(CSRHoD) Creamsteak's Red Hand of Doom [IC]

pathfinderq1

First Post
"I guess it is safe to say that this place is inhabited," Tyrla said quietly, as the party surveyed the keep from the shelter of the tree line. "I don't suppose any of you are up to a little scouting- perhaps we can fall back a bit, then attack with the light of a new day- I'd imagine most of the beasties in there can see in the dark..."

Pinotage

Explorer
Avril - Human Druid - AC 16 - hp 36/36 - Spot +11 - Listen +11
Scarlet - Riding Dog - AC 22 - hp 30/30 - Spot +5 - Listen +5

With relief evident on her face Avril passed by Scarlet and gave the dog a friendly pat as she dashed across the bridge away from the hydra, the chuul, and her crocodiles. "Nicely done," she complimented Larian, before continuing to put some distance between them and the hydra. Her magic, combined with Siobhan's, had managed to get Warren well on his feet, although that was going to be pretty much the extent of her powerful healing for the day.

Once they reached the keep, Avril remained quiet while she tried to listen for anything that might reveal the nature of their intruders. She didn't like the sound of the occupants in any case. Turning to Tyrla, she said, "You're right. It's occupied, but I'd rather not take this place by night. It'll be much easier to come first thing in the morning when we're fresh and can hopefully catch them while they're sleeping. I might do a little scouting myself as an owl before the night is out. Let's hope they don't have any shot-happy archers up there or something worse. Hopefully an owl won't cause any undue attention."

She turned to Jorr. "What kind of owls do you find here in the Witchwood? Best not draw too much attention to myself if I'm going to scout." She briefly looked at Scarlet and the two horses. Both would need her attention when she got back. "Larian, will you look after Scarlet while I'm gone?" And then, giving enough time for objection, she turned into the shape of an owl, and headed into the night.

[SBLOCK=OOC]
OOC: What did Jorr do while we were fighting the hydra? Is he a combattent? Also, Listen +11 and Spot +11 while they're near the keep, and while she's flying around as an owl. Trying to get an idea of the type and number of creatures around the keep. Won't land anywhere, merely flying about and taking her time. She'll pass by once, wait a few minutes before heading back again. This is a quick reconnaisance, not a detailed investigation. She doesn't want something nasty happening to her.

Spells and Abilities Active:

Wild Shape (Owl, 5 hours)

Spells Cast and Abilities/Items Used:

Summon Nature's Ally III (Call Lightning)
Cure Moderate Wounds
Wild Shape (1 Used)

Spells Prepared:

Level 0 (5): Cure Minor Wounds, Detect Magic, Guidance, Naturewatch, Resistance
Level 1 (4): Cure Light Wounds, Enrage Animal, Entangle, Produce Flame
Level 2 (3): Barkskin, Bear's Endurance, Cat's Grace
Level 3 (2):
[/SBLOCK]

Redclaw

First Post
Larian smiles and nods in response to Avril's question. Of course I'll keep an eye on her. She's certainly done the same for me in the past. He then takes another look at the keep, thoughtfully considering everyone's concerns. Jorr mentioned wolf tracks. Doesn't that make it less likely that we'll be able to remain hidden during their hunting time? While I'm always in favor of caution, wouldn't we rather head in and take them out now, rather than having them come across us in the middle of the night? We still have a few hours before it gets truly dark.

[sblock=spells]Spells Prepared
0-Detect Magic, Lesser Acid Orb, Mage Hand, Daze
1-Shocking Grasp, True Srike, Color Spray, Enlarge Person (Trans.)
2-Scorching Ray, Scorching Ray, Invisibility, Bull’s Strength (Trans.)
3-Mass Resist Energy, Fireball, Haste (Trans.)

Spells in effect
Mage Armor--Until 10 hours after we left Drellin's Ferry

Rod of Extend--2 uses left
[/sblock]

DrZombie

First Post
"Best we wait 'till the scouts come back before we decide, lads. There'll be plenty slaughter in the days to come, it can wait another thirty minutes or so." The dwarf says. He readies his bow and axe, and waits patiently but alert untill the birdie returns.

Arkhandus

First Post
Warren the halfling

Warren is silent for a while after the hydra fight, thinking and wondering what might spring out of the marshes or woods next. He figures Avril's decision to scout the building in animal form is sound, so he doesn't offer to scout it out himself. He'd rather see how Avril fares at scouting the place out first.

(ooc: Just been waiting to see if/how much Siobhan was going to heal Warren, and what the others were planning to do next. Warren's at 15/33 HP after Avril's healing earlier.)

Creamsteak

Explorer
OOC: What did Jorr do while we were fighting the hydra? Is he a combattent?

Jorr is a noncombatant unless threatened or asked specifically to get involved. Otherwise he just opts to "Leave it to the professionals."

Also, Listen +11 and Spot +11 while they're near the keep, and while she's flying around as an owl. Trying to get an idea of the type and number of creatures around the keep. Won't land anywhere, merely flying about and taking her time. She'll pass by once, wait a few minutes before heading back again. This is a quick reconnaisance, not a detailed investigation. She doesn't want something nasty happening to her.

attachment.php

The main road leads into the ruined gaithouse (1). The keep's gatehouse has seen better days. The watchtowers to either side have partially collapsed, and several large boulders lie strewn about. The decayed remains of two sets of large wooden gates lie in a heap on the ground.

Just outside, along the path, is a small shack (2). A small wooden shack sits to the east of the keep itself, near an overgrown patch of weeds that might have once been a fine garden.

The north and south watch towers flank the entrance path. (4) and (5). These are currently in ruins and devoid of occupants.

The center of the fort is a large open courtyard strewn with large boulders. (3). The courtyard of hard-packed earth has an eerie air of desolation. Jagged boulders embedded in the ground seem to have been dropped here, or thrown from a great distance; many of the walls bear large dents and cracks where these boulders might have once struck. Two massive skeletons lie at opposite ends of the courtyard, one propped up by the watchtower and the other sprawled at the far end by a building that could be a stable. To the south, where a section of the keeps outer wall has collapsed, a third giant skeleton lies partially buried in rubble.

A thatch roof covers the building to the north inside the courtyard. The building to the south-east has a large hole in it's side facing into the courtyard, however you would need to get close to see what's inside. The building to the south (except the tower) is covered by a thatch roof with two large holes cut through it, but you can't see inside without getting closer. From both of these holes smoke seems to be drifting up out of the building.

The tower's upper level has a strange sight. (11). The roof of this circular chamber has partially collapsed to the southeast. Massive timbers slump against the floor, fallen from the rafters above. A huge gap in the tower's east wall allows a brisk breeze into the chamber, which has four windows in the remaining walls. Three large boulders lie on the floor amid a halo of fractures and cracks.

Mounted about ten feet from the hole in the wall is what looks like a humanoid figure, lashed to a framework of wooden beams, arms upraised. A glow from beneath illuminates the figure in a pale light. The reek of rotting flesh fills the area.

Attachments

• 95684.jpg
    95684.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 152

Zoycitenega

First Post
While they've been waiting for the scouts to come back, Siobhan goes over to Warren, and casts Cure Moderate Wounds, healing the halfling for 15 points of damage.

[sblock=spells]Prepared spells: Orisons - Light, Guidance, Detect magicx2, Create Water.; 1st level - Bless, Comprehend Laguages, Divine Favor, Magic Weapon; 2nd level - Aid; 3rd level - Dispel magic, Searing Light.[/sblock]

pathfinderq1

First Post
Tyrla tried not to fret terribly as the reconnaisance went on. The fact that they had left the hydra behind galled her, and she hoped that this battle (for she was sure a fight lay in store) would go better. Almost reflexively, she curled and gestured with her gloved right hand, as if the destructive power could not wait to get out.

(Once we get our scouting report)
"So what say you all? Do we attack now, or wait for morning? Do you need daylight, or a night's rest for recharging your powers? I need neither, but I would have us all as ready as we can be, for this might be tough- it seems like something has set up quite a cozy roost here."

Pinotage

Explorer
Avril - Human Druid - AC 16 - hp 36/36 - Spot +11 - Listen +11
Scarlet - Riding Dog - AC 22 - hp 30/30 - Spot +5 - Listen +5

Avril's owl form returned to the others, and she quickly shifted back to her normal tiny, freckle-faced self. She righted her clothing and armorment once she was done, and it took her the better part of minute to get the owl out of her system. "That was worth it," she started, before explaining in brief terms to her allies the nature and layout of the keep. "It's definitely occupied, although that much was obvious. Unfortunately I couldn't quite glimpse anything on the interior, or hear anything that would give away the nature of the occupants. Judging by what I saw on the tower, I'd think they weren't friendly."

"One useful thing, though," she continued, "is the fact that I didn't see a single guard anywhere in the keep, and we now know exactly what the keep looks like. The main entrance seems as good a place as any to go in, unless we can somehow get in over the northern wall and attack from the roof. Most of the sounds and the smoke seems to be coming from the south-east corner, right next to the gate. If we go in through there, we can catch them quickly and by surprise."

She turned to Tyrla, "I was thinking about going in in the morning, but I'd rather not give away the element of surprise while we have it. Let's prepare ourselves, and cross in through the main gate. If we can separate those inside by luring some out and shutting the door on the others we might have an easy fight. Warren is ideally suited for that, unless somebody else can go while invisible. Either way, I think we should attack now. We move closer, prepare ourselves, and then go through the main gain. Try and lure some of those inside out, check if they're hostile, and divide their numbers if they're not. If things go wrong, we can use the main path for escape."

[SBLOCK=OOC]
OOC:

Spells and Abilities Active:

None

Spells Cast and Abilities/Items Used:

Summon Nature's Ally III (Call Lightning)
Cure Moderate Wounds
Wild Shape (1 Used)

Spells Prepared:

Level 0 (5): Cure Minor Wounds, Detect Magic, Guidance, Naturewatch, Resistance
Level 1 (4): Cure Light Wounds, Enrage Animal, Entangle, Produce Flame
Level 2 (3): Barkskin, Bear's Endurance, Cat's Grace
Level 3 (2):
[/SBLOCK]

Redclaw

First Post
Larian nods at much of what Avril says, but holds up a cautious hand at the mention of drawing attention. While I'm fully in favor of luring hostiles out, doesn't that run the risk of having all potential threats attack us at once? Even if we close the door, the keep you describe isn't without alternate exits for those with proper motivation. I feel that it might be better to attempt to infiltrate the buildings one at a time, in order to divide the enemy where possible.

[sblock=spells]Spells Prepared
0-Detect Magic, Lesser Acid Orb, Mage Hand, Daze
1-Shocking Grasp, True Srike, Color Spray, Enlarge Person (Trans.)
2-Scorching Ray, Scorching Ray, Invisibility, Bull’s Strength (Trans.)
3-Mass Resist Energy, Fireball, Haste (Trans.)

Spells in effect
Mage Armor--Until 10 hours after we left Drellin's Ferry

Rod of Extend--2 uses left
[/sblock]

Remove ads