Critter Bits and Magic Recipes!

Feathercircle

First Post
Too late... tired....

I'm going to try to tackle some more of these tomorrow in the morning before I go to the Rennaisance Faire... but, for BOZ, a question...

Did your survey of the Ecology articles include the griffon in Dragon 161 or the darkmantle in 275? If you covered them, I'll omit those, but if not, or if you dont reply by tomorrow evening, I'll post them.

Richards

Legend
I think originally Boz was asking for pre-3E info. The darkmantle first appeared in 3E. But if he can use it, then by all means pass it on...it's not like there was a whole lot of darkmantle lore going before 3E anyway, right?

Johnathan

Feathercircle

First Post
Richards said:
I think originally Boz was asking for pre-3E info. The darkmantle first appeared in 3E. But if he can use it, then by all means pass it on...it's not like there was a whole lot of darkmantle lore going before 3E anyway, right?

Johnathan

Actually, I looked at the first page, and he said to go right ahead and post things from Dragon since they're unlikely to be reprinted elsewhere... and he already had the darkmantle reference that I mentioned. On a similar note, BOZ, should I scour my extensive two-magazine collection of Dungeon as well, or should I leave those alone?

Regardless, from Dragon 193 we have:
However, (again, according to Emerald) the powdered remains of [the spiderstone golem are useful in the creation of magical scrolls and items related to spiders, webs, and the abilities of of spiders (e.g.; a scroll ofspider climb, cloak of arachnida, arrow of slaying arachnids, etc.).

Except in the services of their masters, brain golems have no place in the ecology of the underearth. However, parts of them are useful in the manufacture of mind-affecting magical items (according to Sage Emerald, at least).

And in Dragon 161, in case we missed it, the griffon:
An exceedingly rare species of griffon is known to have a peculiar sense that allows it to detect gold up to 10' away. Since gold is of little value to griffons except as nest decoration, they do not often excercise this ability. Even so, this species can tell a fake piece of gold at a glance. A narrow strip of dark fur over the middle of the chest seems to grant this ability. It is possible to use this fur to enchant an item to locate gold. The difficulty in this is that the fur must come from a live griffon, and few if any are willing to part with their fur. If fur is removed from a live donor (which is necessary in order for this power to be transferred), the griffon's gold-detecting ability fades for a year while the fur grows back on its chest.

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
i'm back, with a couple more for ya! :D

Dragon 88: Rust Monster

The bacteria [in a rust monster’s body] can survive, and continue to act through the antennae, for 6-105 days after the death of the host rust monster, depending on the availability of food. The bacteria can thrive on previously devoured metallic oxides in the stomach and bloodstream of the monster, any metallic weapons left lodged in the monster’s body, or newly introduced metal -but the bacteria will die when such supplies are exhausted. A rust monster antenna that was placed in a bowl of water with rust and a lot of metal could continue to thrive indefinitely, and perhaps could even be carried as a weapon for occasions of 5 days or less before the bacteria would need to have their food supply replenished.

Dragon 95: Cockatrice

The cockatrice’s petrification power does not “turn off” automatically when the creature falls asleep or is rendered unconscious, but a dead cockatrice does not retain the power — except for the uncontrollable “stoning” power of its tailfeathers, which remains in effect for 1-4 days after the creature’s demise. (Saving throws against petrification by the tailfeathers are made at +1 if the cockatrice is dead or the feathers have been separated from the creature.)
Some mages (see Elminster’s tale, above, and AD&D ® game module WG5, “Mordenkainen’s Fantastic Adventure”) have devised means of preserving the petrifying powers (and physical integrity) of cockatrice tailfeathers. One such method (from the notebooks of Arbane the Mighty) is reproduced here:
For the making of whips, hats, cloaks and the like adorned with cockatrice tailfeathers, the feathers must be magically preserved. To do this, take a cauldron, and into it pour equal parts of oil of etherealness, aqua regia, and human tears (at least half an ounce of each). Mix this liquid well with a glass or crystal rod, and heat it to boiling while stirring in at least 6000 gp worth of powdered agate and either six whole (live or dead) cerebral parasites or the blood (7 drops or more) of a slaad, a githyanki, or a nightmare.
Stir this mixture until the solid components are dissolved, and then immerse the cockatrice feathers in the liquid while it is boiling. (A mending spell must be used beforehand on the feathers if they are broken, bent, or crumpled.) Take the cauldron away from the heat immediately after putting the feathers into the liquid, and let the cauldron stand until the liquid evaporates.
The cockatrice feathers will then be intact, resilient, and flexible, and will remain so forever (unless damaged or destroyed), retaining the power to permanently petrify living creatures (save vs. petrification at +1) by touch.
Feathers preserved in this fashion can only affect other creatures by direct contact on the Prime Material Plane or on the plane occupied by the bearer of the feathers; they cannot simultaneously affect creatures on the Astral or Ethereal planes or any other plane except the one that the feathers are physically present on.

Feathercircle

First Post
Meh, I don't want to type out the full description for these new spells/items, so I'll just summarize and paraphrase, okay?

Dragon 275 has a spell called Mass Strength (essentially a multiperson bull's strength which uses "a few hairs from any kind of giant" as a component.

Nixie's grace, a new spell from Dragon 314, has as its focus "A lock of nixie's hair, freely given to you by the nixie".

From Dragon 320, the spellaspect of the earth hunter uses a small piece of bulette shell for a component and displacer form utilizes a displacer beast claw.

Dragon 304 has some unusual chests, including the trollflesh chest, which is just as it sounds, and a chest consisting of live green slime held between alchemical layers of glassy resin. It's also got a few spells for monstrous casters with critter bit components: greater spell resistance (uses hair from a drow), blood drinker (a vampire tooth), channel the void (a piece of flesh taken from an energy-draining undead creature, negative energy aura (a piece of bone from a once-undead creature),and gullet of teeth (a purple worm's tooth). Lycanthrope casters, by using a lock of hair (or the equivalent thereof) from their animal form, can use strength of the beast, and the spells poison claws andshare symbiosis require as their focus for the caster to touch a willing creature that fits the spell description (poisonous for the first, and having a symbiotic link like a bajang or dryad for the latter).

I'm not sure if the boots of the gap from Dragon 270 qualify as magical, since they work by utilizing a pair phase modules harvested by the very technological phaser sheen, but I suppose they're worth listing.

More to come.

Bloodsparrow

First Post
fourthmensch said:
Why is it you're not looking for 3e info? Because there's not a lot, but there's some; for instance in the Draconomicon, etc.

I think the idea is that 3/3.5e stuff is easy to get, so it doesn't really need to be collected together. (At least, for now.)

That and the fact that WotC is currently making money off of that material, as opposed to all of the earlyer stuff.

Remove ads