Pathfinder 1E Crowns of Ice - A Tale of Blood and Betrayal - III

Archon Basileus

First Post
HALLS OF DUST
(ALEC MACTRIER)

The hearth burned fiercely as old Embla fed it even more. The wrinkled matron dragged her feet, a look of surprise on everyone’s faces as she energetically ran back and forth like a young girl.

“Seven Bruises, woman, that’s enough!” – Garth insisted, pointing to the fires. “How tall do you want it to go?” – Jarl Alec’s aid became nervous whenever Embla turned obsessed with something. And she had been doing it a lot lately.

“It will be enough when I say so, Garth… Now go fetch the kitchen girls, the tables need mead and game…” – she rasped while poking the fire nervously. “And see if the Jarl needs anything… He’s probably coming to greet his people…” – she silenced suddenly. Embla had helped raise Alec’s daughters with care and diligence. In fact, almost everyone could remember Embla taking care of the local children, tending to wounds and serving in the longhouse. Embla was as old as anyone could recall. Many would say she even began to look like an elm tree as time passed, the muscles twisted over the bones beneath a thin, wrinkled and spotted skin.

Garth took his time.

“She’ll be fine…” – he finally said. “Einar is a great Jarl… He’ll protect her. Don’t worry, old Embla…”

“Aye, he is the son of a great Jarl… And that’s what concerns me the most…” – she replied, contemplating the furious lights she had unleashed.

“Trust our Lord, Embla…” – he reminded her, his fingers brushing the crossed circle pending from his neck, a symbol of the Demiurge.

“I trust him to leave us to our decisions, Garth... And I hope our lady Astrid has done the right one…” – she falls silent for a moment, waving at the aid with impatience. “But no more of this! Go! I’ll check on Sylvia… Before she’s sent to Göttland or Gorias or anywhere else…” – the old woman moans and leaves the fire to roar through the halls, waiting for the arrival of the Jarl.

[The longhouse is open and festivities begin! Even though you're one daughter shorter... Well, at least the food is good! I imagined you'd have opened your halls to part with Astrid, as tradition would ask, and that you would keep the party going a bit longer, using it to discuss plans for the coming summer]

@Fenris @Queenie @tglassy @Jago

Last edited:

tglassy

Adventurer
Alec stood at the window of one of his towers, watching as his daughter left him. It was a bittersweet moment. On the one hand, she reminded him of his late wife, and he wanted to keep every reminder of her with him.

On the other hand, she was a grown woman, and looking after her was getting to be more and more challenging with Sylvia growing into womanhood. Still, he would rather she'd chosen a different husband.

Up above, a hawk flew, circling the tower. With a mental nudge, Alec sent an empathetic command to the hawk. "Watch over my little girl, Avriel. One more time. Make sure she arrives safely."

As his familiar took off towards his daughter's caravan, he turned and made his way to the party. Social gatherings were not something he enjoyed doing, but as his mines and craftsmen were a major source of steel in the area, he felt duty bound to speak with them. Alliances were made over that steel, and it would be bad to simply insult his potential buyers. They could, after all, go to a different supplier.

He entered the dining chamber, and plastered a smile on his face, ready to greet whoever came to him.

Archon Basileus

First Post
ALEC

There is no shortage of relevant faces and names in Alec’s hall today. From cousins of the Gataberg lines to sages from the Peak of Sacrifice, all neighboring countries are represented. As Alec enters the hall, it is the festive Búi Elofsson, from the mining families of the valleys, that rises a boastful toast. “Health and prosperity to the MacTiers!” – a chorus of voices follow the salutation, horns raised as the lord passes. Many take turns complimenting Alec, some with sincerity, others with obvious interests. Soon enough, he is brought to occupy his elevated table, showing his figure before the hole hall. Around him, noblemen of neighboring lands, as well as his own countrymen, begin to feast, loudly and joyful.

Búi profits from the situation and rises, dancing around and singing loudly with the bards. He approaches the table, bends over and compliments Alec once again.

“Not every day one gets to marry away a daughter. May the Demiurge, the Unifier and all saints watch over her, old friend” – Elof’s four sons were a regular presence in Alec’s halls, as well as loyal subjects and reliable business partners. Their line, along with five other families, commissioned the construction of the Highwalls, a system of towers and watches designed to protect, enclose and unify the valleys and its villages.

“Now, Jarl Alec… I am proud and honored to be the emissary of my countrymen. We have left you a gift, meant to honor your daughter’s marriage and alleviate the separation. It has been delivered to your chambers, I believe, under care of your faithful servants.” – he smiles respectfully, noticing the presence of bishop Ketil – or bishop Flavius, as he insisted on being called since his ordination – at the Jarl’s table.

tglassy

Adventurer
The Jarl's eyes narrowed a bit at the mention of a "gift", and wondered what poor lass was now waiting in his room. He'd just send her away, like he did all the others.

"You are too kind, Búi," he said, a little irony in his voice. "Please, enjoy the food and mead, while you can. I fear I may need to retire soon. Excuse me."

He moved away from the man, and on to the other guests, asking about their families, inquiring about business but keeping it light. This was a party, after all. He began looking around for Sylvia, but didn't see her immediately. He knew she loved these occasions, so she was probably dancing or flirting. Or both. He shook her head. Thirteen and already knew how to wind men around her little finger.

Archon Basileus

First Post
ALEC

Before leaving, Búi smiles slyly towards the Jarl. He still insists in handling him a wrapped cloth the size of a closed fist, saying it will allow him a taste before he retires. The sample could be accepted or turned down without causing alarm, given the distraction of the guests. As far as Alec can see, the content seems solid and sphere-like in shape, and odd offering, considering the likely nature of the gift.

[Does Alec take the package or ignore Búi’s gesture?]

After being dismissed by the Jarl, Búi moves around the hall, laughing as before, and reaches a reserved corner, along with his companions from the valley.

Alec goes around a central table, where some of his hirdmen eat. Stern Olav Olavsson shares mead with Liv the Archer as usual, both sworn to each other ever since the Great Wolf Hunt – Olav would be dead if not for the coveted maiden. She now wore the beast’s pelt over her shoulders, while Olav wore the claws along with a set of scars upon his chest. Small, sly Oddmund the Spider caressed the lire as Orvar Halfman drank against Ragnhild the Shieldmaiden, both unflinching.

And, accompanying the lord’s steps on the other side of the table, a maiden of great beauty danced to the sound of music. She mirrored Alec’s steps without shame or restraint. She dressed lively yellow, enveloped in a bearskin cape, crowned with rich adornments, matching the golden hair. Clear eyes studied severely the lord, contrasting the easy, pearl-like smile. As both reach the end of the table, she approaches the Jarl, taking his arm in a respectful, albeit close, movement.

“The Peak of Sacrifice sends its felicitations… May never-ending happiness and prosperity visit your lives” – she smiles warmly, resting her hand softly upon the Jarl’s arm as she bows.

“I am Runa of the Alva. The Blesser sends her apologies as well. She wanted to be here herself, but pressing matters retained her. I am sure you can understand, my Jarl” – she glances at him with a peculiar mixture of innocence and wisdom.

Pagans. The Peak of Sacrifice held great influence upon many of MacTier’s neighbors – and even some subjects. As people use to say “Nobody ignores a mountain” – to which pagans would aid – “not even the Unifier”.

“May I accompany you through your hall for a moment, my Jarl?” – she asks in an enticing voice, ample, moist eyes staring at the Jarl.

tglassy

Adventurer
Alec accepts the gift from Bui, not sure what it is, considering what he expected the gift in his room to be.

When Bui left, he noticed the woman dancing, and steeled himself. He hated this constant attention from everyone concerning what he did in his bedroom. He supposed most men in his situation would glory in the attention, but to him it just felt false. They wanted his station, not him. They didn't even know him. And he didn't know them.

When Runa introduced herself, he smiled at her, and tried not to insult her.

"Of course," he said, letting her direct his steps away from the crowds, slipping Bui's package into a pocket.

Archon Basileus

First Post
ALEC

Alec puts the hard package away, cold and heavy as a lump of stone.

“You have always been known for your generosity, Jarl Alec” – the woman continues as they walk across the hall. “There’s wisdom in this. Even defended by high walls and strong gates, people say that the valleys are nevertheless dangerous. Your tribesmen told me stories of how Ullr and Skadi made their wedding bed into the valleys, and Ullr adorned her with the bronze and iron from the surrounding mountains.” – she smiles, studying the Jarl’s features for a while. “Others would say that it’s simply a blessing from the Demiurge, looking after the needs of his children” – she pauses for a second. “In the end, happiness visits men from time to time, and that is all that matters. Would you not agree?” – she smiles pleasantly.

Looking over his shoulder for a moment, Alec sees that the bishop took notice of the woman’s approach. Despite his love for mead and game, the man seems to be keeping his attention focused on the pair, a disapproving look upon his face.

“Tell me, Jarl Alec, would I abuse of your generosity if I asked you a favor? I assure you, it is for a good cause.” – she awaits his answer. Alec notices eyes falling over him as he passes around with the lady, demiurgian and pagan eyes as well.

tglassy

Adventurer
Alec's look grows slightly stern. He shares a look with the Bishop, hoping to convey he was not leading the woman on. He hated having to deal with the thoughts and expectations of others, but he had grown used to it.

"I am not accustomed to granting favors without hearing what they are. Tell me what it is you need, and I will tell you if it is within my power."

Archon Basileus

First Post
ALEC

"I am not accustomed to granting favors without hearing what they are. Tell me what it is you need, and I will tell you if it is within my power."

“Something rather simple, my lord…” – the woman speaks in a soft, cautious tone, as the bishop rises from his chair and begins a subtle march towards the two of them. “After some talk, I realized a few members of your community are devoted to the gods of our land…” – the last words are incisive enough to pull Alec’s attention towards the vague speech of the priestess. “Therefore, I would like to conduct some prayers and blessings on behalf of lady Astrid’s wedding… That is, if you do not mind, of course…” – her appeal ends as soon as the bishop arrives. She probably hoped to hide the request from Flavius but, considering the bishop’s background, this would not be the case.

Flavius limits himself to a bow towards the woman.

“No offense” – he says to the woman, and then begins towards Alec – “but you certainly know this would not be appropriate, my lord. As the Unifier teaches us, no false deity shall be worshiped. Remind yourself of the Chronicle of the Astray. The kings who allowed idols to be built…”

“… in the sacred hills of the Demiurge were punished by his wrath.” – the woman finishes, startling the bishop. “It is an interesting story, Bishop Ketil…” – she emphasizes his birth name – “...but should a kind demiurgian lord deny freedom of belief among his own? Would they be happy and accepting of a belief that, so far, is new to our lands?” – she finishes, glancing towards the two men.

“Kindness can be a gift from the Lord, but might as well be an instrument of the Enemy. Should lord Alec allow such intrusion of idolatry, he might pollute his own faith and shun his responsibilities as a demiurgian leader.” – the bishop looks towards Alec, hopeful and inflexible, while Runa contemplates the lord with a longing gaze.

Last edited:

tglassy

Adventurer
Alec held his hand up to the bishop, and looks to Runa.

"It is not in my nature to force religion on anyone. I have been lenient with your people in an effort to embody the principles the Demiurge teaches. As such, I have not forbade you your holy places, in the understanding that you would respect ours.

"To offer your prayers to one who does not believe in your gods would be to disrespect the tenants of my faith. You are aware of our scriptures, as you have shown. So you understand what you are asking.

"I cannot help but wonder what you would hope to gain by putting me in this situation. If I deny you, then you can claim me intolerant and judgmental. If I accept, your people can use this precedent to incorporate more of your religion into the day to day affairs of my people, and I lose face with the Church.

"So tell me, as someone who understands the position such a question would put me in, why would you pose it at all?"

Sent from my iPhone using EN World mobile app

Remove ads