Cubicle 7 No Longer Producing The One Ring and Adventures in Middle Earth

Cubicle 7 has announced that it will cease publishing Tolkien-related games, including The One Ring and Adventures in Middle Earth, in early 2020. The One Ring 2E is cancelled.

Cubicle 7 has announced that it will cease publishing Tolkien-related games, including The One Ring and Adventures in Middle Earth, in early 2020. The One Ring 2E is cancelled.

B350EFC7-4570-4EB9-9A11-CD1B2C9945F4.jpeg

‘I am with you at present,’ said Gandalf, ‘but soon I shall not be. I am not coming to the Shire.’

We have some very unfortunate and unexpected news to share. Contractual differences arose recently which we have been unable to resolve, and so we have decided to end our licensing agreement with Sophisticated Games. It is with regret that we have made this very tough decision to withdraw.

This means we will cease publishing The One Ring and Adventures in Middle-earth™ in the first half of 2020. Unfortunately, this doesn’t give us enough time to release the much-anticipated The One Ring – The Lord of the Rings Roleplaying Game second edition. As many of you know, our first edition of The One Ring is eight years old, and we had high hopes of a full product line to support our second edition. Our team have worked incredibly hard on this new edition; with many of the announced titles already written and edited, so being very close to completion makes this decision even harder.

We fully appreciate how invested so many of you are, both in regards to stock and your love of the game. Especially those who have followed our journey from first edition, or have customers who have pre-ordered the second edition or Rohan Region Guide. We sincerely apologise for the inconvenience caused.

We will continue selling our existing stock over the next few months. We will be offering some discounts on our website for consumers as part of our Black Friday sale this week. We will not be reprinting any of these titles, so if you wish to stock up, we would suggest you contact your preferred distributor soon.

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
Well this is a shame. I have all of the AiME books except for Erebor Adventures (which, according to Amazon, won't actually come out for another two days); I just pre-ordered it now from the Cubicle7 webstore, and purchased the Rohan Region Guide PDF over on DriveThruRPG since the print version has been cancelled. At least both sites are offering holiday sales at the moment... :cry:

Last edited:

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Judging by ToR 1e, at least, Crucible 7's expertise lies in making beautifully presented games that read great, but fall down at the table in gameplay. We gave it four sessions and gave up in frustration.

But that's a wider problem in the hobby - outside a handful of the biggies, most RPGs have a tiny customer-base. That means boutique games designed to read well and impress critics, but are awkward and cludgey to actually play. Of course, the buyer who reads the glowing reviews won't know this - and may never know it if, like most buyers, he just reads the game, marvels at how impressive it seems, and puts it on the shelf with a dozen other unplayed boutique games.
While not universal, that opinion is shared by many. TOR is well written but it system isn't as good as fan like to say.

Wild! I’ve run and played quite a lot of the system, and rarely had any issue whatsoever with the system. It runs very smoothly, is incredibly good at evoking precisely what it means to evoke, and is just an easy blast to play or run.

When I saw their 5e conversion my first thought was that I wish they’d do a general higher magic fantasy rpg on the same basic system as TOR instead.

Only issue we ever had wasn’t even the system, just the organization, and the pdf index they put out solved that for the most part.

I guess Disney notices is better agreements with other companies if Hasbro asks too much in the negotiations about toys & board games merchandising. And deals for some years are a good way to test a company could be bought in the future.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Did your opinion change when reading AiME?
I don’t understand the question. That’s a different system. It has no bearing in my opinion of TOR.

(ah, you were quoting somebody else. Sorry!)

Last edited:

sim-h

Explorer
He's quoting the other guy (villain6), the one who didn't enjoy TOR. I guess he means did anybody who didn't like TOR, find AiME better. Delete this post if you want.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads