D&D 5E Curse of Strahd Class Advice (No Spoilers Please)

If you are afraid they are too melee heavy for a Paladin, consider one of the other charisma classes. Both charisma duties and arcane spell duties seem to be unaddressed by the current party composition, and while it's not the most politics and persuasion heavy campaign, it's also not the least.

I would also consider Wizard, given that the party does not have any arcane magic, probably doesn't have anyone particularly good at knowledge checks, and that the adventure does have several opportunities to learn substantial numbers of spells.

Iry

Hero
Curse of Strahd is full of great AOE opportunities that happen to be in small rooms. That screams Evocation to me. Then you can throw in 1 level of Order Domain Cleric so you can command people to attack while cool explosions are happening, almost completely avoiding hurting your allies. You have the benefit of being able to throw out emergency Healing Words that also allow attacks, and you're a high level wizard for most of the game - with all the deliciousness that entails.

Yes, there are fancier wizard schools to pick from. But I really can't stress how many times Curse of Strahd has great AOE opportunities in tiny rooms. :D

Mort

Legend
Supporter
I'll echo a lot of the posts here and suggest you go with an arcane caster such as wizard or bard:

1. You're group doesn't have an arcane caster she they're very, very useful;

2. Arcane classes are fun - they bring a lot of versatility to the table, which is great in any campaign, certainly is for Curse of Stahd!

As to which one? Depends what you like to play, either works great.

I'd go with an Arcane Caster. Are you willing to try something different? Two Arcane caster options that would be good for Curse of Stradh are the Celestial Warlock and Divine Soul Sorcerer. Both get access to healing spells and radiant attacks. Also, you can attack at range and avoid the clutter of a melee heavy party.

High level Arcane casters are lots of fun. I played a 20th level Warlock with lots of boons and it was an Eldrich Blast!

I'll see myself out.

Remove ads