced judge you have a million options for altering this and putting it into your campaign.

Sure you can. If you couldn't, it would be a 1, not a three. But an adventure that does not support itself or is inherently inflexible deserves to have that point mentioned. Where I to fail to mention it, people would be aggravated when they buy the module and find out that the have to wrench it into their games. If this mode of play does not bother you, then my statement shouldn't bother you either. There is no way I can make my review morph to the tastes of the reader, so I have to cover as many bases as possible. But you would have me omit something that will be important, I imagine, to a significant portion of readers.

Psion writes:

In all of history, have all assassinations been conducted by Rogues?

Perhaps not. But given the usefulness a rogue would have had in the setting, combined with the oddness of not selecting a character with such subtlety and skill for such a task, the choice seemed odd to me. Omitting such a character in the face of a trap-filled labyrinth made me wonder if the objective was to have the characters be subject to every little obstacle they come across with no provision for character ability. If so, that sounds like bad form to me.

Why would a spot check be necessary? The idea is conducive to the plot. The rules shouldn’t limit the ability to introduce plot devices.

You may think so. And again, if you feel that way, then by all means you should not consider this a fault.

I do, and a significant portion of my audience does. It is NOT my obligation as a reviewer to cater to you specifically. Again, I cannot possibly write a review that will morph to the tastes of the reader.

AFAIAC, the rules are the eyes and ears of the players. If you engage in blatant arbitrary rulings and never give the PCs a chance to detect unusual events and occurances, you are engaging in a subtle form of railroading. I find that rather distasteful.

You don't have to agree, but for many people that is a bona fide fault.

“if they don't have a teleport spell, which is easily available at this level” in reference to the party escaping easily.

Well, they could have an Earthquake spell on a scroll as well, and there’s no saying they might not be able to dig out of the dungeon or wish themselves out, or any other number of a thousand other possibilities.

Don't be a goob. Earthquake spells are not at all typical for characters of this level. Teleport is. If the adventure writer does not take into account the likely abilities of the PCs at the given level, that is a bona fide weakness in the flexibility of the adventure, and it deserves being mentioned. Even if someone decides to buy the adventure, now they know that is something to think about.

But you would have me exclude that point.

However, all of this is covered under the section you must not have read and understood. It might have been written more explicitly, but again, Psion must not have understood it as so many others have. The section is on page 4, titled, “guidelines for regular players,” and states, “…none of the players may be equipped for a dungeon adventure…”

1) If you are a sorcerer, it won't matter what you decided to equip that day. And teleport is a very common first selection for a sorcerer's fifth level spell.
2) Even if you are a wizard, Teleport is not a reasonable choice if you intend to engage in an assassination? Think again.

Personally, as a DM I can think of a thousand ways to avoid the teleport situation.

That's very nice, but that does not dismiss the concern. The more leaks in a module the DM has to plug, the lower the value. The point of a purchased adventure is so that the GM has to do less work.

It is clear in the description of Hrolga that she is wearing armor that “appears scored with many cuts and scratches and has over this a reversible yellow/green cape…..

Mea Culpa.

Psion, if the author can fogive your lack of reading skill, perhaps you can forgive the author's D20 mistakes?

Oh yes, you are so right. I should fail to do my job as a reviewer out of sheer generosity for the author. :rolleyes:

That anyone can do this in a public forum means that equal space to correcting the damage should be given, such as I am taking right here.

That's very nice, but that's what the comments section of the reviews is for. Further, the blast of flames that you have chosen to greet me with is not necessary. It would have been sufficient to say "Actually, it is mentioned in the text."

News flash two: no I am not perfect. But nor am I getting paid for this, and I have a day job. I cannot afford the time to devour every word. But at least I own my mistakes.

“- Knight of Chaos: The knight of chaos is an animated statue of a knight. For some reason, it has a constitution score. This is somewhat vexing. Some early d20 system products made this mistake, but you would think that since the 3e books have been out over a year, most people would be up to speed on the fact that constructs and undead do not have constitution scores. Further, they seem to have an attack bonus about twice what it should be. There is a blurb in one of the abilities that implies that the knight of chaos somehow gets human qualities, but never really says what that means in game terms.”

