• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

CSS Help - I really *don't* want to use a table

Michael Morris

First Post
On http://dev.enworld.org I hit a very wierd image / float bug in IE that the only solution I could come up with was to send a table based layout to IE. If anyone else could help on this I would prefer not having two layouts - one for Suckernet Exploder and one for the rest of the world.

FreeXenon

American Male (he/him); INTP ADHD Introverted Geek
Michael, could you be a little more specific as to what and where the issue is hiding?

Is the issue the 'Header Advertising' not centering at the top?

Michael Morris

First Post
For now I have the script giving IE a table to get the layout to work. Just look for the table in

http://dev.enworld.org

There's only the one :(

Compare the code against the version the PHP gives to Firefox (I'm browser sniffing server side to adjust the CSS and HTML according to the limitations of the browser).

Cyberia

Explorer
I just looked at the page in IE7 and FF, and I see some crashing text in the left column and text falling out of bounding boxes (assuming that was NOT the intended effect).

Can you reference what the issues are and what browsers your seeing them in.
(I'm a front end developer IRL, when not playing D&D :) ), so I've seen a lot of these types of issues before.

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
Could you be more specific about the problem you are seeing Michael?

I ask because in IE6 the version which gets sent to it (including the table) gives me a decidedly inferior layout when compared to saving the HTML that gets sent to Firefox and loading that up in IE6 locally - e.g. the contents of the lowerNewsBlocks DIV appear more messed up to me in the version delivered to IE6.

- I don't know exactly what the design plan is, but I'd be inclined to have two floated divs inside the lowerNewsBlocks div, and use the left hand one to hold the feature blocks and the right hand one for the article blocks, in order to keep them nicely marshalled.

So since the precise problem you want to fix isn't obvious to me, could you highlight (e.g. attach a picture to this thread with a ring around the problem area)?

Cheers

jimmifett

Banned
Banned
Plane Sailing said:
I ask because in IE6 the version which gets sent to it (including the table) gives me a decidedly inferior layout when compared to saving the HTML that gets sent to Firefox and loading that up in IE6 locally - e.g. the contents of the lowerNewsBlocks DIV appear more messed up to me in the version delivered to IE6.
Cheers

I strongly, STRONGLY suggest you take a look at your logs and see what percentage of users are still using IE 6. If the number is only a few percent (which has been my experience more and more with sites), it's time to stop coding for IE 6 compatability.

Yes yes, I know, no one wants to alienate any users, but with all the fixes in IE 7, you don't have to use nearly as complex css to fix browser bugs. You get to rewrite your CSS much more simplified and legible.

Take a look at your logs for the past 30 days. If IE 6 is less than say... 8%, dump IE 6 support and save yourself many MANY headaches.

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
jimmifett said:
I strongly, STRONGLY suggest you take a look at your logs and see what percentage of users are still using IE 6. If the number is only a few percent (which has been my experience more and more with sites), it's time to stop coding for IE 6 compatability.

Firefox 30.5%
IE 6 24.9%
IE 5 and earlier 20.8%

So I think you can see, IE6 is a pretty live issue :)

jimmifett

Banned
Banned
Plane Sailing said:
Firefox 30.5%
IE 6 24.9%
IE 5 and earlier 20.8%

How do you plan on dealing with the IE 5 users? CSS is totally whacked there. It's been so long, i don't even recall if IE 5 supports css.

Remove ads