D&D 4E Cu Cuhlaines Chariot Feat and Attacking on the Run.

Tony Vargas

Legend
He was a classic pretty boy hero seems standard and has definitely been portrayed as blond as well as a red and dark maned too many a time.
I'm not aware of many visual portrayals, but in the Tain Bo Culinge he's specifically called out as being one of the shorter, darker, sort of Irishmen.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
I'm not aware of many visual portrayals, but in the Tain Bo Culinge he's specifically called out as being one of the shorter, darker, sort of Irishmen.
Kind of funny he is also purported to be the descendant of Lugh Lamhfada (up the chain a bit) who was basically half giant (the Fir Bolg)

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
The wikipedia mentions he is described as both dark and dark browed and also that the prophetess Fedelm in the Táin Bó Cúailnge describes him as blond. He isnt consistently described. (which is what I remembered).

That image is from the game Smite and they tend to do their homework surprisingly enough. Although they have let themselves be bullied into changing some great portrayals too(and have multiple skins for the characters).

Last edited:

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
It occured to me Cu is like 8 years old or something if I recall when he first picked up his weaponry so presenting him as small might have been a reminder of him being a prodigy.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
It just occurred to me that while I haven't actualy played with Threatening Rush a part of my brain had been thinking that the act of marking those adjacent was during the movement, ie you could rush across the battle and mark any enemies you rushed past. Of course it is only for the enemies next to you when you make an attack so it's only awesome if they clump up, but I am now thinking a hybrid fighter Monk who used the daily power mentioned above to attack everyone adjacent as they move past is like threatening rush on overdrive. For comparison

1572709494746.png

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
So my thought is that a Fighter ahem controller build might have a class feature that changed threatening rush OR one could make a style feat that allowed threatening rush to mark enemies adjacent during movement the turn it is used and provided a bonus to AC vs opportunity attacks while you do it. The latter thought was based on thinking like the Thread about enabling the monk to go from striker to controller via feats (which ended up a new class feature). In effect the fighter version of the ability does not protect you fully from opportunity attacks like shifting might (the fighter has better hit points for a reason I suppose) perhaps it needs to do str damage to those you pass during epic? Allowing the at-will to scale in a more flavorful way than simply upping the damage of 1 attack to 2W.

Last edited:

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
I admit a part of me still feels loyal to the idea of Cu Chulainn as a fighter as he was mentioned in the 2e players handbook ;p although the martial artists travelling around seeking out techniques which he subsequently performs better than the master who trained him works fine as a monk flavor.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
What about a fighting style feat that allows a close burst of a martial type to be performed on the run Could call it Mobile Combatant and basically it spreads the joy of the burst to everyone adjacent. It could make the move a shift for controllers and improve defenses against opportunity attacks it provokes for others or similar....could naturally induce appropriate effects you would functionally have

Defenders Marking on the Run
for Strikers Damage on the Run
Controllers Conditions applied on the Run

Remove ads