It doesn’t need to describe it in 3rd edition game terms since it is clearly marked as an exception.

No, it is not. It has some cryptic line about being special, but never really says what that means. The combat section is not the place for flavor text. Say what you mean. If you mean "the unusual nature of the enchantment of the chaos knight makes it more like a living creature, providing it with a constitution score and the BAB advancement of a fighter", then that is what it should say.

But the last sentence describing the Chaos Knight does explain this anomaly, saying, “The design DEFIES conventional understandings of this type of being, making it a superconstruct in many ways.”

Right. I read that and even explicitly pointed out in my review. It's vague. What does "many ways" mean?

What is wrong with this? There needn’t be an entire section in the appendix detailing out "superconstructs."

OF course not. But saying what the mechanical impact is is a requirement.

The idea stands as a method of adding mysterious content to an adventure.

That's a ridiculous justification. There should be no secrets from the GM.

I truly wonder Psion has something against Rob Kuntz or Necromancer Games

Not at all. I have said nothing in this review that I wouldn't have said if anyone else put out a product with equivalent problems, and I resent such implications. Of late, you will even find me hanging out at the NG boards, and am on a fairly friendly basis with the folks there.

This means he should take more heat when he is just plain wrong!

Of course, you have cited only one instance which is clearly a mistake. The rest of your complaints are just grousing because I have dared to address the aspects that I feel most potential buyers will be interested in instead of addressing your specific tastes and needs.

If you would like to see a review that addresses your tastes and needs, then the simple solution is to write one from your viewpoint. I will warn you that you should not be using a review to flame other reviews or reviewers, though.

Last edited:

Axiomatic Unicorn

First Post
Midnight Rider,

Are you just trying to make people even more leery of this module (Or Necromancer games in total) or what? Because you aren’t doing them any favors with this lame cry-baby act.

I'm simply posting my opinion for the pleasure of showing how Psion's points aren't the entire story.

Interesting that you seem to give yourself the latitude to post opinions, but not Psion.

As an experienced judge you have a million options for altering this and putting it into your campaign. If you can’t come up with an alternate, then you should stick to the pregenerated characters. Your difficulty with this is dependent on your ability, not the author's. The worst that can be said is that the module is not for inexperienced or uncreative DMs. However, to limit the audience by DM skill isn't desirable in this industry. DMs should become experienced by handling material like this because no matter how much joining material there is, they will still find it difficult until they loosen up and learn to wedge things in with plenty of believable miagination.

Fine. To bad there is not one word here that makes Psion’s comments any less meaningful. It is obvious to me that this module is an extreme example of railroading. Any review of a module that included heavy railroading would be very poor indeed if it did not make this fact clear. As a DM with many years experience, I see no reason to buy a module that is going to force me to do extra work to use it.

None of your opinions above even begin to explain why the facts of the module which make it require “options for altering” or be “not for inexperienced or uncreative DMs” should not be pointed out in a good review. You seem to be ignoring the fact that every module can and will be modified. And they almost always are. You would prefer Psion waste his time and ours telling us what we already know to be true about all modules, rather than telling us what the obvious weak points in this specific module are.

If any legitimate comments regarding a module include the line “you should stick to the pregenerated characters”, then it is a strong indication that it is not a very good module.

In all of history, have all assassinations been conducted by Rogues? If you’re a king and a few rogues show up at a meeting in your throne room, what might you expect? This was clear to me. Unfortunately, this would not be clear to the literal minded computer players of DnD. So, yes, this is a flaw in that it doesn't cater in clarity to those who would not grasp the general situation. Those who would score low on a reading comprehension test would not understand this fact. It used to be that gamers were all able to read. Today the reading level requires that an author be more explicit if writing for a n audience of 100,000. Fortunately, Mr. Kuntz is still writign under the old assumpotion that dome of us can read and think. Elsewise, we'd be paying him for more fluff and less creative content.

You seem to again miss the point that this kind of heavy handed railroading is BAD. A blanket ban on a class makes the module less valuable. It is that simple. One paragraph ago you were talking about “a million options” that the DM should be able to come up with. Now you are suddenly covering the total ban on rogues under the one option that a “few rogues” (not even just one but a few, and it appears they wear signs saying “I’m a rogue”.) is supposed to cover this heavy handed crap.

Your absurd, and completely erroneous, lame insults do nothing to dispute Psion’s claims. They simply make the petty nature of your response all the more clear.
They also clearly show that is you who can not understand what you read, because you clearly did not understand the point of Psion’s comments.

Why would a spot check be necessary? The idea is conducive to the plot. The rules shouldn’t limit the ability to introduce plot devices. This isn’t RULES-PLAYING. This is role-playing. Why would they notice it? Is it because there is a rule which exists? Should he have stated this was a DC of 60? He's saying that there are no features whcih would clue people into the transport. The walls are all consistent. If the carpet were more worn in one area compared to another, or if debris were left on the floor, perhaps. Or if air pressure changed, perhaps. But with no REASON for them to spot a difference, it makes NO SENSE to give them an ARBITRARY spot check. The natural ability of all players of the GAME to notice the pattern of the maze repeating would also not require a roll, since this is something which might dawn on the players as they experience this sense of the "adventure." To give them a spot check would preclude this sense of the adventure from growing on the players.

There are spot mechanics in the game. If the author is going to ignore the game mechanics and railroad the players and DM, it is only fair that an honest review will point out that the author could not think of anything more creative than railroading with an unbeatable challenge. Predestination is not rules-playing, role-playing or any other kind of playing. Are you really claiming that by giving the players less chance to control the events, that makes it a MORE pleasurable experience?!?!? Gee, I can’t wait until the sequel. Maybe it will just be a long story that you read to the players, inserting names in the correct slots. Now that will be fun.

Well, they could have an Earthquake spell on a scroll as well, and there’s no saying they might not be able to dig out of the dungeon or wish themselves out, or any other number of a thousand other possibilities. However, all of this is covered under the section you must not have read and understood. It might have been written more explicitly, but again, Psion must not have understood it as so many others have. The section is on page 4, titled, “guidelines for regular players,” and states, “…none of the players may be equipped for a dungeon adventure…” and furthermore states, “__After checking the whole of this work__, DMs should have a fair idea about which items are or are not useful…” which implies that if you are using regular characters, you should probably notice that a teleport spell will need to be avoided if it occurs to you that a player might take one. Just as a writer may not give directions concenrign the PCs relieving themselves, there are some things which a DM can gloss over without decreasing the sense of adventure and fantasy in the game. Personally, as a DM I can think of a thousand ways to avoid the teleport situation. That is what the Dm is for: to keep the players in the adventure, reacting to the thousands of paths they could take leading away from it if they would decrease the drama and fun.

Obviously, you missed the point again. Knowing the spell teleport and limiting items that characters have are completely separate. Not to mention that now YOU are pointing out a whole new set of railroading that Psion did not. If the “relieving themselves” comment really compares to banning standard parts of the game in your mind, then I understand your viewpoint a little better.

You may have a slight point in the Harem part. But I am far from convinced. It seems clear that the point of the scene is to trick the characters into thinking that they are in a safe place. If the DM describes a harem girl in armor, the trick won’t work, if he doesn’t he has cheated. Either way it is bad design.

As to the “superconstruct”, I don’t buy that either. Slapping a new word on something does not make ignoring the standard rules a good idea. I could throw a L1 human wizard in a game, but then say he can cast magic missile 7 times a day, with each casting creating 7 missiles that do 10 points of damage each. My basis? He’s a “super wizard”. “Superconstruct” is just a lazy way to ignore the rules. Can he do that? Certainly? Should a good review point it out? Absolutely.

You claim the Psion’s review was full of errors. I fail to see that as being even close to the truth. You have convinced me that the review was, in fact, very accurate.

drnuncheon

Explorer
Midnight Rider said:

Psion writes:

“Prisoners of the Maze starts out by declaring that the PCs are members of a conspiracy to kill the King (King Ovar). Having failed, they get tossed in the a maze constructed by the King's wacko wizard, Zayene.

