Curmudgeon's Corner: So, what's the deal with Critical Role?

Nebulous

Legend
I'd say that our tastes are pretty different.... but watching someone else play an RPG is something I find I can't do.

I can watch someone else play a video game, something which my wife doesn't get and even I find a bit weird.

But I get bored out of my mind watching someone play a RPG.

I can watch video game walkthroughs all day long on Youtube. Especially something wickedly difficult but amazing like Dark Souls that I don't have the patience or skill to play well. But watching people roleplay online? I can't stand it. Hate it. It is so damn boring, and I too don't understand the incredible appeal it has. But to each their own, I'm glad that the market has vastly expanded to incorporate new players.

Li Shenron

Legend
And, more importantly, why would I want to watch others play a game that I can play myself?

What can I say... maybe it's just not our (mine and yours) cup of tea.

I really tried to watch some of those shows, Matt Mercer's group, Sirens of the Realms, and some live stream by Chris Perkins... I had to force myself to last half an hour, then I just started to skip forward until I simply quit. They're good at it, but I just feel pointless in watching it. I could get some good ideas from watching, but I don't want to spend 2 hours in hope that maybe I catch those 20 seconds when something comes up that I had never thought about...

Even less I understand watching video gamers play, but my kids like doing that... I wonder how much it has to do with age. At least I know I cannot afford to spend 2 hours watching a show by myself, I only watch movies or whatever long stuff with family or friends, otherwise I instinctively think I should rather do something more useful, but obviously my school kids don't have the same problem.

cmad1977

Hero
The role playing doesn’t catch me. I listen so I can analyze the use of the rules in the moment. I guess I listen for the mechanical parts of the game.

Tony Vargas

Legend
, why would I want to watch others play a game that I can play myself?
Y'know, if you're playing a typical RPG, in which players assume the role of a character interacting with the world through the proxy of the DM (and yeah, the mode-average typical RPG is D&D), with 5 other people, and you're not said DM, and no one's dominating play, you probably are watching other people play the game about 80% of the time.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
I just...it’s not about watching them play the game.

It’s a story. It’s watching people you find entertaining tell a story while inhabiting interesting characters in an interesting world with no script.

It isn’t the same type of thing as watching someone play a video game.

macd21

Adventurer
I just...it’s not about watching them play the game.

It’s a story. It’s watching people you find entertaining tell a story while inhabiting interesting characters in an interesting world with no script.

This. I find the ‘why watch when I could play myself’ argument weird - sure you could, but you wouldn’t be playing this game with these PCs. I’ve been listening to the Glass Cannon podcast. The reason I do so is because I’m interested in the story - I want to know what happens to the characters, what challenges they face and how they overcome them. I’m never going to run the Giantslayer adventure path, and even if I did, it would be with different players running different characters, resulting in different outcomes.

Remove ads