Level Up (A5E) Culture names without Heritage references

Faolyn

(she/her)
I actually think this approach can be ultimately a little more limiting. Tunnel Halfling, for example, does pretty well for anyone inside an urban partisan resistance movement, and it's a little weird to have nationalities standing alongside "Collegiate" and "Circusfolk" which presumably could grow up in those same nations.

It's easier to reskin Forest Gnome to represent say, being raised by a tree spirit, than than it is to reskin the Singlennti people to that same end.
I would assume that any one nation would have multiple cultures in them. Depending on ones social status and personal history, an urban setting could have Imperial, Cosmopolitan, Tyrannized, Collegiate, and Tunneler (Tunnel Halfling) all within the same borders.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
You know, given how much acrimony is being stirred up with the new 5.5 and its races, how happy are we with the A5e heritage/culture/background/destiny system? So much better!

Faolyn

(she/her)
You know, given how much acrimony is being stirred up with the new 5.5 and its races, how happy are we with the A5e heritage/culture/background/destiny system? So much better!
My friends and I were talking about it last night and we all wondered why they didn't just go with the ancestry/culture route like in those 3pp books from Arcanist Press. I guess they felt that backgrounds were enough.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
My friends and I were talking about it last night and we all wondered why they didn't just go with the ancestry/culture route like in those 3pp books from Arcanist Press. I guess they felt that backgrounds were enough.
I think they're overly concerned about giving people too many choices, and are willing to compromise design to avoid it.

Remove ads