I can hear my players now. "We do WHAT!?" …… Unfortunately, this kneecaps any efforts to integrate this adventure into an ongoing campaign where getting the players with free will to go along with such a scheme might actually be a challenge. “

My reply:

As an experienced judge you have a million options for altering this and putting it into your campaign. If you can’t come up with an alternate, then you should stick to the pregenerated characters.

I believe - and I hope I'm not putting words in Psions mouth here - that his primary point in writing such a statement in the review would be to underline the fact that only a single 'hook' is provided for the adventure - and one that will not be applicable to many campaigns.

The ease of fitting a pre-written adventure into a campaign is an important think to note when reviewing such a product - I know that I as a DM like to know such things when I am considering one of my rare module purchases.

Psion writes:

“Further, none of the default characters are rogues (yet they where somehow chosen for an assassination attempt)”

In all of history, have all assassinations been conducted by Rogues? If you’re a king and a few rogues show up at a meeting in your throne room, what might you expect?

Do rogues usually have large neon signs hanging over their heads, blinking on and off, that say 'ROGUE'? Disguise is a class skill for them, you know.

To answer your actual question, though - no, not all assassinations have to be committed by rogues. However, a rogue is the core class best suited for such an activity, and to neglect to include one is a large oversight that probably ought to be explained.

Psion arbitrarily writes:

“…the maze can go on forever, as at each corner there is a hallway that teleports you to the hallway in the opposite corner. The text states that this ruse is totally and completely undetectable. I found this rather arbitrary, which is perfectly in keeping with the first edition feel that they are striving for, but in my opinion this is one of those bad first edition traits I would gladly leave behind. I would have much rather have seen them take the chance to live up to the "third edition rules" part of their slogan and given you a spot check….”

Why would a spot check be necessary? The idea is conducive to the plot. The rules shouldn’t limit the ability to introduce plot devices. This isn’t RULES-PLAYING. This is role-playing. Why would they notice it? Is it because there is a rule which exists? Should he have stated this was a DC of 60? He's saying that there are no features whcih would clue people into the transport.

How is the transport accomplished? Is it by magic? Teleportation Circle maybe? Wouldn't detect magic find it? Couldn't a rogue's Traps ability detect it? They can find other magical traps - oh, wait, there aren't any rogues.

The point is that that sort of arbitrary crap was OK in first edition because there really weren't any kind of rules to handle it. In 3e, though, there are - and it behooves the authors to either handle them in 3e style, or take heat for it when they do not.

Psion writes:

Non-Rogue: "Hey guys, let's go assassinate the king!"

Wizard: "Good idea. We'd better have a way to get out of there, though. I know, I'll memorize my teleport spell!"

GM: "Uh...you can't do that. Because...because it would ruin the plot."

...except of course, the wizard turning into a moron for purposes of "the plot" would be just as jarring, if not more so.

A scenario should take into account the common abilities and capabilities of a party at the levels it is designed for. Anything else is poor design, and means more work for the DM - which means that Psion is absolutely correct to point it out in his review.

If you're going to write for a party of characters that are levels 9-12 you need to assume they can cast teleport. It's a darn useful spell, especially given the setup of the adventure.

But after reading all of Psion's review, and all of the module, I find that 90% of his points are simply mistaken, and I truly wonder Psion has something against Rob Kuntz or Necromancer Games, or perhaps his motivation is innocent and he wants to be an important reviewer? Regardless, He is listed as an official reviewer for the ENWorld site. This means he should take more heat when he is just plain wrong!

Funny...after reading Psion's review and your reponse, I find about 80% of your points are simply mistaken, and I truly wonder if you have something against Alan Kohler or ENWorld - especially given your other posts - or perhaps your motivation is innocent and you want to be an important poster?

J

tensen

First Post
Funny.. a review of a review. This should have been something posted on the 1st.

Seriously though.. reviews are opinions. If you disagree with the opinion, don't complain about the review... write what you consider a proper review of the item.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads