• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Cross Class Skill question

Unseelie

First Post
Now, this is technically in reference to D20M, but the question would be the same regardless, so I will state it as a 3e question. If this is in the manual, please forgive me, I don't have the PBH or D20M handy at the moment.

Let's say I'm a Fighter/Rogue. I have previously, as a Fighter, raised my Handle Animal skill to its max at that level. I have since leveled again, and decide to put some of my Rogue skill points into Handle Animal as well.

Can I do so?

Clearly, if it was maxed previously, I could only bring my rank up by one. However, it's a cross class skill for rogue, and is already above the level I can raise it to as a cross class skill.

Ex. Handle Animal is at 4 at first level. I gain a level, which would allow that to be raised to a 5 as a class skill, or 2.5 as a cross class skill.

Yes you can.
Any skill that was only ones on your list of classskills, has its ranks limit raised to your classskill limit but you have still to spend 2 points per rank if it is not on your current classskilllist. Furthermore any class exclusive skills can't be raised as a crossclass skill.

DiFier

First Post
Unseelie said:
Now, this is technically in reference to D20M, but the question would be the same regardless, so I will state it as a 3e question. If this is in the manual, please forgive me, I don't have the PBH or D20M handy at the moment.

Let's say I'm a Fighter/Rogue. I have previously, as a Fighter, raised my Handle Animal skill to its max at that level. I have since leveled again, and decide to put some of my Rogue skill points into Handle Animal as well.

Can I do so?

Clearly, if it was maxed previously, I could only bring my rank up by one. However, it's a cross class skill for rogue, and is already above the level I can raise it to as a cross class skill.

Ex. Handle Animal is at 4 at first level. I gain a level, which would allow that to be raised to a 5 as a class skill, or 2.5 as a cross class skill.

Yes. You would spend 2 of your rogue points to get one level of handel animal. the max is still your total level + 3. if you had no HA skill and want to get it at 5 it would cost you 10 skill points.

dcollins

Explorer
See PH p. 56, under "Skills". Your max ranks is 3 + total character level for a class skill (from any class) like Handle Animal.

jlhorner1974

First Post
To clarify what the others are saying, if a skill is a class skill for ANY of your classes, then the rank limit is your character level + 3.

Only if a skill is cross-class for ALL of your classes is the rank limit (your character level + 3) / 2

Regardless of the above, a skill rank still costs either 1 or 2 points, based on whether the skill is a class skill for the class that gave you the skill points.

Example:

A Fighter 5/Monk 7 has a rank limit of 15 for Tumble and Handle Animal (because these are both class skills for at least one of his classes), whereas his rank limit for Appraise and Bluff are 7.5 (these skills are cross-class for all his classes.)

If he just acquired a Monk level, he must spend his skill points as a Monk. This means he can purchase a rank of Tumble for 1 skill point (because it is a class skill for Monks) but to purchase a rank of Handle Animal costs 2 skill points (because Handle Animal is cross-class for Monks).

(Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.)

Last edited:

DiFier

First Post
jlhorner1974 said:
A Fighter 5/Monk 7 has a rank limit of 15 for Tumble and Handle Animal (because these are both class skills for at least one of his classes), whereas his rank limit for Appraise and Bluff are 7.5 (these skills are cross-class for all his classes.)

If he just acquired a Monk level, he must spend his skill points as a Monk. This means he can purchase a rank of Tumble for 1 skill point (because it is a class skill for Monks) but to purchase a rank of Handle Animal costs 2 skill points (because Handle Animal is cross-class for Monks).

(Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.)

The first part isn't how I interperted the rule but I can't tell you if your right or wrong. the second part is right.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads