Crowdfunding News: Age of Antiquity, Book of Beastly Creatures, and more

This week, I look at RPG Kickstarters that end on or before July 9th. While I do not cover all of the available projects, there’s a nice number of projects including a number that are heavily D&D and OSR. In terms of goal obtainment, there’s a nice range with some doing exceptional numbers to a few that are still building interest.

Age of Antiquity- An Ancient World Setting for 5E.jpg

Age of Antiquity: An Ancient World Setting for 5E from Aruzian Publishing :dndnext:
  • END DATE: Sun, July 5 2020 11:47 AM EDT.
  • SYSTEM(S): Dungeons & Dragons Fifth Edition
  • PROJECT TYPE: Sourcebook
  • MOST POPULAR PLEDGE: $45 + S/H for the PDF and hardcover of the game
“Archetypes, Backgrounds, Magic Items and more for 5th edition. Age of Antiquity is a historical fantasy campaign setting compatible with the 5th edition of the world's most popular role-playing game. Though inspired by true history, Age of Antiquity is an epic fantasy world equally inspired by the storied mythologies of ancient cultures. Mythical beasts prowl the untamed wilds outside the safe walls of the grand cities and powerful yet capricious Gods have direct influence in the lives of mortals, leading them in titanic clashes against rival pantheons. The book itself will be full color and range between 208 to 256 pages, depending on the stretch goals that are hit. Within the Age of Antiquity campaign setting you will find: Eight Ancient Cultures: From across the east and west, Rome, the Greek States, Greco-Occupied Egypt, the Kushite Kingdom, the Parthian Empire, the Warring States of China, the Celtic Tribes, [and] the Illyrian Kingdom, 12 New Archetypes, 15 New Backgrounds, 52 Gods, 150 Magic Items, [and] dozens of feats, spells and mythical creatures.”

The Book of Beastly Creatures (Stories, RPG Rules & Artwork).png

The Book of Beastly Creatures (Stories, RPG Rules & Artwork) from Hex Media :dndnext:
  • END DATE: Thu, July 9 2020 3:30 PM EDT.
  • PROJECT TYPE: “18 horror stories, with full-colour illustrations, and an appendix which features RPG rules for our monsters”
  • MOST POPULAR PLEDGE: £25 + £7 US S/H for digital and hardcover versions of the book
“Beautiful Hardback Book filled with Monstrous Stories, Stunning Artwork and RPG Rules! We've set up Hex Arcana Publishing in tribute to the spirit of 1970s and 80s genre books that combined chilling tales with gorgeous illustrated artwork. The Book of Beastly Creatures is our first book, a hefty, hardback volume of 18 horror stories, with full-colour illustrations, and an appendix which features RPG rules for our monsters, using the Open Game License. Each terrifying story stars a different monster, spectre, or demonic entity, with inspiration from a wide set of influences, from ancient mythology, to the supernatural, and the endless horrors of the cosmos. So, whatever you fear... rest assured, we have a monster here for you!”

Dancing With Bullets Under a Neon Sun- A Light Cyberpunk RPG.jpg

Dancing With Bullets Under a Neon Sun: A Light Cyberpunk RPG from Apollyon Inc. :osr:
  • END DATE: Sun, July 5 2020 11:59 AM EDT.
  • SYSTEM(S): OSR based on The Black Hack
  • PROJECT TYPE: Core rulebook
  • MOST POPULAR PLEDGE: $20 + S/H for the PDF and print versions of the book
  • NOTE: At d20 Radio, I wrote a piece about the rise of single-artist RPGs and used Dirk Leichty, artist on this project, as one of the examples
“An arthouse cyberpunk game in the style of the Old School Revival featuring art by Dirk Detweiler Leichty, and based on The Black Hack. Dancing with Bullets Under a Neon Sun is a weird cyberpunk RPG for fans of the OSR. Although based on The Black Hack, it is not just a clone with renamed classes, building on the system to create a new experience, introducing new mechanics to suit the setting and tone, and revamping character creation. The final product will be a 64 page 5.5" by 8.5" hardcover book featuring a full color interior and cover. Dancing with Bullets Under a Neon Sun will provide a unique ambiance to your cyberpunk game with the help of the wonderful neon-soaked isometric artwork of Dirk Leichty. Entering the Net isn't a mere hacking mini-game, it's a spiritual encounter between characters and a man-made electronic heaven. Technology is expensive, thrice recycled, and protected by arcane rituals only understood by wizard-scientists. Your characters aren't hackers or mercenaries—they're sharks, phreaks, and puppets.”

The Crystal Corruption- An Adventure & Minis for 5e D&D.png
The Crystal Corruption: An Adventure & Minis for 5e D&D from Anima Games :dndnext:
  • END DATE: Thu, July 9 2020 4:00 PM EDT.
  • PROJECT TYPE: Adventure module
  • MOST POPULAR PLEDGE: $10 for 3D printable miniatures (STL files)
“A brand new adventure for 5th edition DnD, with hardcover book, custom miniatures, maps, and more! The Crystal Corruption is a brand-new adventure book for the 5th Edition of the World’s Greatest Roleplaying Game: Dungeons and Dragons. This is a hardcover book (or PDF!) for 5th Edition D&D! The adventure will be for 4-6 players, taking them from level 1-10 and beyond. We need funding for art, layout, editing, printing and manufacturing costs. The current page count is about 200 pages, but will expand as we unlock stretch goals! A holy relic has been stolen from the temple of powerful, vengeful Fey, and now their curse threatens to destroy the lands of Ozamer.”

2 WORM 2 FURIOUS- A DCC RPG FUNNEL & MINI-SETTING.png

2 WORM 2 FURIOUS: A DCC RPG FUNNEL & MINI-SETTING from Orbital Intelligence LLC :dcc:
  • END DATE: Tue, July 7 2020 3:05 AM EDT.
  • SYSTEM(S): Dungeon Crawl Classics
  • MOST POPULAR PLEDGE: $25 + $5 US S/H for the PDF and hardcover of the book
  • NOTE: Sean Richer contributed content to an RPG zine I’m working on
“A level 0+ adventure & mini-setting for 4-6 players. CHASE A MUTATING GOD GRUB! For Dungeon Crawl Classics! With Art by Scrap Princess! A deadly funnel that revolves around an ever mutating and evolving moth grub. You’ll want 4-6 players, 15-20 level 0 characters, as it’s a funnel, but it works for levels 1+ (the worm adapts; don’t worry). THE grub has escaped and you have been charged by the God-Queen to bring it back to the hatchery, but this is a funnel after all… so stuff will inevitably go wrong and will likely be fatal. The worm grows and grows and grows and grows. The growth unlocks new abilities for the worm grub, ranging from taking a snooze, to spraying caustic acid. Its mutations don’t stop until it cocoons and becomes the Doombringer Moth. Scales will fall from its hallowed wings, and the god rays will immolate the kingdom. It will be an A5 Hardcover with Art by Scrap Princess! (over a dozen pieces!). It is currently hovering around 68 pages before layout and final editing.”

The doom of Northwood.jpg

The doom of Northwood from Maciontherrocks :dndnext:
  • END DATE: Sat, July 4 2020 1:39 AM EDT.
  • MOST POPULAR PLEDGE: €22
“Monster manual and adventure with the greatest art for D&D fifth edition. Great addition for any RPG collection! The Doom of Northwood is a 60-page adventure involving, as you would expect, a doomed city of undead creatures and new game mechanics that will be ideally suited for Dark Souls fans. It has dungeons, combat, investigation, and last but not least amazing custom artwork by Adrian Prado. Monsters of Gea - Northwood region is a monster manual currently containing monsters and unique encounters described as “Hard modes”. These are planned to be exceptionally dangerous and challenging for more advanced players. We hope that as we achieve stretch goals, we will be able to develop this manual further, with more horrors and aberrations still in the works. Inside each book we have fitted two subclasses that are perfect for our game setting. First, the Cleric of the Steel Cross Order. He is a hybrid of mage hunter-cleric devoted to Aio, the Sun God. Second, The Whisperer. A Rogue subclass that serves Isara, the Moon Goddess, Patron of Secrets.”

QUICK HITS

The Hike That Binds Us - RPG from The Humble Approach Collective
  • END DATE: Fri, July 3 2020 11:09 AM EDT.
  • “A long distance hiking & survival RPG. The manual and other components are designed to look and feel like real hiking supplies.”
Metallic Tome: A Sourcebook for OSR Games from Neoplastic Press :osr:
  • END DATE: Mon, July 6 2020 1:48 AM EDT.
  • Metallic Tome is a sourcebook for old-school role-playing games; it's inspired by heavy metal music.”
Collection of Rpg Maps, a huge galleon, and 5th ed adventure from Map Alchemists
  • END DATE: Sun, July 5 2020 11:00 AM EDT.
  • “A series of RPG maps of a huge Galleon, an Island, 2 Inns, pirates tokens, art pack, a Captain sheet, merchant boats and even more.”
NEUROCITY from Gavriel Quiroga
  • END DATE: Fri, July 3 2020 10:44 PM EDT.
  • “A tech-noir roleplaying game with an emphasis on psychology and existentialism.”
Truly Wild Magic: Remastered! Random Magic Effects for RPGs! from Session Zero Games :dndnext:
  • END DATE: Sun, July 5 2020 1:49 PM EDT.
  • “Freshly re-imagined, now more expertly realized card deck based on the original cards created for 5e & other TTRPG's!”
Super High School RPG from HIRUKOA
  • END DATE: Thu, July 9 2020 9:05 AM EDT.
  • Super High School is a narrative superhero RPG with simple mechanics. It's aimed at teens but it is easy to adapt for all ages.”
Egg Embry participates in the OneBookShelf Affiliate Program and is an Amazon Associate. These programs provide advertising fees by linking to DriveThruRPG and Amazon.

Egg Embry

Egg Embry

Ghost2020

Adventurer
Northwood...BACKED

The Crystal Corruption...Watching...pretty confident this will hit the goal.

Also watching The Path of the Vanished by Pacesetter.

Thanks for the updates!

dave2008

Legend
Age of Antiquity seems interesting and it covers more regions / myths than just Greco-Roman:

"Eight Ancient Cultures: From across the east and west, Rome, the Greek States, Greco-Occupied Egypt, the Kushite Kingdom, the Parthian Empire, the Warring States of China, the Celtic Tribes, [and] the Illyrian Kingdom, 12 New Archetypes, 15 New Backgrounds, 52 Gods, 150 Magic Items, [and] dozens of feats, spells and mythical creatures.”

I will likely back that one

Paragon Lost

Terminally Lost
Hey Egg, enjoyed your article D20radio. Had to post here because the only way to post there is via Facebook and I refuse to do Facebook. Also thee D20radio website is unsecure, in 2020 that shouldn't even be a thing. Anyhow, good read thanks for sharing the link. :)

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
Age of Antiquity seems interesting and it covers more regions / myths than just Greco-Roman:

"Eight Ancient Cultures: From across the east and west, Rome, the Greek States, Greco-Occupied Egypt, the Kushite Kingdom, the Parthian Empire, the Warring States of China, the Celtic Tribes, [and] the Illyrian Kingdom, 12 New Archetypes, 15 New Backgrounds, 52 Gods, 150 Magic Items, [and] dozens of feats, spells and mythical creatures.”

I will likely back that one

It does look cool. I find the PDF pledge a little pricey; I'd go for the hardcover, but that damn Canadian shipping cost is brutal!

Tales and Chronicles

I'm pretty much all digital these days.

Cool, I thought about it too.

Maybe you'll be able to give me an honest answer: does 35 CAD$ seems a little high for a 200ish pages PDF ? IIRC I've bought physical books of the same lengths not long ago for relatively less.

dave2008

Legend
Maybe you'll be able to give me an honest answer: does 35 CAD$ seems a little high for a 200ish pages PDF ? IIRC I've bought physical books of the same lengths not long ago for relatively less.
Well if I understand the conversion rate properly, that is about 25 US$. Theros was $30 US$ (on DnDBeyonf) for about 256 pages. I typically don't like to pay more than 20 US$ for a PDF, but there are exceptions - and this might be one. If it hits the 256 page mark it seems in the right range if a bit on the high side. Acceptable if it is good, to much if it isn't.

Tales and Chronicles

Well if I understand the conversion rate properly, that is about 25 US$. Theros was $30 US$ (on DnDBeyonf) for about 256 pages. I typically don't like to pay more than 20 US$ for a PDF, but there are exceptions - and this might be one. If it hits the 256 page mark it seems in the right range if a bit on the high side. Acceptable if it is good, to much if it isn't.

I agree with your assessment. Anyway, at least it interested in playing an alternate-fantasy-earth game someday. Never thought about that before.

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases