• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon and D&D

LostSoul

Adventurer
NoOneofConsequence said:
I'll have to watch it again (I've only seen it twice) because I remember it as having a larger than one handed hilt.

Well, you can still use a long sword two-handed. If it doesn't have enough room for another hand, it's probably a short sword. Bastard swords are ones that are too big for anyone without "exotic" training to use one-handed.

Horacio

LostInBrittany
Supporter
Darkness said:
You, of course; hong can only grow into fine young stick target practice dummy, after all.

Horacio blushes lightly politely and tries his best British accent

I thank you your commentary, my fellow European friend...

Returning to the thread theme...

What kind of magic do you think Green Destiny had, in D&D terms?
Why keen defender?

hong

WotC's bitch
Horacio said:

What kind of magic do you think Green Destiny had, in D&D terms?
Why keen defender?

Defending: there's the scene near the end, where he uses the sword to deflect a bunch of darts thrown by the evil assassin woman.

Keen: if _you_ had a magic rapier, wouldn't you make it keen?

Really though, there's no rigorous rationale for any of this. It's just what seems coolest to me. All you can really say is that it isn't a flaming, shock frost weapon of thundering. ;)

cerberus2112

First Post
The Green Destiny Sunders

What was that new weapon enhancement from Sunken Citadel? The Green Destiny sword has that; how many weapons did she break in the fight? She wasn't strong enough to do that with a regular sword!

wolff96

First Post
The Green Destiny was a Butterfly Sword, IMO. It's a weapon from one of the monk-related splat books that a monk can use with their favorable number of blows. The book even mentions the flexibility of the blade.

In addition, the four main characters -- Li, the Jade Fox, Xiou Long (the girl), and Yu Shu Lien (Li's fiancee) -- were all very high level.

The Jade Fox is the lowest level and the easiest. She's a rogue/assassin. She uses poison, tries to get a sneak attack on Li when she has the chance, and is easily dispatched by some of the nastiest poison I've ever seen.

Yu Shu Lien is a high level monk/fighter. We see she has proficiency with a very large number of weapon types, is good at unarmed combat, and has a little bit of the jumping and balance skills that make the girl and Liu so amazingly acrobatic. She has just made epic levels (21st) and took the feat that allows Deflect Arrows to work more than once per round.

Xiou Long (the girl) is an epic level rogue/monk/thief-acrobat. She dances along rooftops, practically flies (legendary leaper), balances on bamboo trees, and can fight far better than all the warrior 1-3s on the combat circuit. She's not a highly epic character, but she is epic.

Li Mu Bai is an epic level monk. He has the exotic weapon proficiency needed to handle the Green Destiny. He has Expertise and Improved Disarm (he takes the Green Destiny away from Xiou with a stick and doesn't draw an AoO). He has the legendary leaping and balancing feats (they run across water -- something specifically mentioned in the ELH). What's more important... he has the feat that allows you to use Deflect Arrows more than once per round! When the Jade Fox makes her attack with her super-blowgun, he does roll a 1... and a dart kills him.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads